Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,825 times

Advertisements

I have a 2009 Sony Vaio VGN-FW290 laptop. It came with WIN DVD blu ray player.
However, when I went to watch Avatar in Blu Ray, it stated I needed an update. Much to my surprise I found other people in the same situation as me. Apparently Sony doesn't have an update for us to watch Blu Ray movies made in 2010. I was on line with Sony Chat today to find out what I can do, they tried selling me all these things and finally I clicked off.
I then started a chat with WIN DVD / Correl and they stated they are aware of the situation and are working on a solution. This "solution" has been going on for a while now and I am really fed up. The laptop I bought in Jan 09, I feel like I was just "dumped". I wrote to Sony, but don't think it will do anygood.

So what i want to know, if I were to buy some new software for a new Blu Ray player, what would you recommend. I have 64 bit Vista Platform HD.

I read some recommendations on line, but I trust my City-Data friends only !!!

Thank you guys !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
I was looking to upgrade my PC with a Blu Ray Burner to backup my blu ray dvds and when I looked into watching blu rays on the PC with Blu Ray software I found out that you frequently had to update the blu ray player software to new blu ray copy protection schemes for new movies as they come out. So I gave up on watching blu rays on my PC. And my LG Blu Ray player has Wifi internet connectivity for Netflix and Bios updates. So I just watch blu rays on my LG Blu Ray player and 37" Hdtv.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:14 AM

So basically I would be in hell forever. I guess it will always be about the money. My husband is a sports nut. I hate sports. So in order to hang out with him, I watch movies on my laptop and he watches tv, but at least we are together. The blu ray was just so beautiful. I can slum it in regular dvd mode.

Thanks for your info Jesse69 !!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
I think owning a copy of a movie and not being able to play that copy of the movie because of DRM is prime moral justification for possessing a hacked version of that movie.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM

269 posts, read 911,242 times
HappySpring, have you done the updates on Sony's site already and they just didn't help with that one movie? What version of Windows are you using?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Hi SLippi

I'm using Windows Vista. You bet, I've been on Sony's site and did whatever I needed to do in order to be updated. I was even on online chat and they took over my computer to verify I had all the updates. But in the end, it went nowhere. Correl did confirm the issue and that they are working on it.

scarmig - I don't buy hacked movies. You can't watch them anyway, the quality is crap. I get my movies from Blockbuster and pay full price...tax and all. AND I return on time. If that's what you were implying.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:20 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
The point of my statement is this:

A. You bought a legitimate copy of the movie.
B. You cannot watch it, because of some technical glitch.
C. If you had a high definition version that you *could* watch, even if it was supplied by a pirate or a hacker, you yourself would not be guilty of a moral crime because it would simply be a rectification of the problem that you cannot watch that which you legitimately purchased.

I am not implying you did, have, or should get a pirated copy. It was just an observation that this situation would, at least in my opinion, demonstrate a gray area around media distribution and piracy.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 PM

This problem is fairly common and will of course be more common the more people that get blu-ray players. HD-DVD players had a similar thing also. Basically as technology increases so doesn't the "need" for better copy protectoin (at least that's what the guys making the movies say). Of course as scarmig says you bought something and they are preventing you from playing it, so a large amount of people went out and pirated the movie even though they own a legitimate copy. Kinda funny if you ask me, they want to stop piracy but are turning people who normally buy their products to pirates. One thing you could try is AnyDVD, it removes copy protection, while not legal most likely a trial will at least allow you to watch your legally purchased movie without having to download it illegally from a torrent. The only other thing I can think of is trying to play it in Media Center or another program to see if it's the app you are using or the FW on the drive.

Some reading:
Avatar Blu-Ray Not Working for Many

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Sony customer service is terrible and I will never buy another of their products. I bought a laptop from them on their online site. It didn't work out of the box. I called them up and asked for it to be replaced. They said they couldn't replace it but would repair it. I told them if I had wanted a refurbished laptop I would have bought one a lot cheaper than the new one I had expected. It took me several days, many many phone calls and threats to dispute the charge with Amex (Amex are great for that) to get my money back. At no point did they offer to replace the defective product. In the end, they preferred to give me my money back rather than accept that, just maybe, they were at fault.

Sony are arrogant, aggressive and have the attitude that the customer is there for their benefit and not the other way round. I had been a loyal customer with several TVs, digital cameras, etc. No more.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Sony customer service is terrible and I will never buy another of their products. I bought a laptop from them on their online site. It didn't work out of the box. I called them up and asked for it to be replaced. They said they couldn't replace it but would repair it. I told them if I had wanted a refurbished laptop I would have bought one a lot cheaper than the new one I had expected. It took me several days, many many phone calls and threats to dispute the charge with Amex (Amex are great for that) to get my money back. Art no point did they offer to replace the defective product. In the end, they preferred to give me my money back rather than accept that, just maybe, they were at fault.

Sony are arrogant, aggressive and have the attitude that the customer is there for their benefit and not the other way round. I had been a loyal customer with several TVs, digital cameras, etc. No more.
Gotta agree, I loved sonys products but gave up after several bad recievers, laptops, tvs, etc. I remember at one point recommending a Viao to someone, even though it was quite expensive (years ago) it seemed worth it, but after they needed to have almost every part replaced some twice (mobo, ram, hard drive, keyboard, touchpad) and had to fight every step of the way I finally gave up on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers