Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:12 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I have ESET and W10. Never been offered a "cleaning" or a "tune up."
ESET has begun offering "optimization" services for an added fee as part of their annual renewal package. To their credit, the default is "no" and there's no nagging on their part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM

8,344 posts, read 13,490,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Still drinking the Microsoft Kool aid I see. How does it feel being forced to update against your will? how does it feel to have "updates" installed that contain NSA backdoors? How does it feel to be data mined? How does it feel to run the least secure OS on the market? Please, Linxu > Windows all day, everyday and twice on Sunday. I'll never understand blind loyalty to a megacorporation that exploits it's customers.
Regardless of what you stated being accurate or not, or, whether I even agree with you or not, OP wasn't asking for an alternate OS to move to, instead she was asking for assistance/advice on what to do with a situation involving particular AV product.
So, yes, I have to agree with Peregrine, your reply wasn't helpful in this case.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:46 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,122,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Regardless of what you stated being accurate or not, or, whether I even agree with you or not, OP wasn't asking for an alternate OS to move to, instead she was asking for assistance/advice on what to do with a situation involving particular AV product.
So, yes, I have to agree with Peregrine, your reply wasn't helpful in this case.
Agreed!

In the context of this thread the OP was seeking guidance. What we don't need is this childish one-upmanship regarding "my os is better than your os" silliness

For what it's worth, there are plenty of free optimizers out there, not least from the likes of CCleaner and Microsoft's own base products that come built-in with their operating systems.

The nagware you get from the likes of Avast and ZoneAlarm is because you're using their products from free and must expect to be hassled with upgrading to supposedly more superior products - but this isn't the case for optimizing

Old 10-24-2016, 02:55 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,167,992 times
Quote:
Still drinking the Microsoft Kool aid I see. How does it feel being forced to update against your will? how does it feel to have "updates" installed that contain NSA backdoors? How does it feel to be data mined? How does it feel to run the least secure OS on the market? Please, Linxu > Windows all day, everyday and twice on Sunday. I'll never understand blind loyalty to a megacorporation that exploits it's customers.
The running joke around here is that whenever someone asks for a solution to whatever problem they may have, there'll inevitably be some blowhard who'll say "Migrate to Linux".

Old 10-24-2016, 03:21 PM

718 posts, read 1,151,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The running joke around here is that whenever someone asks for a solution to whatever problem they may have, there'll inevitably be some blowhard who'll say "Migrate to Linux".
And they don't even know that certain Linux distros (cough,... Mint, cough ... ) are just as unsecure?!

For example:
http://www.securityweek.com/linux-ba...oot-privileges
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...arger-problem/

Not to mention, they probably already have backdoors in Intel and AMD chips, Routers, ISP providers, etc....

"We're doomed ... we'll never make it ...." - Glum

Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 PM

16,561 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You forget "Get a Mac!"

Old 10-28-2016, 01:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,384,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
sasie123 install Ubuntu 16.10 on your PC and you ever forget about the antivirus and thoughtless waste of money and software service time.
And the saved go to the movies with a girl, and buy her ice cream.
https://www.ubuntu.com/
1610 isn't a long term service (LTS) distro. If she's going to go with Ubuntu, 16.04 would be better wouldn't it? 1604 is supported until 2021 I believe. Mint 17.3 or 18 are good also, both LTS distros. But, yeah, no virus worries with Linux.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:51 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,694,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Agreed!

In the context of this thread the OP was seeking guidance. What we don't need is this childish one-upmanship regarding "my os is better than your os" silliness

For what it's worth, there are plenty of free optimizers out there, not least from the likes of CCleaner and Microsoft's own base products that come built-in with their operating systems.

The nagware you get from the likes of Avast and ZoneAlarm is because you're using their products from free and must expect to be hassled with upgrading to supposedly more superior products - but this isn't the case for optimizing
Yea, because offering a viable solution to an exploitive product is "childish". Far be it for me to educate, I keep forgetting that society as a whole likes to keep it's head in the ground, because we've become too thin skinned to handle criticism or advice.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:55 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,694,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
And they don't even know that certain Linux distros (cough,... Mint, cough ... ) are just as unsecure?!

For example:
Linux Backdoor Doesn't Require Root Privileges | SecurityWeek.Com
Why the Linux Mint hack is an indicator of a larger problem - TechRepublic

Not to mention, they probably already have backdoors in Intel and AMD chips, Routers, ISP providers, etc....

"We're doomed ... we'll never make it ...." - Glum
No OS is perfect, but when you are talking just a handful or less security vulnerabilities vs 100+ from a Microsoft product, what are you going to choose? Come on, use some common sense.
Linux Distro's are actually patched, meanwhile, Microsoft tends to ignore most of theirs. Then again, Windows 10 is more concerned with mining your data than making your system secure.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Quote:
No OS is perfect, but when you are talking just a handful or less security vulnerabilities vs 100+ from a Microsoft product, what are you going to choose? Come on, use some common sense.
Uh... the one that works with all my stuff. The one I can game on. THe one that just about everyone I know can help me with if I need it. I don't have to go browsing forums to find out why Nitro is my PDF reader instead of Primo. O wait... Nitro doesn't work on Linux.

Quote:
Linux Distro's are actually patched, meanwhile, Microsoft tends to ignore most of theirs. Then again, Windows 10 is more concerned with mining your data than making your system secure.
Yea, there's no such thing as weekly security patches on MS OS'es....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers