Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 01:39 PM

8,334 posts, read 13,472,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I would be annoyed if MS started going into a yearly "New OS" cycle.
Hence the old tech saying: "Never upgrade to new Windows until at least the first service pack came out but preferably after the 2nd service pack"
MS got better at fixing stuff while breaking other stuff with the same bundled updates. So, I suppose, it is a crapshoot either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 10:15 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,264,501 times
I ordered a windows laptop refurbished from amazon, I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:36 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hence the old tech saying: "Never upgrade to new Windows until at least the first service pack came out but preferably after the 2nd service pack"
MS got better at fixing stuff while breaking other stuff with the same bundled updates. So, I suppose, it is a crapshoot either way.
So the question comes up, will Windows 10 work when they upgrade? (I realize I'm pretty well computer illiterate, but I need to -- not that I want to -- learn. Thanks.)
Also, I wonder, why is it the techs can't figure it out the first time around in terms of errors?

Old 01-29-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
So the question comes up, will Windows 10 work when they upgrade? (I realize I'm pretty well computer illiterate, but I need to -- not that I want to -- learn. Thanks.)
Most any machine they would be able to see as "refurb/renewed" should be able to support the basic Windows 11 hardware requirements but not knowing what you ordered, it is not possible anyone to comment.
On the page the above link opens, check the "Windows Processor Requirements" list to confirm.
If unsure, share the link to which one you bought so someone could check it for you.

Quote:
Also, I wonder, why is it the techs can't figure it out the first time around in terms of errors?
Short answer: I dunno.

Long answer (if you're bored):
Why most of my posts have typos? I rush because I am usually in a rush. I could proof-read but clearly I lack the habit or simply too lazy. After all, there is no "incentive" for me to make it error-free.

Now, if I was getting paid for it, then other possibilities could be; time-sensitive (being in competition with others to make it available asap), or, the time it would take to fix every single issue, even if feasible, would take too dang long and that would mean I ain't making money for a dang long time.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:26 PM

9,009 posts, read 4,690,945 times
Quote:
Short answer: I dunno.

Long answer (if you're bored):
Why most of my posts have typos? I rush because I am usually in a rush. I could proof-read but clearly I lack the habit or simply too lazy. After all, there is no "incentive" for me to make it error-free.

Now, if I was getting paid for it, then other possibilities could be; time-sensitive (being in competition with others to make it available asap), or, the time it would take to fix every single issue, even if feasible, would take too dang long and that would mean I ain't making money for a dang long time.
Shorter version of the long answer:
They get paid to get the product out the door.
They do not get paid to make it error-Free.

Back story: people want bells and whistles.
They want features.
They want to play video games.
They want shiny new stuff.
(Kinda like Bass: you don't need tasty bait, you need a shiny lure... )

Creating things that make the world a better place isn't really a priority.

At best, they want things to make them think they are doing something useful, even if it isn't true.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:14 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,039,998 times
Quote:
If you buy a renewed machine, it will be much less costly and also come with Windows 10.
Examples:

Dell Latitude 12

Lenova Thinkpad Yoga 11e

Dell Latitude E5270

Dell Latitude E6330

I am sure you can find a lot more.

Good luck!
You'll need luck if you're buying a refurb from Amazon. I did it last year and it turned into a three month ordeal trying to get a refund for a dead laptop.

I turned around and bought a brand new laptop directly from the Dell website, under $500, and life is good again.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Shorter version of the long answer:
They get paid to get the product out the door.
They do not get paid to make it error-Free.

Back story: people want bells and whistles.
They want features.
They want to play video games.
They want shiny new stuff.
(Kinda like Bass: you don't need tasty bait, you need a shiny lure... )

Creating things that make the world a better place isn't really a priority.

At best, they want things to make them think they are doing something useful, even if it isn't true.
True. Computer hw and sw defects are nothing compared to faulty components in vehicles that kill bunch of people before they get a recall issued!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
You'll need luck if you're buying a refurb from Amazon. I did it last year and it turned into a three month ordeal trying to get a refund for a dead laptop.

I turned around and bought a brand new laptop directly from the Dell website, under $500, and life is good again.
I ordered one for a client which I shared here too a month or so ago which was a great buy for the machine and it worked out of the box. The person who suggested it to my client, bought a few of the same machine themselves months earlier and were very happy. I also heard positive feedback from people on this forum as well.

Of course, there can be a DOA with anything and unless there are too many cases, you will have to jot it down as "bad luck" and try something else.
That said, if you got the money ($500+), a new OEM machine is likely to be a safer bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers