Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I got Dell Inspiron 14 laptop with 4 gigs and supposedly doesn't need more memory. Thing is as slow as can be. My 2gig Compaq/HP that's 2 years old is better than this.

Was trying to keep the cost down, buy a little better and don't need a memory upgrade. Apparently that's not the case. Do I have to add memory anyway?

Naturally there is a 15% restocking fee if returned. Please give me some useful advice before I throw this piece of crap out the window and throw 100% of the cost away.
MCSA/MCTS here. I call this my "Stages Of Success". Do these steps, in this order.

1. Look for an antivirus program. On a Dell it's probably McAfee which is garbage. Uninstall it. Whatever the antivirus, uninstall it (trust me, you'll put one back on later).
  2. Download a program called CCleaner. Accept the default options, let it run. Trash whatever it finds. Make sure to do the registry scan as well.
  3. Right click on C:, Properties, I believe it's Tools tab, then to the defrag options. If the schedule is not set, set it, then do an Analyze. If it says its needs to be done (it shouldn't), let it do it.
  4. Right click on My Computer, Manage, Advanced settings on the left, Advanced tab, settings button at the top under Performance (the one that talks about visual settings etc). More than likely set to let Windows decide, change that to custom, deselect everything except: Desktop Composition, Transparent Glass, Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons, Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts.
  5. IF it's not joined to a domain you should not have very many entries in msconfig --> Startup. If you do, start disabling them. I guarantee you 90% of them aren't needed.
  6. Disable Windows Sidebar. Right click on icon in running programs area of taskbar (bottom right) exit, it will prompt you not to launch on startup again.

Once all that's done, reboot. You should see a slight improvement. More improvement will happen after more reboots as the SuperFetch collects data.

Next, download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. This will replace your old antivirus. It has a smaller footprint and won't hog the computer down like commercial antivirus scanners.

I want to state for the record: Windows 7, if that's what you're using, is not going to perform faster than Vista or XP on a newer box. It's not going to happen. If speed and performance are what you're after, understand that because of 7's use of GPU to render what you see on screen, it's always going to be a bit slower than older OS's that offloaded rendering to the CPU. You might consider downgrading if the performance difference is still a problem after the steps I put above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
hunh? how do i look for that?
Look at the status bar (bottom) of task manager, it will list Processes, CPU Usage and Physical Memory

Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh yes, I get your point. You chose the wrong computer for your expectations.
No he didn't. A 4gb Inspiron will do anything he wants. That is a very capable machine.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 AM

269 posts, read 911,242 times
Quote:
I'll take that on, but this is just out of the box. The older laptop has malware bytes already. What sped it up was adding memory from 1 gig to 2 gig. This one comes with 4 gig and online it its slow. No excuse.
When you say online it is slow, is the only speed problem with the internet? Does it perform quickly otherwise?

As others have said RAM is only one thing that will impact performance. If your internet is slower on this laptop than the previous one perhaps you have a slower network card in the new laptop.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
so only your internet connection is slow or the laptop is slow in general?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Just the internet. I'll look at the instructions posted by tek-freek and relevated. Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Consider turning off system restore.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Just the internet.

That changes things a bit...

Wired or wireless?

Go to Start/Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center. On the right side look for Connections: and click on what is shown.

If it is wireless it should be, at a minimum, 54mbps. Mine is running at 130mbps. It depends on your wireless modem, etc. My wired connection normally runs at 100mbps.

I hope I have those numbers right...

Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM

269 posts, read 911,242 times
Since it's just the internet your old laptop may have a better network adapter, or the new one may be having problems with your routers config. As Tek said check your speed and post the speed you are getting, whether it's wired or wireless, what type of router (make/model) and whether you have security/encryption setup on the router.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
While on wireless, go to speedtest.net and test your speeds. Then disable your wireless adapter and plug your computer into the router. Re-test your speed. Post the results. If your wireless speed is less than your wired speed while you're sitting next to the router, you know you have a wireless issue such as a bad driver or you could be on the same channel as nearby wireless networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers