Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times

Advertisements

4GB is plenty for Windows. As stated previously, you most likely have bloatware starting up with Windows, the biggest offender being the Internet security suite. Remove it and get Microsoft Security Essential for free. The other possibility is that your new computer came with a bum hard drive that's about to die but odds are, its the security software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
I'm with EscapeCali, 4 gigs should be plenty your problem likely is something else not your hardware.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:17 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Well, tightwad, this tightwad would rather have paid less for an "economy" level of laptop that needed say $150 upgrade worth of memory than get a better grade computer that STILL needs the extra $150 memory upgrade. Get my point?
Oh yes, I get your point. You chose the wrong computer for your expectations.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Assuming Windows 7.

Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Settings button in Performance.

In the Visual Effects tab fill the radio button for Adjust for best Performance and Click okay. Wait until it's finished.

Start/Run. Type in msconfig click OK. In the startup tab remove check marks from programs you don't need. If you are unsure post the list here by typing it out or use print screen and post the picture(s). You will get help with what to keep and what to dump. Do the same for Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and you will get advice about keep/dump.

If you don't have Run on the Start menu right click the Start button and choose Properties. Click Customize and add a check mark to the Run box.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I got Dell Inspiron 14 laptop with 4 gigs and supposedly doesn't need more memory. Thing is as slow as can be. My 2gig Compaq/HP that's 2 years old is better than this.

Was trying to keep the cost down, buy a little better and don't need a memory upgrade. Apparently that's not the case. Do I have to add memory anyway?

Naturally there is a 15% restocking fee if returned. Please give me some useful advice before I throw this piece of crap out the window and throw 100% of the cost away.
RAM is only one indicator of performance among many. For most home users, the difference between 2gigs and 4gigs is almost negligible. And if you have a 32-bit machine you are capped at about 3.5gigs anyway.

Did you pay attention to CPU speed, FSB and L2/L3 cache? RAM speed? Video card? etc.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:32 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Assuming Windows 7.

Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Settings button in Performance.

In the Visual Effects tab fill the radio button for Adjust for best Performance and Click okay. Wait until it's finished.

Start/Run. Type in msconfig click OK. In the startup tab remove check marks from programs you don't need. If you are unsure post the list here by typing it out or use print screen and post the picture(s). You will get help with what to keep and what to dump. Do the same for Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and you will get advice about keep/dump.

If you don't have Run on the Start menu right click the Start button and choose Properties. Click Customize and add a check mark to the Run box.
I'm still on my old xp machine so I don't have a lot of W7 experience, but can't you just open up the start menu and start typing without having to open up the run.. window?

Nice tip on the "adjust for best performance" option.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:37 AM

I think if you just start typing you are actually in the search box, not run. Run runs programs instead of searching for help.

Every computer I work on has the Adjust for Best Performance set. No one even notices all the "pretties" are missing when they work on them.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I think if you just start typing you are actually in the search box, not run. Run runs programs instead of searching for help.
Its the same box under Vista/7.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its the same box under Vista/7.
No, it's not. I'm sitting here looking at Windows 7 and I have separate Search and Run boxes.

Having said that I tried it (Always open to new ideas) and typed msconfig in the search box. It ran the program. I'll be damned.

Thanks, I learned something new today! It says I have to spread the wealth b4 I can rep you.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
No, it's not. I'm sitting here looking at Windows 7 and I have separate Search and Run boxes.
You can add the run box to the start menu, but why? In the default configuration, if you enter something in the search box that you would have entered into the run box (like services.msc, regedit, msconfig) it runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers