Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,841 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a good place to take it in without being charged an arm and a leg? I know there's Best Buy but they wanted 100 bucks when I called them before. When I started up, it loads up and after a while, this blue screen flashes for like a second with writing on it but then my laptop just starts over. This happens everytime. I can't even started up on a safe mode cause the same thing just happens. Any savey IT people out there with some good advise?? I live in San Antonio, TX by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
From another forum:

to disable the automatic reboot

Start -> right click My Computer>properties>advanced tab> in the start up and recovery section, click settings> under system failure, uncheck the “automatically restart” box

will work in safe mode. the next time you start windows normally you should see the error message on the blue screen

If this works post the errors here.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:41 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
From another forum:

to disable the automatic reboot

Start -> right click My Computer>properties>advanced tab> in the start up and recovery section, click settings> under system failure, uncheck the “automatically restart” box

will work in safe mode. the next time you start windows normally you should see the error message on the blue screen

If this works post the errors here.
Not much help if the OP can't get the system to boot to get to the setting

to the OP, turn the PC on, start tapping the F8 key, when you get the startup menu, select the diasable automatic restart option, and post back the BSOD info.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post

to the OP, turn the PC on, start tapping the F8 key, when you get the startup menu, select the diasable automatic restart option, and post back the BSOD info.
The OP can. If you read the OP post you'll see that it runs for a while then blue screens. I assumed () it would run long enough to get the change made.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The OP can. If you read the OP post you'll see that it runs for a while then blue screens. I assumed () it would run long enough to get the change made.
Guess we need clarification, I took it as after a while while it's booting, not after a while of using it

Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Guess we need clarification, I took it as after a while while it's booting, not after a while of using it
Good point. After rereading it isn't as clear as I thought.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
How about booting it to a C: prompt. Does it stay on w/o rebooting? What OS?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM

715 posts, read 1,356,841 times
Quote:

I think I'll try this one. I can't even make it to where you have the start menu and all that junk. I get the blue screen and then the damn thing just starts over and takes me to the black menu screen where it asks me if I want to start it in Safe Mode (there are three kinds of safe modes) or just start it regularly. No matter what I pick, it will just do the same thing......restart and then eventually the blue screen flashes real quick and then we're back to square one. Like I said, I don't even make it to the desktop page where you see Icons and Start Menu.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM

26 posts, read 80,382 times
If you can not get into safe mode, try last known good configuration. If that doesn't work, you probably have a hardware issue stopping Windows to load. It's not good when you can't get into safe mode, or last known good config, does not work.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStack View Post
If you can not get into safe mode, try last known good configuration. If that doesn't work, you probably have a hardware issue stopping Windows to load.
Not necessarilly, some malware causes those exact symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers