Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM

16,684 posts, read 15,693,414 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few externally connected (USB only) hard drives fail. When they fail, there is no activity in Windows to indicate that a device is being added and no icon on the tray. It simply acts like the device doesn't exist.

An issue I see at work frequently is that the network drives mapped to F:, G:, or H: will often be the drive letters the flash drives want to use. I have to use the disk manager to remap the flash drive to another letter to get it to work. My opinion is that this is a shortcoming in the network planning to use those letters, combined with a flaw in NetWare and/or a flaw in Windows that doesn't recognize the mapped drives so it caqn assign another letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

An issue I see at work frequently is that the network drives mapped to F:, G:, or H: will often be the drive letters the flash drives want to use. I have to use the disk manager to remap the flash drive to another letter to get it to work. My opinion is that this is a shortcoming in the network planning to use those letters, combined with a flaw in NetWare and/or a flaw in Windows that doesn't recognize the mapped drives so it caqn assign another letter.
Developing standard drive assignments in the corporate world should always be standard practice, and most IT shops do follow this concept. That way when a users calls and says the can't access their H: drive, you don't have to play 20 questions to determine what they are actually trying to access.

When you connect an external drive, real HD or thumb drive, the OS is going to assign it to the next available drive letter.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Developing standard drive assignments in the corporate world should always be standard practice, and most IT shops do follow this concept. That way when a users calls and says the can't access their H: drive, you don't have to play 20 questions to determine what they are actually trying to access.

When you connect an external drive, real HD or thumb drive, the OS is going to assign it to the next available drive letter.
That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work. However, when NetWare has assigned the drive letters, Windows does not always recognize it.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work. However, when NetWare has assigned the drive letters, Windows does not always recognize it.
Never had any problems with NetWare drive mappings, but I haven't messed with it since NetWare 6.5 and Windows 2000/XP. Novell or M$ client? Is this another 'Vista feature'?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Never had any problems with NetWare drive mappings, but I haven't messed with it since NetWare 6.5 and Windows 2000/XP. Novell or M$ client? Is this another 'Vista feature'?
NetWare 6.5; Windows XP SP3; Novell Client 4.91 SP4. Dingbat network administrators many years ago set it up with drives mapped to F:, G: and H:. I've found many occasions when my flash drive doesn't show up. I open disk management and see the USB drive as drive F:, so I reassign it to drive Q: (or whatever) and everything is fine.

Speaking of which, I have one customer that did that with his flash drive and reassigned it to drive P:. At some point he gave away that flash drive. Then he needed to run another application that has a drive mapped to P:, but there is no P: available to map. Anybody got any idea where in the registry the reserved drive letters are stored?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
NetWare 6.5; Windows XP SP3; Novell Client 4.91 SP4. Dingbat network administrators many years ago set it up with drives mapped to F:, G: and H:. I've found many occasions when my flash drive doesn't show up. I open disk management and see the USB drive as drive F:, so I reassign it to drive Q: (or whatever) and everything is fine.

Speaking of which, I have one customer that did that with his flash drive and reassigned it to drive P:. At some point he gave away that flash drive. Then he needed to run another application that has a drive mapped to P:, but there is no P: available to map. Anybody got any idea where in the registry the reserved drive letters are stored?
Have you looked under Disk Management and attempted to reassign drive letters there?

In the registry, look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Enum\ ESDI", for IDE drives, similiar area for SCSI. Then look for UserDriveLetterAssignment which should contain any reserved drives.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Have you looked under Disk Management and attempted to reassign drive letters there?

In the registry, look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Enum\ ESDI", for IDE drives, similiar area for SCSI. Then look for UserDriveLetterAssignment which should contain any reserved drives.
Got me started in the right direction. I found this on one machine with a flash drive plugged in: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBST OR]

I'll need to go to the machine in question and take a look and see what I find in there.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 8,259 times
I have the same problem, I was trying to clean the disk and canceled it before it completed know I cant access the drive I tried a SATA adapter and that does not work either I do have power to the drive it spins I dont think its mechanical because it was working before i tried the clean disc..is there any way to get the info off of this? what do they do if you bring it to a shop? different that I can try

Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 8,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnsouth985 View Post
I have the same problem, I was trying to clean the disk and canceled it before it completed know I cant access the drive I tried a SATA adapter and that does not work either I do have power to the drive it spins I dont think its mechanical because it was working before i tried the clean disc..is there any way to get the info off of this? what do they do if you bring it to a shop? different that I can try
it also is listed in my device manager and says it is working properly ...but I cant see the drive in "my computer" list

Old 04-20-2013, 05:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,010,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnsouth985 View Post
You need to clarify some things. What operating system? What does "trying to clean the disk" mean? And how did you cancel it?
Also, is this an external drive? Main system drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers