Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:00 PM

25,632 posts, read 17,373,200 times

Advertisements

I use Win7.

Built my computer and own my Win7 64 bit software, and I don't want it any other way.

But if it was really up to me I'd still be using Win 98 and Netscape. It's just the way I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 PM

8,345 posts, read 13,493,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I use Win7.

Built my computer and own my Win7 64 bit software, and I don't want it any other way.

But if it was really up to me I'd still be using Win 98
and Netscape. It's just the way I am.
Dude111 should be popping in anytime now!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:01 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,102,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ interesting, since most tests have shown fewer demands.

I'm sure you can keep win7 for ten, maybe fifteen more years, especially if you never buy new or upgraded software that won't run on 7. Heck, there are machines still running WinXP, and I expect there are a few people that are still running DOS and Wordstar, maybe along side Lotus 123!
And...I would be one of those, except it's WordPerfect and MS Works instead of WordStar.

I haven't bought an O/S since Win98...which I still use on a couple of machines. I got Win2K Pro, Server, and Advanced Server for free from Micro$oft at a pre-introduction seminar. I have several machines that run XP, Vista and Win7, only because they were free.

I have never used Win 8 or 10...and don't intend to unless I end up in a job where it's on machines that aren't mine.

Any machine I have where the HDD fails and the O/S is unrecoverable gets some flavor of Linux. Some of my machines multi-boot various flavors of Linux and Windows (and one with O/S2 Warp), and I also use various CD/DVD Live Linux disks and/or USB sticks.

My Win7, Vista, and XP all *look* the same, which is to say, the same as Win95/98/2k. I even have some installations of Mepis Linux that look and feel like Win98.

There is no longer any need to settle for whatever M$ decides to shove at you.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
M$? What is this, 1998 and you're 14 years old?

I will never understand why people want to live in the past.

Modern Windows (or Mac OS or Linux) is more stable, more secure, and easier to use once you spend ten minutes getting used to it. Windows 8 was a bit jarring but even it was fine once you got used to a few weird changes. Same thing with stuff like office suites. Yes, you might have to spend a little time getting used to things, but once that initial learning is done you'll be faster every single time you use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers