Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 09:06 AM

85 posts, read 278,434 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I am moving to CT after 2 years where my young children are getting intensive Spanish classes at school. Does anyone know what grade Glastonbury and Farmington elem schools begin Spanish classes? and if so, will they satisfy a child who has been studying Spanish for 2 years?

If not, does anyone have any ideas of where I would get further schooling in this area for my kids so they can move forward with their Spanish?

Eventually we'd like to see them start Mandarin.

Thanks!
Beth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I believe most public schools don't start until Middle School...
But many privates start in Kindergarten, so that could be an option as well.
OR perhaps you could just get a private tutor after school if it's really all that important to you.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Glastonbury schools begin offering Spanish in first grade but it is begining Spanish. As children progress through the school system the lessons get more intense. A child that has had extensive Spanish lessons would probably be bored. Jay

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,969 times
The New Britain School system has a K-8 Dual Language school. The students are taught all of their subjects in English one full week and they continue in Spanish the next full week. It is a total immersion program not just an hour a week or something. 50% of the students are Spanish dominant speakers and 50% are English dominant so the children can work together to help each other. My children have done really well in it and can speak, read and write in Spanish even though no one in our family knows the language at all. They are still in lower elementary grades and we have had a great experience so far. There are many very involved families at our school.

The Middle School portion of the Dual Language school is still new but they are hoping to introduce Chinese eventually as a third language. There is also a program here in another school called La Pensee. It is an accelerated group of students that are introduced to Chinese. This is continued in the Gifted and Talented Middle school.

New Britain is considered to be inner city so please do your research. Though there are many unique opportunities here, it is the opposite of Farmington and Glastonbury. Given that you are looking for your children to continue with Spanish and be exposed to Mandarin, I think it might be worth a look for you. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,027 times
Default Question for Original Poster

Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to see if the Original Poster was still here and what the outcome was. We're in the same situation. My son has been in a Spanish immersion school for two years. I've looked at New Brittain (sp?) but am leary of the distance because we're moving to be at UCONN. We're planning on buying in Glastonbury.

Allison

Old 03-08-2013, 05:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,969 times
A lot has changed in New Britain in the last 3 years since my last post. The school is no longer a true dual language school as they are moving away from that model. Things have drastically gone downhill there. It is sad to see what was a great program be reduced to what it is now. I think Glastonbury has a very good school system and is closer to UCONN. Best of luck in your move!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikatz View Post
Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to see if the Original Poster was still here and what the outcome was. We're in the same situation. My son has been in a Spanish immersion school for two years. I've looked at New Brittain (sp?) but am leary of the distance because we're moving to be at UCONN. We're planning on buying in Glastonbury.

Allison
The OP did move to Glastonbury and occasionally posts on this forum, though I am seeing that she is now looking to move to San Antonio. Jay

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM

85 posts, read 278,434 times
Hi Alikatz,
Just saw this, sorry!
My kids are in Gbury elementary, and the school is wonderful. I would say the spanish program is okay, but my kids say they only spend about 20 minutes a day learning. THe teacher is a sweetheart and she's good, but there's not much time devoted to it. Just FYI.
Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut