Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 PM

8,331 posts, read 13,470,099 times

Advertisements

I have used these 2 awesome freebies to manage/troubleshoot any drive related issues:

For (mostly) Internal drives: Drive Manager
For USB connected drives: USBdeview

My Sansa (Sandisk) MP3 player remain in Devices and Printers screen days after having been disconnected.
Windows can create a new one, each time I connect it. I find it easier to manually remove them:

Hope it helps!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 04-20-2013 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
Okay, I'm getting a kick out of the printer listing. I thought I was "on the edge" since I still use a series 1200 HP LaserJet printer, but it looks like you've got me beat.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You need to clarify some things. What operating system? What does "trying to clean the disk" mean? And how did you cancel it?
Also, is this an external drive? Main system drive?
External Hard drive WD, when I did a disc clean up in system tools, it was taking to long so I hit cancel the button was available, well after I did the PC operating XP and win7 does not recognize the drive..I got an SATA Adapter an it still wont recognize but went to device manager and it says it is working properly

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnsouth985 View Post
External Hard drive WD, when I did a disc clean up in system tools, it was taking to long so I hit cancel the button was available, well after I did the PC operating XP and win7 does not recognize the drive..I got an SATA Adapter an it still wont recognize but went to device manager and it says it is working properly
I recommend using the software TurcoLoco mentioned instead of relying on the device manager. See what it tells you about the drive.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Okay, I'm getting a kick out of the printer listing. I thought I was "on the edge" since I still use a series 1200 HP LaserJet printer, but it looks like you've got me beat.
I'm in that club too. LaserJet 1300n here.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm in that club too. LaserJet 1300n here.
Was yours free? I was asked by a client to throw this one away because it wouldn't print. I offered to check it but they had made up their minds.

I took it home, cleaned a bunch of labels off the drum, and it's worked great ever since. That was 3 years ago and we still haven't bought a toner cartridge for it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM

7 posts, read 8,263 times
Quote:
I recommend using the software TurcoLoco mentioned instead of relying on the device manager. See what it tells you about the drive.
Thanks , IM trying yo find the Soft ware TurcoLoco can you send me a link or suggest where to find it

Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks , IM trying yo find the Soft ware TurcoLoco can you send me a link or suggest where to find it
He linked to it in his post in this thread.

Wait. No. TurcoLoco isn't software he's a poster on City Data. Go back through this thread and look for his name.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 AM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
Was yours free? I was asked by a client to throw this one away because it wouldn't print. I offered to check it but they had made up their minds.

I took it home, cleaned a bunch of labels off the drum, and it's worked great ever since. That was 3 years ago and we still haven't bought a toner cartridge for it.
How did you know? The LaserJet 1300 was notorious for having factory defective fusers that started peeling plastic off their rollers and wrinkling paper. I had a local printer tech show me how to change the fusers. It took about 20 screws to hold in one little part.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM

8,331 posts, read 13,470,099 times
Quote:
Online, I am a piece of software, offline in real life, I am very much a legacy hardware!

OK, all kidding aside, since you PM'ed me and disturbed my very much needed beauty sleep, let me tackle this from the beginning, ok?

- You have Windows 7 and Device Manager shows the device as "working OK" which typically means the onboard electronics checked out, drive and data condition can still be a suspect unless you take the drive out of the casing and connect it directly to the motherboard using a SATA/IDE for data and the applicable power connector.

- Since you are familiar with Device Manager (START > right-click on Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management), can you access Disk Management console to see if the drive is listed there as well? If so, what drive letter is assigned to it?

We'll go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers