Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have a Kindle. I got it two weeks ago and have about 41 books on it.

I do not have WiFi but I learned how to download and copy the books to my Kindle.

One week ago I got a message on the Kindle telling me it was not registered. I called Kindle Help and learned that I must either get WiFi or go somewhere that has WiFi.

So, I'll be heading to the public library tomorrow to register the Kindle.

Here is my question: I don't have a laptop so I will be using one of the library's computers. There should be no problem, right? I just log on to amazon, register the Kindle and then sign off, right?

I don't want to be negative about this. My Kindle shut down yesterday stating it was not registered. So, I have to do it via WiFi and I'm scared. I know that sounds really idiotic but I'm expecting to be a victim of Murphy's Law. I just want to hear that it is a simple thing to do and that once it is registered all will be okay. Can anyone tell me that?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
You won't be using one of their computers, just the WiFi. The Kindle will connect to the Internet using it and you will register the unit through that connection. Depending on the strength of the WiFi connection you can probably do it sitting in your car in the parking lot.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You won't be using one of their computers, just the WiFi. The Kindle will connect to the Internet using it and you will register the unit through that connection. Depending on the strength of the WiFi connection you can probably do it sitting in your car in the parking lot.
Thank you, Tek Freek. Somehow I knew I would get an answer from you.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM

I talked to a fellow in India and he walked me through a reboot on the Kindle. It now works.

So, if anyone else has this problem, you can simply reboot the Kindle.
I still need to connect with a WiFi network and I'll do that tomorrow just to register the Kindle.

Phew. This stuff drives me nuts and I was borderline to begin with.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM

203 posts, read 371,638 times
Default Can't see icons on City Data

Someone Please help. I don't know how it happened but the icons on city data are so small I can't even detect what they are! Ugh! I am running XP, Google Chrome. Have I accidentally hit a wrong setting? I have tried different resolutions and that didn't help. Any ideas? Does anyone know the resolution default for XP?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
I don't think there is a default screen resolution, it depends on your monitor...

Try 800x600...

Do the Windows icons appear normal?

In Chrome to increase the screen size do Ctrl +

Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM

203 posts, read 371,638 times
Smile Couldn't see CD icons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I don't think there is a default screen resolution, it depends on your monitor...

Try 800x600...

Do the Windows icons appear normal?

In Chrome to increase the screen size do Ctrl +
plwhit, thank you for your suggestion. I did change the resolution and that worked perfectly when I went into CD through IE, but not my default browser, google chrome, so I uninstalled and re-installed chrome and it works perfectly now!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:02 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,636 times
Ok, you know when you watch a video in youtube? well I highlight the web address after watching the video and then cut it then I paste it in my e-mail to send out. It used to be where when I did this with all website addressess in the address bar it would be blue and underlined and the person I sent it to would only have to double click on it. Now it doesn't do that. This means the person I email it to when I cut and past it that person has to cut and paste it to their address bar instead of simply clicking on the address I put in the email for them.

This is so annoying. Some people I send to are not good at cutting and pasting and I would like very much to get the darn site to cut and paste and just be and auto clicking on to that site address again. Not sure if I am saying and asking this question right. If not please let me know so I can put it another way.

I would like to know how to make a website I cut and paste easy enough for the person I send it to so they can just click and it opens, anyone know?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,636 times
Ok no one knows why. Maybe it's something to do with the site (youtube) I cut and paste from. It used to be so easy for the person I send the copy of the web address to. All they had to do was click on the address I cut and pasted to the email and it brought them to the site. Now they have to cut and paste it from the email. Some people are a pain in the neck about that. I just won't send to them anymore that's how I'll have to fix it.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Ok, you know when you watch a video in youtube? well I highlight the web address after watching the video and then cut it then I paste it in my e-mail to send out. It used to be where when I did this with all website addressess in the address bar it would be blue and underlined and the person I sent it to would only have to double click on it. Now it doesn't do that. This means the person I email it to when I cut and past it that person has to cut and paste it to their address bar instead of simply clicking on the address I put in the email for them.

This is so annoying. Some people I send to are not good at cutting and pasting and I would like very much to get the darn site to cut and paste and just be and auto clicking on to that site address again. Not sure if I am saying and asking this question right. If not please let me know so I can put it another way.

I would like to know how to make a website I cut and paste easy enough for the person I send it to so they can just click and it opens, anyone know?
Do you use an email client, or a web based email?

I know that in Outlook you have to hit enter or space after the link once you paste it in. You might try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers