Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
My house is very dusty, things get gunked-up quickly. Dust on components that generate heat, acts as a thermal blanket.

A *properly* installed heat-sink should have thermal paste between the bottom of the sink and the CPU chip. The CPU heats at different rates depending on load and ambient temperatures.

Web sites (like C-D) that run scripts can increase CPU load. The laptop I am using at this moment has a heat issue, the more C-D tabs I have open, the higher the load. Depending on the temperature in the house, this machine exhibits the symptoms that the OP describes when I am looking at C-D (and others). I resolved the issue temporarily by installing BHO that kills scripts (NoScript for FireFox), and allows me to selectively enable just the ones I want, and by throttling back the CPU.

Eventually I'll get around to unscrewing the 377 tiny screws that hold this thing together, clean the heat-sink and re-install with a new coat of thermal paste...some day...maybe...but right now it's just easier to keep the CPU throttled and kill the scripts.
What do you have for the processor? How can a modern processor be overloaded as a result of the action script on a Web site? Perhaps you have a Pentium 4!
Any case you can use dust proof PC box like that:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 04:00 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
What do you have for the processor? How can a modern processor be overloaded as a result of the action script on a Web site? Perhaps you have a Pentium 4!
Any case you can use dust proof PC box like that:
It's an old laptop running Vista, or whatever flavor of Linux I'm in the mood for (usually Knoppix, sometimes Mepis, sometimes Kali). It was fine running an older version of FireFox, I'd just disable javascript globally. Then I upgraded FF and the option was gone.

It's the proliferation of scripts that's killing it, which I realized after installing NoScript, which lets me see and selectively enable them. Without all the scripts, the CPU is/would be just fine. I don't feel any obligation to allow sites to monopolize my CPU cycles by running their scripts. If the feature is useful, I'll temporarily enable the script. Like the sidebar here that holds its place on the right side, with the 'recent' postings- I don't need it floating on my screen, so it's killed.

I haven't bought a new CPU since, oh, 2000 or so? I get cast off junk that people are chucking out, fix it and run it. I picked one up not long ago, when I fired it up it just went into a continuous reboot cycle. Turned out that it was mucked up with viruses. Cleaned it up, replaced the boot sector and it works just fine.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,924 times
Quote:
It's an old laptop running Vista, or whatever flavor of Linux I'm in the mood for (usually Knoppix, sometimes Mepis, sometimes Kali). It was fine running an older version of FireFox, I'd just disable javascript globally. Then I upgraded FF and the option was gone.

It's the proliferation of scripts that's killing it, which I realized after installing NoScript, which lets me see and selectively enable them. Without all the scripts, the CPU is/would be just fine. I don't feel any obligation to allow sites to monopolize my CPU cycles by running their scripts. If the feature is useful, I'll temporarily enable the script. Like the sidebar here that holds its place on the right side, with the 'recent' postings- I don't need it floating on my screen, so it's killed.

I haven't bought a new CPU since, oh, 2000 or so? I get cast off junk that people are chucking out, fix it and run it. I picked one up not long ago, when I fired it up it just went into a continuous reboot cycle. Turned out that it was mucked up with viruses. Cleaned it up, replaced the boot sector and it works just fine.

It's incredible!
I recomend use linux without graphical environment, just command line and lynx browser for websurfing.
Will work any old PC even! Its realy enjoyable tech way! Look at the web sites as they see computers!
Lynx2.8.8

Old 12-09-2016, 10:17 PM

20 posts, read 9,349 times
Which antivirus are you using now? Are you totally sure about its security level? You may try any other security system like SafeBytes. But I don't think it's a malware issue. May be your cooling fan isn't working properly, check it.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:58 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:

I have to update this:

Apparently, it was not *simply* the scripts that were causing the issue, there was another factor in play that it never even occurred to me to consider- prior to this year, I had no broadband service available to me so I was on dial-up (horribly slow, best speed I could get was 26k because I am so far from the TELCO). So, the dial-up connection was listed as the 'default'.

This year the TELCO finally got a fiber cable within a couple thousand feet of me and installed a box of DSLAMs, which made it so I could get DSL. I re-wired the house with CAT-5 to a multi-line central distribution hub (tel and video) and split the DSL from the phone line at the hub. Every other machine was good, except *this* one which is the oldest machine currently connected and only has a dual-core CPU (all the others are quads).

I *assumed* that this machine was so slow because it was only a dual-core, and because of the script load. Well, you know what happens when you 'assume' [stuff].

So, here's the deal- my DSL e-mail has never worked, because all of the tech info from the TELCO and their third-party 'tech support' was WRONG. I've been working on this sporadically, because I didn't really 'need' the TELCO e-mail account(s)- I simply continued using all of my other accounts, including the ones from the dial-up service which I am maintaining as a back-up (it's only $10 a month). Yesterday, I finally sussed out the CORRECT settings for the TELCO DSL e-mail and started setting up POP and IMAP configurations so that all out-going mail would use the TELCO server instead of the dial-up account server.

Lo and behold, when I ran a send-mail test from *this* machine, the dial-up box popped up. No, I didn't want to dial the regular phone line. I went in and changed the setting to 'never dial' and repeated the test- voila, it worked correctly. But here's the kicker- suddenly this machine was tons faster and CPU usage went from 86% to an average of about 7%.

It *appears* that because the dial-up was still listed as the 'default', every single thing that required the internet connection was causing a 'traffic jam' while the CPU checked to see if the default connection was available, and then (since it wasn't) re-routing it to the LAN connection.

Now I really feel like a dumbass for not thinking of this sooner. What a maroon. I've been cursing the poor performance for months, when it could have been quickly and easily fixed...if I hadn't head my head firmly stuck in my rectum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers