Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that Ford has come a long way in improving their products. In fact, I think their reliability has surpassed Toyota in Consumer Reports ratings. Toyota took a big dive IMHO with all of their accelaration problems. That said, when we were looking recently we did not find a vehicle that suited our needs (3 row SUV). The old Explorer was too truck-like and hard to find and the new ones weren't out yet. I liked the Edge but it only had two rows of seats. Too bad since it is a sharp looking vehicle. Ended up with an Acura which is a Honda. Jay
You're absolutely right about Ford surpassing Toyota in reliability in multiple tests/comparisons. I have a 2004 Mustang (rear wheel drive) and it runs great; I'm near 100K miles and fully expect to get another 100K+ miles out of it. I put snow tires on in the winter and have passed BMWs stuck in the snow; I haven't had any cold weather problems yet without AWD and I've had my car for 3 years.

I love Ford and will probably get an Edge once I pay off my current loan though I am considering getting an F-150 if I move further north. My dream car has to be the Aston Martin One-77 (though I'm sure they'll come out with a better car next year!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
I was just having this conversation earlier today as a matter of fact.

I find it's hard to ask people what brands they recommend or consider reliable without asking what kind of driver they are, what kind of mechanic they use, whether they are complainers (notice every little rattle), etc. Hard to judge cars in bulk American vs. Japanese vs. German because some models are just problematic by nature of the model.

You should focus on your own experiences and more importantly your budget and needs. I could tell you that you need a BMW M5 because my experiences have been good but is that going to fit in your price-range?

I drive a 2005 wrangler...It's not my first and they are extremely reliable. My last went to 186k miles and marked it's 14th year on the road (see details make the difference) before it was in the shop more than the driveway. This is not true of all Jeep brands and I don't necessarily care for the new jeeps drive train and plastic front-clip. I expect to buy a Mercedes E class for my next vehicle and would recommend a mercedes to anyone wanting a stylish, comfortable, reliable sedan. My wife has a Mitsubuishi Lancer OZ Rally. It has outlived my expectation of cheap cars with it's 160k miles and little shop time. However the key to her car staying in good condition is good maintenance...which is my problem with cheap cars you start losing trim panels and the cheap paint gets rock chips and starts to oxidize if you don't take good care of them typically american and germans can be beat and still stay together. That said if you have a garage and take care of your stuff....I would easily recommend a new Lancer. We plan to buy another when the clutch goes on this one (getting close).

Recently my extended family has purchased a VW Passat wagon, a Volvo wagon, and a Subaru Imprezea wagon (replacement after the prev was totalled in a tree smashing roll-over where exterior was destroyed but the cabin stayed in cube and the occupants walked away; I have to admit it's made me consider a subaru for the first time).

Its a lil known fact that Subaru's have some of the strongest and safest occupant cabins made at ANY price point. The pillars are reinforced to the point of basically being roll cages. Subaru has sent info flyers to fire depts/ rescue facilities over the years because many workers have had problems cutting the roofs of with normal rescue tools.

Subaru Posts - Firehouse Forums - Firefighting Discussion

What makes a Subaru, a Subaru: Subaru Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame (http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum06_WhatsInside.htm - broken link)

BTW. I work in the auto industry. I just happen to drive a Subaru WRX and a Ford. Sabaru cause that's what I wanted and they have treated my family great my whole life, and the Ford cause I needed a cheap reliable, unoffensive commuter car. There really isn't anything like a "bad" car these days. GM is finally making something to be proud of again with a few of their models. Ford has been too for a few years now. For "Domestics" Dodge/Fiat seems to be a lil behind the ball, although they are changing things with the new Grand Cherokke etc..

And you really can't go wrong with any "Foreign" namplate. It all depends on tastes and needs these days. Keep in mind if WHERE your product is built matters to you, don't go by name. Look for the product and content info sticker, usually on the drivers side rear window of most new cars. And keep in mind, thanks to the "domestics" lobbying, North American content INCLUDES Canada.

These days MORE "domestics" are built in Canada and Mexico then in the US, and more "foreign" nameplates are actually built in the US than anywhere else.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Its a lil known fact that Subaru's have some of the strongest and safest occupant cabins made at ANY price point.
I've heard the same thing. I also have to say that I was impressed with Mercedes when a huge tree crashed on the roof of an E-Class sedan on the Merritt Parkway a few years ago. The tree fell right on the roof and aside from a large dent, it held up amazingly well shielding the two occupants inside.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,459 times
just happened to see this just today..

Yahoo autos

Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM

293 posts, read 563,855 times

Bought my baby at the beginning of July just in time for my cross country move. Runs great so far....4 months later and I'm about to hit 10k miles. Living in the middle of nowhere with 100 miles to the next reasonable town will do that!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that Ford has come a long way in improving their products. In fact, I think their reliability has surpassed Toyota in Consumer Reports ratings. Toyota took a big dive IMHO with all of their accelaration problems. That said, when we were looking recently we did not find a vehicle that suited our needs (3 row SUV). The old Explorer was too truck-like and hard to find and the new ones weren't out yet. I liked the Edge but it only had two rows of seats. Too bad since it is a sharp looking vehicle. Ended up with an Acura which is a Honda. Jay
ITA. My wife and I were having the same discussion about the Edge and Exploder. (Mispelling intended. ) The new Explorer, from my understanding so far, has a lot of Land Rover in it as they shared a lot of joint development before the split and some of the LR engineers came over to Ford.

That Terrain Managment System looks awefully familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Its a lil known fact that Subaru's have some of the strongest and safest occupant cabins made at ANY price point. The pillars are reinforced to the point of basically being roll cages. Subaru has sent info flyers to fire depts/ rescue facilities over the years because many workers have had problems cutting the roofs of with normal rescue tools.
I just happened to be up there with one of my track cars this day. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KqfzlxftVk

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
ITA. My wife and I were having the same discussion about the Edge and Exploder. (Mispelling intended. ) The new Explorer, from my understanding so far, has a lot of Land Rover in it as they shared a lot of joint development before the split and some of the LR engineers came over to Ford.
I think i've seen more Rovers on flatbeds being towed, than i've seen them actually driving down the road. Not good.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

That Terrain Managment System looks awefully familiar.

I just happened to be up there with one of my track cars this day. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KqfzlxftVk

Your right about the LR / Ford ties.. In the same manner Dodge has benefited from their now defunct relationship with Mercedes in regard to chassis and electronics.

And that's probally Lime Rock's most played youtube vid... lol...

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 PM

250 posts, read 563,241 times
Mazda, Maxima, Pathfinder and Infiniti. Next car will be Acura!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:24 AM

34 posts, read 92,196 times
hi,
Well I have Dodge, and there was not a single day since last one year, when it run smoothly without any problem, It is so general for me to take it to mechanic and curse the day I bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut