Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 03:36 PM

8,345 posts, read 13,493,234 times

Advertisements

It'd be best to provide the details and age of your system.
It sounds like a fairly old system 10+ yo so it'd be very logical to expect a hardware related issue to be the root cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 03:57 PM

Navia, just to answer your question, when you install and run SimpleWall, it doesn't automatically "enable" its own filter so technically whatever firewall (Windows' own or some other 3rd party) is still active.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, its icon in the System Tray will be greyed out. When you right-click on its icon and select "Enable Filters", it will give the captured confirmation window and upon clicking "Enable Filter" button then it will be active.

After enable the filters, you can also take a look at its settings to make changes to your heart's desire (Starts with Windows, starts minimized, etc.).

Keep in mind, once the filters are enabled, all traffic will be filters and all outbound connection requests will cause a prompt for your to approve (enable) or disapprove (disable) access. If you click on the red X, it will block access for that request for that time. So, next time SimpleWall receives a connection request from the same process/app, it will prompt your again. You can block access to unknown processes then if you notice something not working, then you can enable it from the SimpleWall application window.

That said, based on the issue you mentioned and also another thread you started in regards to it, it'd be best to share the details of your computer (specs, age, make/model, Windows version, etc.), so we could have a better idea of what might be the root cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Firewall-simplewall.jpg  

Old 10-21-2023, 09:39 PM

7,529 posts, read 13,667,681 times
Windows 3.2 is 30 years old.

If the monitor in use is that old, I would suspect it is what is failing. Not any hacking.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Windows 3.2 is 30 years old.

If the monitor in use is that old, I would suspect it is what is failing. Not any hacking.
LOL....I think OP meant their Windows was 32-bit.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:34 AM

34 posts, read 29,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It'd be best to provide the details and age of your system.
It sounds like a fairly old system 10+ yo so it'd be very logical to expect a hardware related issue to be the root cause.
HP pavilion Windows 11. It just came out last year. New laptop. It was a black screen where you type commands. It appeared fast so maybe it didn't say windows 32. It said something similar to that. It has high specs.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:10 AM

Old 10-22-2023, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Navia, just to answer your question, when you install and run SimpleWall, it doesn't automatically "enable" its own filter so technically whatever firewall (Windows' own or some other 3rd party) is still active.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, its icon in the System Tray will be greyed out. When you right-click on its icon and select "Enable Filters", it will give the captured confirmation window and upon clicking "Enable Filter" button then it will be active.

After enable the filters, you can also take a look at its settings to make changes to your heart's desire (Starts with Windows, starts minimized, etc.).

Keep in mind, once the filters are enabled, all traffic will be filters and all outbound connection requests will cause a prompt for your to approve (enable) or disapprove (disable) access. If you click on the red X, it will block access for that request for that time. So, next time SimpleWall receives a connection request from the same process/app, it will prompt your again. You can block access to unknown processes then if you notice something not working, then you can enable it from the SimpleWall application window.

That said, based on the issue you mentioned and also another thread you started in regards to it, it'd be best to share the details of your computer (specs, age, make/model, Windows version, etc.), so we could have a better idea of what might be the root cause.
Why is this program being detected as a threat by Norton? I installed it again and the same thing happened. Something about unknown signature.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navia View Post
Why is this program being detected as a threat by Norton? I installed it again and the same thing happened. Something about unknown signature.
What happens if I exit Simple Wall program? Will it still protect me or do I have to have it open all of the time?

What is all of this? I don't know what all of this is so I don't know what to block or allow?

Apps with internet access

simplewall.exe

Apps without internet access

Isass.exe
SppExtComObj.exe
svchost.exe
System

Old 10-22-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Smaller and/or open-source projects like SimpleWall do get flagged inaccurately. It sounds like you already have the Norton Security Suite which has an bundled firewall function in it. Who knows, maybe Norton doesn't want competition and deliberately giving that false-positive detection?
Either way, you have a choice, get rid of Norton or SimpleWall. You do not need 2 real-time firewall utilities, much like malware/virus scanners, you don't keep 2 on the same system because at the very least, they could end up hindering each other and leave the malware slip by.

I am NOT a fan of McAfee or Norton but since it is a paid program and you already have it installed, you can uninstall SimpleWall.

I'd personally not use anything Norton/McAfee merely due to the fact that they are in bed with Microsoft in a sense and their firewall automatically whitelists and ignores any and all MS/Windows based traffic which a true firewall should NOT. I like it when the app has no bias and shows/alerts you about everything.
I'd get Kaspersky or BitDefender as a paid program or use AVG or Avast as a free app and then install SimpleWall as the firewall. Between the browser security/privacy add-ons and the other two, you'd be well protected.

Well, at this point, I don't want to influence or digress, you will have to decide which to keep/dump.

Quote:
What happens if I exit Simple Wall program? Will it still protect me or do I have to have it open all of the time?
Yes, to be effective, the program needs to start with Windows and run in the background at all time.
Norton app you have is already doing just that!

Quote:
What is all of this? I don't know what all of this is so I don't know what to block or allow?

Apps with internet access
simplewall.exe
Apps without internet access
Isass.exe
SppExtComObj.exe
svchost.exe
System
You need to read up on the application a bit. You can use my screenshot as a limited guide but ultimately everything on the list are legit processes either belonging to a vendor or Microsoft. The real question is, which ones are crucial to have Internet access and which are option or borderlines unnecessary?

Because you don't seem to have much experience or skills on this, I'd recommend you stick with Norton and get rid of SimpleWall until you read up on it and do some research to have a better idea. If you don't have the time or desire then more the reason why you should stick with Norton.

If you want a second opinion, you could install AVG virus scanner. If it sees an active real-time AV scanner already installed (Norton), it will make itself inactive so it would only run any scans when you request it.

What I'd recommend is to install AVG, then go to "Other Scans" icon and select Boot-time Scan.
Update the definition files once done, click to schedule a scan for next boot and restart your computer.
It will run the scan before Windows loads so it is quite an effective scan. It will not be hindered by any background process or another already installed security app (Norton).

Once the scan is completed, if everything was OK, it will automatically reboot the machine as usual.
If it found any threat, it will show them at the end of the scan and wait.

Quote:
HP pavilion Windows 11. It just came out last year. New laptop. It was a black screen where you type commands. It appeared fast so maybe it didn't say windows 32. It said something similar to that. It has high specs.
I think you were referring to CommandLine (Windows Key + R > RUN > (type) cmd > (press) OK/ENTER
That is probably the windows you saw.

If it comes up, see if you can get a screenshot of it (use a camera or phone).

Old 10-22-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Smaller and/or open-source projects like SimpleWall do get flagged inaccurately. It sounds like you already have the Norton Security Suite which has an bundled firewall function in it. Who knows, maybe Norton doesn't want competition and deliberately giving that false-positive detection?
Either way, you have a choice, get rid of Norton or SimpleWall. You do not need 2 real-time firewall utilities, much like malware/virus scanners, you don't keep 2 on the same system because at the very least, they could end up hindering each other and leave the malware slip by.

I am NOT a fan of McAfee or Norton but since it is a paid program and you already have it installed, you can uninstall SimpleWall.

I'd personally not use anything Norton/McAfee merely due to the fact that they are in bed with Microsoft in a sense and their firewall automatically whitelists and ignores any and all MS/Windows based traffic which a true firewall should NOT. I like it when the app has no bias and shows/alerts you about everything.
I'd get Kaspersky or BitDefender as a paid program or use AVG or Avast as a free app and then install SimpleWall as the firewall. Between the browser security/privacy add-ons and the other two, you'd be well protected.

Well, at this point, I don't want to influence or digress, you will have to decide which to keep/dump.

Yes, to be effective, the program needs to start with Windows and run in the background at all time.
Norton app you have is already doing just that!

You need to read up on the application a bit. You can use my screenshot as a limited guide but ultimately everything on the list are legit processes either belonging to a vendor or Microsoft. The real question is, which ones are crucial to have Internet access and which are option or borderlines unnecessary?

Because you don't seem to have much experience or skills on this, I'd recommend you stick with Norton and get rid of SimpleWall until you read up on it and do some research to have a better idea. If you don't have the time or desire then more the reason why you should stick with Norton.

If you want a second opinion, you could install AVG virus scanner. If it sees an active real-time AV scanner already installed (Norton), it will make itself inactive so it would only run any scans when you request it.

What I'd recommend is to install AVG, then go to "Other Scans" icon and select Boot-time Scan.
Update the definition files once done, click to schedule a scan for next boot and restart your computer.
It will run the scan before Windows loads so it is quite an effective scan. It will not be hindered by any background process or another already installed security app (Norton).

Once the scan is completed, if everything was OK, it will automatically reboot the machine as usual.
If it found any threat, it will show them at the end of the scan and wait.

I think you were referring to CommandLine (Windows Key + R > RUN > (type) cmd > (press) OK/ENTER
That is probably the windows you saw.

If it comes up, see if you can get a screenshot of it (use a camera or phone).
Can this be a sign that I am being hacked? If so then what should I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers