Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 03:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, but that's the probem. not everyone agrees with everyone else.

I LOVE the new right click menu. MS said "90% of what people use all the time is there..." and they are absolutely correct.
But if you TRULY hate it...
https://pureinfotech.com/bring-back-...nu-windows-11/

I do not like how you can't MOVE the task bar up or to the sides. And I miss NOT combining open apps in the taskbar. But literally not a single show stopper for me.
I've already implemented that change. I just think it's crazy that you need to edit the registry in order to tweak the UI. It's easy for bad things to happen. There are 3rd party apps to make a lot of these changes, but wouldn't it be nice if MS built it into their own settings menu? How hard could that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 12:09 AM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
You kinda had an option... by turning automatic updates off and watching what you click (because in my experience, Microsoft isn't above tricking you into doing something).
On the contrary, they do try to sneak in that blue window where it shows "Let finish setting up your device"
Of course, you can click "Remind me in 3 days" or continue onto upgrading to Windows 11. So, yeah, they are about pushing their wants and wishes onto users for various different stuff. That is definitely one of the things I really dislike about them.

The proper way to stop the upgrade is to either disable SecureBoot or TPM because Windows 11 requires both to be enabled.
Alternatively, you can use the free standalone app InControl from GRC to achieve the same result with less effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I've already implemented that change. I just think it's crazy that you need to edit the registry in order to tweak the UI. It's easy for bad things to happen. There are 3rd party apps to make a lot of these changes, but wouldn't it be nice if MS built it into their own settings menu? How hard could that be?
I, too, hate the new menus in Windows 11 along with more Telemetry and other bloatware MS installs whether you like it or not. That is why I stayed on 10.

A very good privacy related Windows 10/11 tweaker is O&O Shutup (I know, weird name).

They have been dong this since the 90s. They seem to be more mindful of listening to the end users in the recent years. That said, there is also a feedback feature where you could drop Old Bill a line.

In the old days of Windows, they had Windows Power Tools and within that bundle or separately, users could download and use TweakUI tool which made such changes and made Windows much more tolerable. A shareware app called X-Setup was the mother of all tweakers up until Windows 7. The really neat thing about that app was, it would actually show which registry values were modified and how in its notes window.

From Windows 7 to Windows 11, one of my favorite Windows tweakers has to be Ultimate Windows Tweaker from The Windows Club.

I also like the following two freewares to customize and tweak Windows 11:
BloatyNosy (successor to ThisIsWin11 from the same developer)
Windows11 Classic Context Menu

I really liked StartAllBack but sadly, not a freebie and I think it stops working after its time runs out.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:56 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Just updated my new home PC to 11. 11 Home, btw.

Work PC has been on 11.

Truly the only thing I hate is the restrictions to the taskbar.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:57 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Heck. I just learned I could expand my taskbar on W10.

Guess after all these years of getting by, suddenly I will be discontent with a W11 machine.

Wonder if they decided it was appropriate to do that because of the preponderance of 16:9 machines.
I am looking at 2 16:10 screens for my desktop, but I suspect I would not care to expand the taskbar on my W11 laptop because it already feels cramped in height.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just updated my new home PC to 11. 11 Home, btw.

Work PC has been on 11.

Truly the only thing I hate is the restrictions to the taskbar.
I think the freebie Winaero Tweaker eases some of those restriction and make it behave more like 10.

I was just messing about with it this morning, it does offer quite a few more tweaks than other smaller tweakers I mentioned and probably best to use it alone on the same system.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 11 annoyances-winaero-classic-taskbar-01.jpg   Windows 11 annoyances-winaero-classic-taskbar-02.jpg   Windows 11 annoyances-winaero-classic-taskbar-03.jpg   Windows 11 annoyances-winaero-classic-taskbar-04.jpg  

Old 04-05-2023, 03:06 PM

To anyone interested in using any of the privacy tools aforementioned:

Some of the related options of Ultimate Windows Tweaker, BloatyNosy and O&O-Shutup will effectively disable some of the Windows system features and functions.
So, be very mindful of using these tools!

For example, they can disabled apps from accessing your microphone which will block any app such as Skype, Zoom, etc. from accessing and using the microphone during sessions.

So, again, make sure you know what you are doing. If unsure, leave those alone, or, do the related changes manually under SETTINGS > PRIVACY yourself.

Also, do not use multiple different apps with overlapping features/functions on the same machine.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 11 annoyances-privacy-security-microphone-access.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 04-05-2023 at 03:14 PM..

Old 04-05-2023, 07:52 PM

115 posts, read 103,181 times
Every other day, I find something new to hate about Windows 11. Today it is the favorite bar. I recently did a update and now my favorites bar items have been changed! GRRRRR!!!!

Old 04-05-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three20nine View Post
Every other day, I find something new to hate about Windows 11. Today it is the favorite bar. I recently did a update and now my favorites bar items have been changed! GRRRRR!!!!
In Edge browser? Changed how, the sorting or something else?

Old 04-06-2023, 07:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three20nine View Post
Yea, you need to be more specific. On the latest 11 and no clue what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
but I suspect I would not care to expand the taskbar on my W11 laptop because it already feels cramped in height.
It's not the height. It's:

#1 Pretty much the very first thing I always turned off in W10 after "Show Suggestions in Start Menu" was, "SHOW LABELS ON TASKBAR, COMBINE ONLY WHEN FULL" or whatever the exact wording is. When I have several Outlook or Word windows open it's easier to find the one I want. Rumor is this feature is coming back.
If you're not sure what I mean,
https://beebom.com/how-set-windows-1...never-combine/
#2 Being able to move the taskbar to the sides or the top.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
You kinda had an option... by turning automatic updates off and watching what you click (because in my experience, Microsoft isn't above tricking you into doing something).
Thanks...I think my IT department sets that and leaves it on. Not sure. Might be for security updates, patches, etc. I have no idea as I am a tech idiot, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers