Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 08:40 AM

34 posts, read 29,595 times

Advertisements

If I have a remote job and I am using the job's work equipment which is 2 monitors, a firewall, and a small computer, can any of these devices give them access to my personal laptops and personal information from my laptops including bank account, websites I go to, files and folders? There is an ethernet cord from the modem that connects to the company's firewall and that firewall is connected to the computer, etc... None of their equipment is connected to my personal computers. I am not connected using wifi on their equipment, only a small tablet that is only used to log in to their computer, an app that I click accept or a code to log into their computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 01:53 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Try pinging your laptops private IP address from the 'work' computer.
That will let you know if you have the computers on the same 'subnet' (if ethernet & Wifi are on same subnet).

Old 10-16-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Try pinging your laptops private IP address from the 'work' computer.
That will let you know if you have the computers on the same 'subnet' (if ethernet & Wifi are on same subnet).
How do I do that? What does pinging your laptops private IP address from the work computer mean? If the ethernet and wifi are on the same subnet then how do I change that?

Old 10-16-2023, 04:51 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navia View Post
How do I do that? What does pinging your laptops private IP address from the work computer mean? If the ethernet and wifi are on the same subnet then how do I change that?
You open a CommandLine window (Windows Key + R > cmd > OK) on your personal computer and type:
ipconfig

when it spits out bunch of information, you are looking for the line that starts with "IPv4 Address...."
That would be your IP address (number) 192.168.xxx.xxx

So, on your work computer you open the CommandLine window and type:
ping 192.168.xxx.xxx (whatever the actual number is)
If it shows something like: "Reply from 192.168.xxx.xxx: Destination host unreachable"
Then it would mean they are not on the same network.
If the result shows something like "General failure" then ping action was being blocked on that computer, more than likely due to a system restriction or software firewall but that is uncommon.

My question is why do you suspect they would do such a thing? Are you a contractor or is this some sort of a high security or government type job?

Also, what they gave you is all standard except for the firewall. Why did they give you one and are you sure it is a firewall?

If they were going to spy on you, I would think they'd use a software type backend connection provided their computer and yours would be on the same network.

If you have a valid reason or paranoid enough to test, install a free software firewall like SimpleWall and it will alert you of all connections, incoming and outgoing.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:48 AM

157 posts, read 105,320 times
If SMB(file sharing) or DLNA(media streaming) are enabled then they can without running software on your machine.

The only other stuff to watch is valid https root issuer in case there is MITM happening in firewall firmware. Maybe use encrypted DNS.

Any new executables need to be signed and scanned, and ran at low privilege

if you're advanced enough ssh tunnel through a trusted network or use vpn

Last edited by 24gf424g; 10-17-2023 at 01:12 AM..

Old 10-17-2023, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You open a CommandLine window (Windows Key + R > cmd > OK) on your personal computer and type:
ipconfig

when it spits out bunch of information, you are looking for the line that starts with "IPv4 Address...."
That would be your IP address (number) 192.168.xxx.xxx

So, on your work computer you open the CommandLine window and type:
ping 192.168.xxx.xxx (whatever the actual number is)
If it shows something like: "Reply from 192.168.xxx.xxx: Destination host unreachable"
Then it would mean they are not on the same network.
If the result shows something like "General failure" then ping action was being blocked on that computer, more than likely due to a system restriction or software firewall but that is uncommon.

My question is why do you suspect they would do such a thing? Are you a contractor or is this some sort of a high security or government type job?

Also, what they gave you is all standard except for the firewall. Why did they give you one and are you sure it is a firewall?

If they were going to spy on you, I would think they'd use a software type backend connection provided their computer and yours would be on the same network.

If you have a valid reason or paranoid enough to test, install a free software firewall like SimpleWall and it will alert you of all connections, incoming and outgoing.
I'm not going to attempt to do it on their computer because they check what people do on their computer. I only use their computer for work. They give people firewall because of sensitive information for the job. I just wanted to know if they can spy on my personal devices even though the firewall is only connected to their computer which is connected using ethernet. I never typed my wifi password on their computer. Also some days ago some random guy called me on the phone talking about he is from my bank and if I have questions about my bank account I can call him instead of calling the 1800 number so I reported the fool. Since I won't be checking on their computer using this command, what other ways are there to check on my personal devices to make sure they are not spying on me? Isn't it against the law for them to spying on me on my personal devices? They have the right to do that on their work computer because I am using it for the job, but not on my personal devices because it has nothing to do with the job right?

Old 10-17-2023, 07:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
"can any of these devices give them access to my personal laptops and personal information from my laptops including bank account, websites I go to, files and folders? "

No. No is your answer. I can say with 99% certainty: no.

Old 10-17-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"can any of these devices give them access to my personal laptops and personal information from my laptops including bank account, websites I go to, files and folders? "

No. No is your answer. I can say with 99% certainty: no.
This means that a firewall that isn't connected to a device is not able to have access or get any information from other devices right?

Old 10-17-2023, 04:15 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navia View Post
This means that a firewall that isn't connected to a device is not able to have access or get any information from other devices right?
You talked about your company's connection modem->firewall->computer. Where does your home computer/network connect in all of this? Or is it a completely separate setup (potentially a different ISP?)

Regardless - It's like what they say about wild animals - they are likely more afraid of you than you are of them. Meaning they are likely more interested in protecting their equipment/network from your computer (or what may be on your computer). So not only are they not interested in monitoring your home computers, they want to makes sure your computer/home network cannot access their equipment. It doesn't make practical sense from a liability and support perspective.

And just to add to that. Even if it was on a shared medium - the likelihood of them actually getting your bank information is very unlikely. Essentially - it would not be worth their time/money/effort to do that. It's simply not that trivial and practical.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You talked about your company's connection modem->firewall->computer. Where does your home computer/network connect in all of this? Or is it a completely separate setup (potentially a different ISP?)

Regardless - It's like what they say about wild animals - they are likely more afraid of you than you are of them. Meaning they are likely more interested in protecting their equipment/network from your computer (or what may be on your computer). So not only are they not interested in monitoring your home computers, they want to makes sure your computer/home network cannot access their equipment. It doesn't make practical sense from a liability and support perspective.

And just to add to that. Even if it was on a shared medium - the likelihood of them actually getting your bank information is very unlikely. Essentially - it would not be worth their time/money/effort to do that. It's simply not that trivial and practical.
The modem is in the room next to mine, an ethernet cable is connected to it and goes in my room, this ethernet cable is connected to the company's firewall which is also in my room, this firewall is connected to the mini computer which is also in my room, the computer and firewall are also connected with other cables, the 2 monitors are connected to the mini computer, my personal devices are also in my room but none of my devices are connected to their stuff. I am connected using wifi. I never put my wifi password to use their computer. The only place I did put my wifi password is on their tablet which is only used log in to their computer, access codes using apps, I am not only concerned about bank account but I just want to make sure there is no way they can go into my personal devices and see what I am doing, etc...

Is a firewall able to get access to my personal devices, and see my files and sites, etc...? Yes or No?

Last edited by Navia; 10-18-2023 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers