Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder how many people do any hardcore honest to goodness PRODUCT RESEARCH before they select a product they want to buy?

Or do they settle for talking it to death then select the product based on the nothing they get from all the blabber they get from boards like this one?

So there you have it.....honest research or useless talk?

Your nickel to invest and get the right product that will do the job or to waste and get a product that misses the mark completely. Which will it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Yeah..I do research.

For video cards..gamer forums are the best to get good reviews for example.

I have a Mac PB which is getting old (and now not supported with the new Mac OS).
So my next investment will be a MacBook Pro (I'm a programmer as well so I do make use of the "extra stuff") but I'm in no rush. Will wait until the time is right because my PB is still useful to me.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Lots of research. Usually building a new PC for myself is a six-month process, because I'm pouring over specs, price-points, and reviews.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:58 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I have to wonder how many people do any hardcore honest to goodness PRODUCT RESEARCH before they select a product they want to buy?

Or do they settle for talking it to death then select the product based on the nothing they get from all the blabber they get from boards like this one?

Your nickel to invest and get the right product that will do the job or to waste and get a product that misses the mark completely. Which will it be?
I don't understand why you had to make such a critical and negative post. The OP has been responding to posts and asking questions. That would seem to indication that additional information is coming out that will (hopefully) lead to a better purchase decision.

BTW, although (IMO) there is some blabber in this forum, it is greatly overshadowed by intelligent comments and useful information.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't understand why you had to make such a critical and negative post. The OP has been responding to posts and asking questions. That would seem to indication that additional information is coming out that will (hopefully) lead to a better purchase decision.

BTW, although (IMO) there is some blabber in this forum, it is greatly overshadowed by intelligent comments and useful information.

It's part and parcel with the industry. One of the reasons I'm successful is that I work very hard to overcome the "engineer attitude" that so many IT professionals don't realize they promote. We are people who are more comfortable with machines than people, so the people skills aren't as strong as in other industries. It's not fatal, but it can rear up every now and then and throw a wrench in the works.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..I do research.

For video cards..gamer forums are the best to get good reviews for example.

I have a Mac PB which is getting old (and now not supported with the new Mac OS).
So my next investment will be a MacBook Pro (I'm a programmer as well so I do make use of the "extra stuff") but I'm in no rush. Will wait until the time is right because my PB is still useful to me.
Ah yes! A member after my own heart as a true Frugalista !

Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
If you are not a geek or amateur computer engineer, here's what I'm doing: I bought a good Dell two years ago with the top-line service contract, about $1600 total. They guarantee to keep it running--they sent out a tech guy to replace a crashed hard drive, will spend all the time it takes to track down any bug or glitch. My time is money, so this beats the heck out of spending $500 or $600 every year for a cheapie. $1600 over 3 years is the same money as buying a cheapie every year. Of course, if you are a rocket scientist, you don't need to do this.
Not necessarily. I know plenty of techs that purchase extended warranties because of the amount of time their laptops spend on the road. It can be very inexpensive insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Good. I'm looking for a laptop for surfing mostly that I don't have to worry about banging up. Not that I'm rough on a machine, but things can happen.

When I priced stuff recently this guy tried to convince me to buy their protection plan and all these extras. Claimed even light use and some part would be burned out. Maybe he sells used cars in his second job?
If all you do is surf the net you might consider a netbook. As for light use, well I just had a two month old 1 terabyte drive crash in a client PC. Not a common occurrence, but it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

I agree with the sentiment but the babble and useless talk comments are simply not needed.

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder why the babble is followed by negativity. Not required in my opinion without a good reason and I see none in this thread.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
If you were going to get a new PC laptop in the next few weeks what brand and model would you get?
If I had unlimited funds? A top-end Toughbook, or perhaps a Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid.

Or maybe my dream machine: a Libretto U100.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:42 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:

I feel the same way. I never quite trust the user reviews on the web sites of the retail chains.

I used to love Gateway products, but my recent experience with Gateway laptops has been dismal. Two years ago my son and I bought Gateway laptops at the same time...different configurations though...he wanted a barn-burner and I needed something basic.

We've each had the same problems and have had to replace the fans numerous times. I have to be careful opening the CD/DVD drawer as the side of it falls off. Even replacing fans, the laptops run so hot they become useless after an hour as programs freeze and stop working.

My son gave up on his a year ago and bought an MSI that he loves.

Some buying advice...check out Costco. I bought my last two desktops there because they have decent prices and they throw an extra years warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Some buying advice...check out Costco. I bought my last two desktops there because they have decent prices and they throw an extra years warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty.
Why buy a computer where they sell dog food?

This is why I buy Mac's. They are sold by people that know the product and can help you find a decent product that will do the job as promised.

Lousy PC's............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers