Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestrik View Post
We like the town greens of both locations but I'm concerned about "keeping up with the Joneses" ...

My husband says he can take the train from Guilford/Madison but is this doable? My research suggests the tracks only run one way.

What's the driving commute like now that construction is wrapping up? Also, does anyone who lives in these areas miss the commercial accessibility?
Hi Nestrik,

I think you'll be able to get an idea during your house hunt whether individual neighborhoods in these towns place an emphasis on what the "Joneses" think. Based on my own experience, I would say that Guilford's community feel does not put out that kind of materialistic vibe or busy-body nosiness. Individual neighborhoods in these towns will vary.

Your husband can definitely commute on the train from these shoreline towns, no problem. It's a very popular option.

I've never had a problem with driving to another town (Connecticut is quite lovely, really, it's not so bad) to make a big purchase or hit the mall. Despite what you may have heard, there are places to buy everyday items on the shoreline.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 5,577 times
Thanks everyone! I did look again at the listings in Milford but I'm just not finding what we need in the area we like (close to downtown) right now. My husband wasn't a fan of the cookie-cutter houses in North Milford (though I like the neighborhoods and the newness of everything there). I'll keep checking.

We're going to take a look at some Guilford and Madison homes on Friday so hopefully that'll give me a better idea of what's out there. The towns are really beautiful and the people, when we've visited so far, seem really friendly. Does anyone know what the stay-at-home mom population is like (roughly)? I mean, do most moms in that area tend to work? I'm finding I'm a rare breed these days.

JayCT - I'll definitely check out Wallingford and North Haven too. Thanks for the advice!

nico7 - I appreciate the insight! For some reason my real estate agent seems to want to push Madison but I think Guilford might be more our speed. And you're right, CT is a beautiful state to drive through (and me being a stay-at-home mom I shouldn't worry so much, right?). Besides, Amazon is always a click away.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
For some reason my real estate agent seems to want to push Madison.
Maybe because in CT SAHM population is greatest in the wealthier(like Madison) communities, and in the poorest communities. In the "average" communities, most households are dual-income.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Maybe because in CT SAHM population is greatest in the wealthier(like Madison) communities, and in the poorest communities. In the "average" communities, most households are dual-income.
I never thought of that! I'll ask him Friday. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I think you'll be able to get an idea during your house hunt whether individual neighborhoods in these towns place an emphasis on what the "Joneses" think. Based on my own experience, I would say that Guilford's community feel does not put out that kind of materialistic vibe or busy-body nosiness. Individual neighborhoods in these towns will vary.
Which neighborhoods would you recommend? For ease, we were thinking of staying south of 80 and as close to town as possible but I'd like a network of streets that I could walk also.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I did look again at the listings in Milford but I'm just not finding what we need in the area we like (close to downtown) right now. My husband wasn't a fan of the cookie-cutter houses in North Milford (though I like the neighborhoods and the newness of everything there). I'll keep checking.
A bigger house, on a bigger lot, commutable to New Haven and within walking distance to a nice, walkable downtown and short distance to major shopping... All for under low 400's.

I hate to break it to you, but you may have to compromise to find what you want. I'm not sure that the perfect property you're looking for exists.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but you may have to compromise to find what you want.
No need to break it to me. I agree. That's why we're looking in Guilford and Madison... we're compromising the commute and the accessibility to retail. That's the point of this post... to gather more information about the area. My comment about us not finding what we want in Milford was simply replying to several posters who suggested I take another look at that area.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,906 times
I think Guilford would have everything that you are looking for. I considered moving to Madison for many years from where I am in lower, sw Fairfield county and decided recently that I am better off staying where I am until my kids are off to college. The main reason I decided this was because from what I understand; most of the things I was trying to leave behind are present in Madison. The best things that Madison has are it's schools, sports programs, park & rec (excellent!) programs, beaches. There is a lot of driving though. People are very nice in general. You may want to consider Old Saybrook; it's a little further but worth it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
FWIW, Milford and Branford are pretty down-to-earth. I've found people to be really friendly from those towns. I would imagine Guilford to be the same. Can't speak to Madison as I've not spent too much time there, but the feeling in towns like Westport and Darien is vastly different for the most part.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
Quote:
Which neighborhoods would you recommend? For ease, we were thinking of staying south of 80 and as close to town as possible but I'd like a network of streets that I could walk also.
Being south of 80 is much more convenient for commuting purposes. As far as specific neighborhoods, it depends on what you like. There are many great neighborhoods that are great for different reasons. If I could buy anywhere, I would probably look south of Route 1 on the western side of town, but that only has to do with my personal preferences. The green area is great as well -- Fair St. and Broad St. are classic New England, but they're rather out of my price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut