Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM

76 posts, read 263,100 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've managed to connect through the Ethernet...just still can't get acquire the IP address on the wireless connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieBJones View Post
Okay, I've managed to connect through the Ethernet...just still can't get acquire the IP address on the wireless connection.
Okay, well that still doesn't rule out software as the problem.. as that's still likely the case.. the over-install is likely the best way to go unless for some reason your test wireless cards was bad (you may want to throw that card into another of your laptops just to be absolutely sure)

But do you have SP3 installed? (right my computer, properties for xp) should say Service Pack #?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:06 PM

Yes, I do. I guess I will have to ask around for a Windows disk this week!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieBJones View Post
My apologies, with so many suggestions (not just from you guys) I honestly just overlooked it - or maybe didn't quite understand what you meant. Either way, it didn't work, and we've pretty much deduced it's been a software program all along.

I do appreciate all your efforts to help.

No apology needed. That was not the intent of my post. I was just pointing out (rather poorly I'm afraid) that we, as post responders, should notice when a comment like that has not been responded to and remind the OP to do it.

You did just fine....

Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Okay...I feel like I am so close and am just missing something so small/stupid and can't figure it out.

No luck on finding a Windows disk yet. To be honest I'm a little hesitant about doing that myself? Maybe it just sounds more intimidating than it really is.

When I manually assign an IP address, I can get the Internet to connect, but with a low signal and I can't get on the sites. I read about someone who had an identical problem and it ended up being Malware...so I ran AdAware and installed Spy Search and Destroy...nothing. I feel like it could be something as simple as not having my settings correct, or not assigning the right IP address (which I got from the host computer). I'm wondering, what should my settings be for the wireless? For example, what should I have set for Network Authentication and Data Encryption (AES or TKIP?). I've tried combos of all the different options in the drop down just to see but nothing.

I don't know...

Last edited by JunieBJones; 01-09-2009 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times
Well, you could run a ping test with your static IP to see how long it will work.. understand that you want to assign DNS number the same as the gateway (gateway get's you out to internet)

Honestly, who cares about security if you’re still troubleshooting this.. turn the security off or leave it as is.. and concentrate on the problem.. adding layers to the problem doesn't help..

The only tool that I know that fix's networking problem caused by adware is lspfix.. but to use that you’re better to have detected it by hijackthis.. because 3-4 of the things lspfix will show you are legitimate networking protocols etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers