Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:17 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

A few of my visited websites require entering the user name or the email address. In this photo you see the short list of two email addresses. That list appeared after I entered one or two characters of the correct email address. However the two seen at the top of this populated list are not accurate and I'd like to edit the list. As I enter more and more characters of the email address the correct one will appear on the list and I can choose that and proceed to login.

Since Windows 10 or Chrome is populating these possible email addresses for the account I wish to log into, there should be some setting to edit the list. I've looked in auto fill settings and not finding a solution.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
How to edit email addresses when logging into a site?-untitled.jpgffgty.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 09:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Delete the cookies for the site.

Instructions vary by browser. I use chrome with which you can click the lock icon to the left of the https in the address bar and go from there.

You could delete all the cookies but that would affect logins and other form data for all of the sites. You would have to re-enter those one by one as you use them.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:44 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
As gg said, site specific cookie is likely the cause.
You can use CCleaner and delete those specific sites' cookies while retaining the rest:
Options > Cookies then on the left section CTRL+A to select all the cookies you want to keep, holding down just the CTRL key, single left-click on the ones you do NOT want to keep. So when you move the highlighted ones to the right, the ones that remain in the left will be deleted.

From your screenshot, are you not able to click on the "Manage" option at the end of the list to edit?
Attached Thumbnails
How to edit email addresses when logging into a site?-ccleaner-cookies.jpg  

Old 05-31-2023, 11:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Just read the OP again, I see it is Chrome.

As I was saying.

Click the little lock icon to the left of the https: in the address bar.

Click 'Cookies and Site Data', 'Manage Cookies and Site Data', click the little trash can next to the entries where you want to delete the cookies. Refresh the page and you should be good.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:27 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
You don't need to install software or delete cookies.
You just click MANAGE underneath that box. This will take you to your password manager in Chrome. In the search box, type the name of the website there. It will show you all logins to that site. You can click the wrong one and just click REMOVE.

Specific directions here under "Show Edit or Delete Passwords..."
https://support.google.com/chrome/an...aved-passwords

Old 06-01-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
From your screenshot, are you not able to click on the "Manage" option at the end of the list to edit?
Going to that same site and clicking on manage gets me this seen in the photo. The black areas were "physical" addresses. Home addresses.
Attached Thumbnails
How to edit email addresses when logging into a site?-untitled.jpg54321.jpg  

Old 06-01-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Click the little lock icon to the left of the https: in the address bar.

Click 'Cookies and Site Data', 'Manage Cookies and Site Data', click the little trash can next to the entries where you want to delete the cookies. Refresh the page and you should be good.
I did that for the same webpage from my first post and I get the same result seen in my first photo.
I did click the trash can for both shown for that website and it should have removed cookies and data (?)

Last edited by howard555; 06-01-2023 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-01-2023, 08:15 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't need to install software or delete cookies.
You just click MANAGE underneath that box. This will take you to your password manager in Chrome. In the search box, type the name of the website there. It will show you all logins to that site. You can click the wrong one and just click REMOVE.

Specific directions here under "Show Edit or Delete Passwords..."
https://support.google.com/chrome/an...aved-passwords
^^this

Old 06-01-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This will take you to your password manager in Chrome. In the search box, type the name of the website there. It will show you all logins to that site. You can click the wrong one and just click REMOVE.
I tried that and got what you see below for the same website in my first post. To clarify I am trying to edit the drop down box that shows "email addresses" and not passwords. Since those two email addresses are not associated with the website I'm trying to log into I have to enter the first few letters of the email address and then I can see the correct one It appears that the correct one is 3rd in line behind the two that are seen (see first photo from above), click that, and enter password to complete the login.
Attached Thumbnails
How to edit email addresses when logging into a site?-untitled.jpgqqqqq.jpg  

Old 06-01-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
^^this
The issue is not with "passwords"
See my first photo top of the page and it is about a populated list of email addresses (populated by Windows 10 or ??) such that when I go to a site to login it shows email addresses. It's different for different sites.

Example.
Facebook it gives me two to choose from but the correct one is hidden from view until I type the first few characters of the email address used to log into Facebook.
For Craigslist it only offers one email address for login and it is the correct one.

So there are two sites that show different email addresses associated with the accounts I'm tryin to log into.

Someone maybe Windows 10 (?) is storing these email addresses. It must not be Chrome because Facebook and Craigslist get me two different list of email addresses to choose from.
Craigslist only gives one and it is the correct one.
Facebook gives me two and they are not the correct one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers