Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 46,845 times

Advertisements

hi, considering moving to Bridgeport for a great career opportunity, however, I've read that is not the best place to raise my son. Any other areas not too far from Bridgeport? Please make a suggestion since I am not familiar with this area at all.

Thanks for your input

Héctor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
There are "OKAY" areas of bridgeport, but the public school systems in cities like that are crappy.

If you can afford it, consider Trumbul, Monroe, Newtown, Fairfield, and Shelton.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM

29 posts, read 92,252 times
Check out Milford - housing prices a little less than some of the previously mentioned towns and only about 10-15 minute commute to Bridgeport. Good schools - small city on the ocean.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 AM

53 posts, read 257,515 times
Default I would bet on Milford.

Hi Dear Friend.

To raise your son i would say there is no better option then Milford, CT. When we(my wife and I) and our newborn here we wanted to be closer to all the ameinities ocean- shopping etc and we also found after moving that this is one of the best if not the best place to raise a family. People are so friendly in Milford and its very family oriented town and with a great school system...we were thinking of buying in Fairfield County earlier but then decided on Milford...Best of Luck my friend.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:56 PM

13 posts, read 181,793 times
Other towns to consider: Redding, Weston, Easton

Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Fairfield, just outside of Bridgeport, is a fabulous town to raise children. Look there, or look in Stratford, another nice town that is less expensive. Both are Bridgeport suburbs.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Bridgeport is a large city (the largest in the State) and because of that, it has its issues. The schools are not considered to be very good particularly the upper grades. Many people that live in the city send their kids to private schools. Among the nicer parts of the city are Black Rock, Brooklawn and the North End (west of Main Street).

The towns surrounding Bridgeport are among the priciest in the country. to the west of Bridgeport is Fairfield. It is a wonderful town with great schools, parks, shopping, restaurants and beaches. It is a great place to raise kids but it is expensive to buy or rent a home there. Fairfield has been rated by Money Magazine and Ladies Home Journal as one of the best towns in the country.

Easton is a rural town just north of Fairfield (north west of Bridgeport). It is mostly large homes on 1 to 3 acre lots and is very expensive. There is no commercial development and just one small general store and a couple of farm stands.

Trumbull is a very nice upscale suburb north of Bridgeport. It has a lot of beautiful neighborhoods and excellent schools, shopping (the areas one regional mall is located there) and parks. It too is expensive but not as expensive as Easton or Fairfield.

To the east of Bridgeport is Stratford which is a blue collar suburb. There are lot of nice neighborhoods but the schools are considered to be okay. There can be problems in the upper grades. Stratford has good shopping, restuarants, parks and beaches. Areas to consider are Paradise Green, Lordship, Oronoque and Putney.

Milford is located to the east of Stratford and is a very nice town, as someone else indicated. It would help if we knew how much you would be able to spend for housing. Good luck, Jay

Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 PM

83 posts, read 399,211 times
Monroe is a cute little town. Stratford isn't bad, either.

Naugatuck is cheap, but it's a bit of a drive from Bport.

If you do end up moving to Bridgeport, stay within the North side (Madison Avenue/Park Avenue). I lived there, and it's so nice and peaceful. The Trumbull Mall isn't far, either.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:04 PM

8 posts, read 46,413 times
post deleted.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-07-2007 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: trolling

Old 07-07-2007, 05:15 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieRav View Post
Milford is n
You said in your title that Milford sucks - Why does it??

I don't know what else you were trying to say in the body of your post.

Please elaborate, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut