Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,339,899 times

Advertisements

OP, you scanned for viruses, but did you scan for spyware, which is far more likely given that you were paying bills/shopping? You can download free versions of both Spybot and Malwarebytes. To my knowledge they check for things my virus protection doesn't find. Registry issues, cookies, etc.

Also, if you have E-mail accounts check them and make sure your account isn't sending out spam in your name. Look in your sent message file. Also, send a message to someone you exchange E-mail with frequently and ask them if they've gotten anything weird sent from your account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:16 PM

16,559 posts, read 19,752,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manka View Post
Obviously there is. Why would you confuse others?
Really Manka? I would not purposefully try to confuse anyone.
MS fully intended to end Safe Mode when Win10 came out. I got it day 1 and there was no safe mode.
It was all over the internet. MS even said "Ono, it's still there, but Win10 loads so fast it's really hard to F8 into it".
I could never get it to work. Rebooting as stated in the link and getting to the blue screen with the reboot into safe mode option was non existent. Wasn't there.
It was obviously added back in.
Wow...I learned something new today. This is why I love IT. #AlwaysLearning
Anyway, I just tried it on mine and lo and behold, the Shift-Restart got me there.
However, I am still unable to do it without getting into Windows first. F8, nor Shift-F8 work on mine.
Anyone able to confirm it works on theirs?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:34 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Turned out to be a corrupt hard drive. It had to be replaced. It was still under warranty so it didn't cost anything to get fixed (outside of the pain of going to the store and using Geek Squad)

Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM

71 posts, read 82,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Turned out to be a corrupt hard drive. It had to be replaced. It was still under warranty so it didn't cost anything to get fixed (outside of the pain of going to the store and using Geek Squad)
If it was only corrupted, why did it needed to be replaced?
Why not reformat and reload?

Old 12-13-2016, 02:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,099,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_lepew View Post
Because that's the Geek Squad's answer to just about everything. "Oh, you need a new hard drive." Slap a pre-imaged drive in and send you on your way. Easiest and fastest way to get you out of the store.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:56 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,857,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Because that's the Geek Squad's answer to just about everything. "Oh, you need a new hard drive." Slap a pre-imaged drive in and send you on your way. Easiest and fastest way to get you out of the store.
Their motive isn't only easy or fast. It's easier, faster, and costs the customer as much money as possible.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_lepew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Their motive isn't only easy or fast. It's easier, faster, and costs the customer as much money as possible.
I figured geek squad wasn't going to be the cheapest answer but they were the only ones that I was able to make contact with regarding the computer. It was still covered under warranty so I just used the protection I purchased initially. Didn't cost anything extra.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:47 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,099,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Well, given that it was a warranty service, I didn't think that was relevant (in this case).

In addition to that, most of the chuckleheads there in other places really know almost nothing about what they are doing, or how the stuff works. I've been in various places sometimes (including there), when somebody wanted something fixed quick, and asked basic questions about this or that component and got either a blank stare in return, or a bunch of bovine fecalness that told me the 'tech' did not have the slightest clue about how to troubleshoot and fix a problem.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:21 PM

16,559 posts, read 19,752,412 times
If there was corruption on the disk, it could be failing. I assure you that is not normal. I am the first guy to slam Geek Squad, but this may have been the right call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers