Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times

Advertisements

Here is the CT spending by year, and the percentage increase, it is mind boggling. What is absurd is that the increase is far in excess of inflation. Basically if there is money available it is spent. This is why we need lower taxes.

People clamoring that cuts will make us in to Miss or Alabama are wrong, we just need the spending levels we had in 2000, we would save 17 Billions dollars!

Year - Budget - Increase %
2000 - 24.0 -
2001 - 25.8 - 7.5%
2002 - 27.6 - 7.0%
2003 - 28.2 - 2.2%
2004 - 28.8 - 2.1%
2005 - 29.6 - 2.8%
2006 - 31.4 - 6.1%
2007 - 33.2 - 5.7%
2008 - 35.1 - 5.7%
2009 - 37.1 - 5.7%
2010 - 39.2 - 5.7%
2011 - 41.4 - 5.6%

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/....html#usgs302a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
^ So what do you suggest we cut?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Christie may be a bully, but in a state like that, the taxpayers need a bully on their side since they've been bullied for so long by the various corrupt interests in that state.

WRT the tunnel, the state simply cam't afford to be on the hook for all the cost overruns. The money isn't there, like it or not. Unlike his predecessors, Christie is at least telling the truth about that.
BOOYAAA! That's it in a nutshell. I just had this conversation on FB with a disgruntled person in FL who is pissed the elected conservative is talking about shelving some light and high speed rail projects. Well...in good times with the cash is flowing , that might be something to think about, BUT when you are BROKE you don't promote something that is going to take a subsidy to exist! I said it was like saying we should "invest" in a new kitchen when we can't make the mortgage payment.

Read my lips: WE ARE BROKE. There are a I think 2 or 3 states that are not in financial trouble...some at a level so bad it's rediculous. (CT). The feds are in it just as deep.

Balance the budget, get spending and priorities under control, reverse legislation that stopped our productivity...seal our borders from both illegal immigration and products from countries that undervalue their currency and are able to ship finished products here for less than the cost of our materials on the backs of minimally paid SLAVES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Well, divorce and teen pregnancy are happening here as well, you know. How about a little self respect and taking responsibility for ones actions, Mark? Why do liberals always see the need to take other peoples money to give to the laziest in society? Is everybody in Mississippi a dumb, divorced rube?

If people want to get divorced, get drunk, be stupid and get knocked up, well thats their god given right. They'll have the shi* jobs and be losers their whole lives.

I, like you, worked pretty goddamn hard to get where I am right now and I resent it when people say we "need" to spend more to take care of the poor souls health, education and illegitimate children. Please.
Bingo. In fact I'll do ya one more. I WAS one of those illegitimate children who rose above it and worked my ASS off to get somewhere. I pissses me off to no extent to have what earned and worked for literally TAKEN from me and given to those who don't want to do the same thing. I'll go so far as to say I would actually be okay with subsidizing brasscitybluewhite's college loan because as least the misguided bastard is trying to do something with his life. I've never seen so many FAT poor people in my life just walking around wondering why they live in the ghetto.

As for teen pregnancy rates. Does anyone realize that, we, the educated "rise above it" state have just as many if not more *impregnated women* than MS per capita but we do something different, we are *smart*. We changed the name and call it a fetus and suck it down a sink before it becomes a "baby" so "teenaged pregnancy" rates are lower here.

Statisical manipulation is a b*tch sometimes eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Who are we talking about here? The person who sacrificed and saved, worked hard to pay down their debt, lived below their means and made reasonable choices? Or the person who was irresponsible and did none of the above?

So what do you propose? That we continue to take from those who have it and give it to those who don't? We just had an election that repudiates that sort of thinking... Lets hope the "health care overhaul" gets repealed.
You know what...IF someone lost their job, worked hard all their life etc. Yea lets help them out for a while. (Although *me* the eeeeevil business owner don't have SH*T to fall back on if things go south, and in fact pay an additional 7.5% income tax [self employment tax] JUST because I have the privalege to be "self employed".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
As for the Gov. Race - Malloy wins. Foley will probably sue next week. Can we just get a recount already, just to prove the truth? With the massive amount of incompetence here, it's better to know for certain Malloy did win than let idiots run around screaming screwjob.
I'm not sure you realize just how deep the bull**** goes here.

1. Bridgeport added 10,000 new voters ( 4 years? Really? That's like a 19% increase in NEW voters.

2. They illegally copied and handwrote ballots. ILLEGALLY

3. They ILLEGALLY used the reverse 911 system to "get the vote out" after 8pm and it only went to certain districts.

4. They have HUNDREDS of absentee ballots both going to an empty parking lot and warehouse. (These are the things we CAUGHT...think drug wars. We catch a lot but only a small percentage of the real activity going on.) Some of them were "supposed" to be addressed to the Democrat campaign headquarters. Huh?

5. They found a bag of ballots in a "back room"...hey look they just happend to be the photocopied and hand written ones.

On and on and on. I'm just sick of typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Exactly. Somebody has to have the cojones to say that the money just isn't there, and the taxpayer's can no longer supply an unlimited line of credit for everybody's pork and graft.
Uh, didn't you vote mostly democratic?

Quote:
HA! Where do you start. One small simple example. Do we need to pay a *clerk* $17.00 an hour when the private sector pays about $12.00, give them sick benefits, pension after 20 years, 7 hour work days, mad vacation times, unreal paid holidays that YOU and I do not get etc etc.

How about that alone?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
You could allocate spending as it was in 2000, that was the whole point, we don't need to increase spending by 6% per year. Go through everything in the budget and return to 2000 level spending. I don't have the budget in front of me, but I think you get the picture.

Don't tell me you can't think of anything to cut.

One off the top of my head, get rid of of the pensions payable with service less then 25 years, cap the age so that you have to be at least 60 yrs. No more state employees working for 20 years, and retiring at age 40.

Second, get rid of Detail work, that is when you see the cops on the side of the road directing traffic at 50$ per hour. Just like the clerks earning 17$ per hour, but even worse. Replace them with "flag people" and pay them 12$ per hour.

Also get rid of overtime for the police and pay them salaries like the rest of the population.

What do you think about that?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Exactly. Somebody has to have the cojones to say that the money just isn't there, and the taxpayer's can no longer supply an unlimited line of credit for everybody's pork and graft.
As a NJ resident who voted for him, I'm proud to call him my Governor.

No he's not perfect but much better than most of the other states governors IMO.

I'm sorry that you in CT can't have someone like him even half-way as good and fiscally responsible.

This is a popular video of him ripping this reporter "a new one" and just listen to what a LEADER says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVccFQLFmUo&feature=fvw

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You know what...IF someone lost their job, worked hard all their life etc. Yea lets help them out for a while. (Although *me* the eeeeevil business owner don't have SH*T to fall back on if things go south, and in fact pay an additional 7.5% income tax [self employment tax] JUST because I have the privalege to be "self employed".)
I actually do think that really sucks (including the extra tax), there should be something similar to unemployment for the business owner whose business goes under, especially since it is those very owners who when successful create the jobs and save the gov't in unemployment pay.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Here is the CT spending by year, and the percentage increase, it is mind boggling. What is absurd is that the increase is far in excess of inflation. Basically if there is money available it is spent. This is why we need lower taxes.

People clamoring that cuts will make us in to Miss or Alabama are wrong, we just need the spending levels we had in 2000, we would save 17 Billions dollars!

Year - Budget - Increase %
2000 - 24.0 -
2001 - 25.8 - 7.5%
2002 - 27.6 - 7.0%
2003 - 28.2 - 2.2%
2004 - 28.8 - 2.1%
2005 - 29.6 - 2.8%
2006 - 31.4 - 6.1%
2007 - 33.2 - 5.7%
2008 - 35.1 - 5.7%
2009 - 37.1 - 5.7%
2010 - 39.2 - 5.7%
2011 - 41.4 - 5.6%

Connecticut state and local spending 2010 - Charts Tables History

The math simply doesn't add up. Taxes are not rising by 6% per year, yet spending is. Wage are not rising at 6% per year, they have been relatively flat.

How anyone can spend 6% MORE each year without going bankrupt is mathematically impossible.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
The math simply doesn't add up. Taxes are not rising by 6% per year, yet spending is. Wage are not rising at 6% per year, they have been relatively flat.

How anyone can spend 6% MORE each year without going bankrupt is mathematically impossible.
Oh it's easy. You just borrow the difference and call it a "no deficit" budget. Tada!

(Ignore that debt load and compounding interest payment...boo spooky reality hard fact person.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I actually do think that really sucks (including the extra tax), there should be something similar to unemployment for the business owner whose business goes under, especially since it is those very owners who when successful create the jobs and save the gov't in unemployment pay.
Look, I'm a compassionate guy. I give, and give and give and treat people with respect, pay more than others etc etc etc.

But, in contrast the IRS just cleaned me out in Sept. Literally. I was left with $1.61. They just took it. No warrant, no court case nothing - because THEY DON'T HAVE TOO. Now I'm paying an accountant thousands to fight it. I almost didn't make MY mortgage payment in Oct but I worked my fingers numb and got it done because I have a wife on maternity leave, newborn and a toddler counting on me. It suck. I'm tired as hell, worn out, body broken. But I do what I have to do. The government doesn't give a sh*t 5 ways from sunday about people like me and in fact sees me as the enemy regardless of their rhetoric.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:59 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Uh, didn't you vote mostly democratic?
Nah, it was ~2:1 split for me this time.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
As a NJ resident who voted for him, I'm proud to call him my Governor.

No he's not perfect but much better than most of the other states governors IMO.

I'm sorry that you in CT can't have someone like him even half-way as good and fiscally responsible.

This is a popular video of him ripping this reporter "a new one" and just listen to what a LEADER says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVccFQLFmUo&feature=fvw
Is that why 49% and growing of the population hates him. He hasn't done anything note worthy yet , wheres the plan for lower taxes and fighting corruption on a statewide level. I wish we could copy Dan and have him as Governor......its looking like he'll be a one term Governor. I'm starting to get sick of ppl using him as an Example , hes just an Average Republican Governor. We had one of those back in the 90s and she screwed the state up which were still feeling to this date. Ripping Reporters , and the latest story out of some School makes ppl even more mad at him. He should act his age and not like a rude mouth piece for the residents of NJ......As for him killing the ARC , i could care less , because that was killing funding to at least 30 statewide projects. However i don't like the fact that he hasn't killed the 2 Road expansion projects that are nearing 2 Billion $$$ , and they started off both at 300 million $$$ , its very hypocritical to me and most New Jerseyites. Getting back to CT , seems like your state is in a dire pickle which needs sorting out. But it seems alot folks in your state are mad that a republican lost to a dem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut