Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

I think you're on the right track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrlindy View Post
Milford -- still nervous about the school district, but starting to think it's not a bad option for us! And feeling better since someone said the people they knew who went there went on to good schools. I guess it all comes down to what you do in school and taking advantage of opportunities...you can be successful anywhere!
Exactly. One friend got his masters at NYU and is high up at a big company and I know a few doctors and lawyers from the school system.

The elementary and middle schools actually perform really well, very highly ranked. It's the high schools that are closer to the state average (slightly above), and Foran is the better of the two. That said, they're good schools with all the features for success, they just don't test as well as Fairfield schools. The mayor is taking a position as superintendent, so it should be interesting to see if he can't turn the high schools around in the next decade. If Milford's high schools start performing better, it's going to position the town really well for the future.

http://www.greatschools.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Was in Shelton this morning. Man what a beautiful area.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:35 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Was in Shelton this morning. Man what a beautiful area.
Parts of Shelton are very nice and parts are not. This is just like almost every town. Huntington and White Hills are the nicest areas. Jay

Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM

276 posts, read 589,113 times
Are there any big negatives to Milford? From what I can gather in this and other threads, it seems to be very well liked (maybe schools not as good as other towns). It also seems to be a lot less expensive (4 Bedroom Milford Homes for Sale - Real Estate with 4 bedrooms in Milford, CT - Realtor.com®) than other areas (i.e. Fairfield) while still offering good shopping, neighborhoods, etc... Is there anything I'm missing? Wife and I both work at home so commute is no issue.

Also, what are some of the better neighborhoods to look at?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1r View Post
Are there any big negatives to Milford? From what I can gather in this and other threads, it seems to be very well liked (maybe schools not as good as other towns). It also seems to be a lot less expensive (4 Bedroom Milford Homes for Sale - Real Estate with 4 bedrooms in Milford, CT - Realtor.com®) than other areas (i.e. Fairfield) while still offering good shopping, neighborhoods, etc... Is there anything I'm missing? Wife and I both work at home so commute is no issue.

Thanks!
Not really any big disadvantages. Any you read on this board are probably greatly exaggerated. For instance, some people think it's congested - it's not. Only a small stretch of Route 1 by the mall which makes up a very small percentage of the town. I actually encounter much less traffic than I do driving around Westport, or when I lived in Danbury.

A big part of the price difference is commuting proximity. Fairfield is closer to NYC and Stamford/Norwalk. Couple that with great school performance and you have a very desirable and very expensive place to live. It just gets more expensive as you go closer to NYC.

The good neighborhoods are plentiful. Just to name a few: downtown and south of downtown, above downtown by the ponds, Gulf Street area, Bayview, Woodmont, Laurel Beach, most of north Milford (especially Wheelers Farm, Wolf Harbor, West River area). If you like bigger lots and denser wooded areas that almost feel rural with farms and whatnot, north Milford. If you like the coast and a bit more engaging, dense environment, go towards the coast. If you want a walkable downtown and train station, go near downtown. It has a little bit of everything.

The only areas that aren't great are Devon roughly along Naugatuck Ave. But it's not bad or dangerous, just less attractive, lacking affluence and not as well kept as other areas.

Milford has a great deal of economic diversity, but very low crime. You'll have everything from condos under $200,000 to multi-million dollar homes on the water (of which there are many, Milford has more coastline than any town in CT). What it doesn't have is the level of extreme wealth in places of Fairfield like Southport and Congress Street.

It's a great place to live.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-18-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Fairfield is generally considered a more upscale town than Milford. It has alot of affluent neighborhoods and is in a reasonable commute to more affluent and larger employment centers. Milford is more diverse and middle class. Nothing wrong with that. It offers a lot including good schools, great parks and beaches and some of the best shopping in the state. Only you and your wife can decide which town is more suited to you. Jay

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Are there any big negatives to Milford?
I've never personally had a warm fuzzy feeling for Milford, but there aren't any negatives to speak of. Overall, it's a well regarded community in this state.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Great, thanks everyone!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 AM

If anyone can post an example of a specific house for sale (found here: 4 Bedroom Milford Homes for Sale - Real Estate with 4 bedrooms in Milford, CT - Realtor.com®) that is in a decent to nice 'neighborhoodly' area (maybe a cul de sac, or just at least not a main road, or something where houses are too few and far between), that would be greatly appreciated.

Am thinking of taking a drive this afternoon and want to make sure I look at the right areas.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
If anyone can post an example of a specific house for sale (found here: 4 Bedroom Milford Homes for Sale - Real Estate with 4 bedrooms in Milford, CT - Realtor.com®) that is in a decent to nice 'neighborhoodly' area (maybe a cul de sac, or just at least not a main road, or something where houses are too few and far between), that would be greatly appreciated.

Am thinking of taking a drive this afternoon and want to make sure I look at the right areas.

Thanks!
I have a couple of colleagues that love Lexington Green. Those 2 4Br. listings seem to be overlisted though, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut