Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 02:42 PM

979 posts, read 519,755 times

Advertisements

Just use a VPN. Wouldn't that encrypt/cloak everything on your end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 08:53 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Just use a VPN. Wouldn't that encrypt/cloak everything on your end?
Some people equate VPN to having security/protection which is wrong. It merely creates a Virtual Private Network (connection) for mainly anonymity and privacy.
Whatever protection or security it offers, it'd merely be for that specific connection it is used for. That is it. It doesn't protect your device or network.
Some people use it so they can circumvent location based restrictions on certain sites and access things that they weren't able to using normal connection.
Example: Netflix not allowing access to certain shows because of your location/area but by using VPN and hypothetically appearing to be connecting from somewhere you are able to watch that show.

Companies typically use software based VPN to allow their remote workers to connect to the company's local resources and network. So, it is like they are working on their office computer and accessing things locally (Intranet).

A software or firewall is a completely different thing. A router/firewall is like a traffic cop, it monitors the network traffic so, it can direct traffic (packets) accordingly. At a firewall level, it monitors/control incoming and outgoing connection requests based on security settings. It is the first and can be the most effective tools against hackers and even malicious software if configured correctly.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 10-19-2023 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-20-2023, 07:26 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Some people equate VPN to having security/protection which is wrong. It merely creates a Virtual Private Network (connection) for mainly anonymity and privacy.
Surprised to see you say that. VPN absolutely provides security in addition to what you're talking about.

If I am at Panera I can use their wifi and my VPN to make a secure connection into my network that includes full encryption. VPN is so secure, in the 'old' days when I needed to download Cicso's VPN I had to select a checkbox "I will not allow this software to fall in to the wrong hands, like Afghanistan or other countries"...because it provides a very high level of uncrackable security.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:43 AM

34 posts, read 29,595 times
Quote:
You open a CommandLine window (Windows Key + R > cmd > OK) on your personal computer and type:
ipconfig

when it spits out bunch of information, you are looking for the line that starts with "IPv4 Address...."
That would be your IP address (number) 192.168.xxx.xxx

So, on your work computer you open the CommandLine window and type:
ping 192.168.xxx.xxx (whatever the actual number is)
If it shows something like: "Reply from 192.168.xxx.xxx: Destination host unreachable"
Then it would mean they are not on the same network.
If the result shows something like "General failure" then ping action was being blocked on that computer, more than likely due to a system restriction or software firewall but that is uncommon.

My question is why do you suspect they would do such a thing? Are you a contractor or is this some sort of a high security or government type job?

Also, what they gave you is all standard except for the firewall. Why did they give you one and are you sure it is a firewall?

If they were going to spy on you, I would think they'd use a software type backend connection provided their computer and yours would be on the same network.

If you have a valid reason or paranoid enough to test, install a free software firewall like SimpleWall and it will alert you of all connections, incoming and outgoing.
Where do I download SimpleWall and is it free?

Old 10-20-2023, 11:36 AM

8,307 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Surprised to see you say that. VPN absolutely provides security in addition to what you're talking about.

If I am at Panera I can use their wifi and my VPN to make a secure connection into my network that includes full encryption. VPN is so secure, in the 'old' days when I needed to download Cicso's VPN I had to select a checkbox "I will not allow this software to fall in to the wrong hands, like Afghanistan or other countries"...because it provides a very high level of uncrackable security.
You just confirmed what I said; the only security and privacy it offers is for the very connection itself that it is used for, nothing else. In other words, the data being transmitted might be secure (to a certain degree) from outside monitoring or instruction but if the data itself is bad then...if the user connects to a malicious domain or clicks on a malicious link while on a VPN connection, they are still very much vulnerable.

The VPN connection will not protect against such threats which is the main concern for most people. It does NOT secure or protect your network or your machine like a firewall or web security software. That is the distinction I was trying to make.

I have seen so many, come in the shop with VPN and the users were confused as to why their machine was compromised despite having an AV scanner and VPN. For some people, it creates a false sense of protection, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navia View Post
Where do I download SimpleWall and is it free?
It is a free application and can be downloaded here but do read about it on that site and learn a bit:
https://www.henrypp.org/product/simplewall

Old 10-20-2023, 01:20 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
the only security and privacy it offers is for the very connection itself that it is used for, nothing else.
But that's REALLY important. It's kind of the point for most. or should be. "I want Netflix from the UK" I guess would be a much smaller group of people. LOL

Quote:
In other words, the data being transmitted might be secure (to a certain degree)
the connection is secure to the nth degree. There's literally nothing more secure.

Quote:
The VPN connection will not protect against such threats which is the main concern for most people.
I disagree. The main concern for people is having encrypted traffic so I can do my online banking form Panera...not..."I'm worried about clicking a bad link".
Quote:
It does NOT secure or protect your network or your machine like a firewall or web security software. That is the distinction I was trying to make.
This is, of course, true.

Quote:
For some people, it creates a false sense of protection, imho.
and I'll absolutely take your word on that one.

Old 10-20-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You just confirmed what I said; the only security and privacy it offers is for the very connection itself that it is used for, nothing else. In other words, the data being transmitted might be secure (to a certain degree) from outside monitoring or instruction but if the data itself is bad then...if the user connects to a malicious domain or clicks on a malicious link while on a VPN connection, they are still very much vulnerable.

The VPN connection will not protect against such threats which is the main concern for most people. It does NOT secure or protect your network or your machine like a firewall or web security software. That is the distinction I was trying to make.

I have seen so many, come in the shop with VPN and the users were confused as to why their machine was compromised despite having an AV scanner and VPN. For some people, it creates a false sense of protection, imho.

It is a free application and can be downloaded here but do read about it on that site and learn a bit:
https://www.henrypp.org/product/simplewall
I just downloaded from there and it said something about defender wall but I still continue and now norton is telling me that it's a threat... How do I even use it? How do I know if someone is on my computer?

Old 10-21-2023, 06:06 AM

I was using my laptop yesterday and I saw a windows 32 black screen appear 2 times. Then I was reading something from a website and I saw where the arrow was it was highlighted circle or something like that. This means they hacked into my personal computer? What should I do now? This was many hours before I installed simple wall.

Last edited by Navia; 10-21-2023 at 06:17 AM..

Old 10-21-2023, 02:01 PM

Default Was my computer hacked?

I got windows 32 black screens 2 times in a row then I continued using it and noticed a faded circle area like it was being focused on what I was reading. I did factory reset right now. What program should I download that is free to prevent from getting hacked?

Old 10-21-2023, 02:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 643,412 times
You should run a supported version of Windows with all the updates. Third-party programs have questionable value compared to the protections built into Windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers