Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,472 times

Advertisements

There was a thread on this that is now closed, but it should be opened again. Just moved back down South from Connecticut after 14 years, and I too lived most my life in the South. I wouldn't say that people in Connecticut are rude, but I would say they are cold. Neighbors wave, but rarely speak unless spoken to. Fall is absolutely beautiful, though, for three months that I must say. But then the winter sets in for about 8 months. The sky is gray, all the time, except of course when there is a quick break in the clouds for more gray. On the one hand, I liked not having people in your business all the time, but, I must say, it's good to be out of there. The cost of living is astronomical, the taxes are ridiculous, and the traffic unbearable. But, at least, one can always look through the windshield at the gray sky.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:00 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
It was probably closed for a reason.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,145,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatexpat View Post
There was a thread on this that is now closed, but it should be opened again. Just moved back down South from Connecticut after 14 years, and I too lived most my life in the South. I wouldn't say that people in Connecticut are rude, but I would say they are cold. Neighbors wave, but rarely speak unless spoken to. Fall is absolutely beautiful, though, for three months that I must say. But then the winter sets in for about 8 months. The sky is gray, all the time, except of course when there is a quick break in the clouds for more gray. On the one hand, I liked not having people in your business all the time, but, I must say, it's good to be out of there. The cost of living is astronomical, the taxes are ridiculous, and the traffic unbearable. But, at least, one can always look through the windshield at the gray sky.
This has been discussed to death. I hope you find something that works for you. I have the exact opposite experience. I love Connecticut and the convenience and culture it offers me. I recently had a medical condition for which I was first hospitalized while traveling on business in the south. The striking difference in the quality of medical care alone is enough to make m stay here. Not to mention the state has an affordable medical plan through United Health Care for the self-employed. (No it's not welfare... I pay for it... Don't even start)

Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,427,464 times
That's funny, I find some Southerners rude and lacking in manners. People in CT may not run their mouth as much as those in the South, but at least they still do common courtesy things like holding the door for the person behind them and saying excuse me and thank you.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Fall is absolutely beautiful, though, for three months that I must say.

But then the winter sets in for about 8 months.
I think Spring and Summer cover a little bit more than 1 month.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:16 PM

109 posts, read 437,592 times
Winter for 8 months? Wow! Who knew?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:18 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times
You need to move on, and leave the past behind. Don't be bitter. There is no point to a thread like this.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that people in Connecticut are rude, but I would say they are cold. Neighbors wave, but rarely speak unless spoken to.
Maybe that's true of SOME people, but I think that's probably true of SOME people EVERYWHERE, and I don't even think that this (see below) is because I'm Canadian:

I few weeks ago, I noticed that my neighbor, a few doors down, wasn't home. Then I saw that she was back, but that her cat wasn't. Then I noticed that she was walking with a walker.

I know that this woman lives alone and I hate the idea that something happened (stroke?) and that, heaven forbid, something was hurting her in the middle of the night, that she'd have nobody close by to turn to.

So, this morning I rang her doorbell, properly introduced myself (we always just casually chatted if she was outside while I was walking my dog), and gave her a piece of paper with my name and phone number on it. I told her that I didn't want to pry, but I noticed that something had changed, and should she need any help (getting groceries or some emergency in the night), that she should call me.

I'd like to think that many of my neighbors would do the same for me if I were in her position.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
I drooled when he said winter was 8 months...I was unpacking to stay here in CT. LOL I WISH 8 MONTHS! I'll give it 5 as far as under 60 degrees. (Nov.-April)

Anyway --- I have opposite expierence... the way neighbors repsect your space is hands down the best. In other states you can be mowing the lawn and if you dont wave they get offended. Not in CT...

Lets compare:

Taxes in Neighboring County: $19,000
Taxes in CT $7000
Taxes in South $2000

Income...do I need to?

Traffic....you win

Sky is gray? Better than skin being burned by the sun 9 months of the year.

Cant wait to move north where there's less people & more snow. People need to stop expecting so much from neighbors and other people and start minding their own business.

Quick story...found a great tenant for my Milford Condo... I found out the neighbors like her but tenant seems to bother people by riniging their doorbell or wanting to stop and talk to them...I shook my head...she's from NY....

Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,847,702 times
I LOVE CT and the people that live here....I find them very friendly!

But you know the best part of living here...is the miserable, complaining bores move south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut