Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,474 times

Advertisements

For Obama to lose in 2012, Republicans are going to have to offer a REALLY strong candidate. As of now, it doesn't seem likely.

Does anyone else think the Republican Party, in its current state, is just sad? It has potential, but it needs to get rid of these backwoods freaks, and offer up, intelligent, worldly candidates that can appeal to Democratic-leaning voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
For Obama to lose in 2012, Republicans are going to have to offer a REALLY strong candidate. As of now, it doesn't seem likely.

Does anyone else think the Republican Party, in its current state, is just sad? It has potential, but it needs to get rid of these backwoods freaks, and offer up, intelligent, worldly candidates that can appeal to Democratic-leaning voters.
And similarly, the Democrats need to get rid of the dynasty-type, ultra-wealthy, spend happy goons in their party. Both parties DO have bipartisan politicians, but they're in the minority.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

I personally think Obama will be re-elected, but it's still early.

What will be more interesting is when all those young people have to start paying health insurance premiums in 2012. The bulk are clueless and just heard "free health insurance". 2014 elections could lame duck the heck out of Obama.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Or unless the only R candidate is a member of the "Tea Party".
Yea shame on those constitution loving, balanced budgety, limited government, libertly loving folks. What we need is bigger government, more social programs, higher taxes and more debt.

All jokes aside I'm not a Tea Party member, but as a whole have no issues with them. They are peaceful, play by the rules and hold fast to values we have long forgotten.

Quote:
Backwoods freaks? Like Scott Brown? Susan Collins? Jim DeMint? Lindsay Graham? John McCain? Rand Paul? Ron Paul? (One of them backwoods with a Ph D) Marco Rubio? Olympia Snowe?

Point is, I don't think you are being very fair about the party based on your description above.

Or do you mean if they have any form of Southern accent, that makes them stupid and backwoods? If so I can make a similar case for Shooomah, or Charlie Raaangal.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yea shame on those constitution loving, balanced budgety, limited government, libertly loving folks. What we need is bigger government, more social programs, higher taxes and more debt.
They're great in theory, and if they weren't so angry and determined to destroy the entire Democratic party/Republicans/Independents who disagree with them at any cost, I'd be all for them. What they lack is bipartisanship. They're stagnant; a blockage in the American economy. Some of the most closed-minded, one-track-mind A-holes I know are members of the Tea Party. What I do appreciate about the TP (heh) is that they're separating themselves from the Republican party, making the traditional Rs look a hell of a lot better.

Regarding them wanting less government, I wonder how many of them are for a Gay marriage ban, or an abortion ban (I disagree with abortion BTW). My point is, they want government OUT of their lives, but IN the lives of people they disagree with.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-09-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think they are sad. The RNC deliberately stroked a base that can never be satiated while not turning off the general public. Too many loose cannons and their captain (generally being Eric Cantor) is a shill, all the while facing even more far right opponents in primary bouts.

JV,

Here's the thing: they don't love the Constitution. They love what they think it is, but not what it actually is. Many have described taxation as an Unconstitutional act by the Government, for instance. They aren't for liberty, they are for tyranny by those that have power already, thinking that they might get a taste of that power.

I actually think some in the "Tea Party" in the grassroots are probably well balanced individuals, but the vast majority bear shocking resemblance to the Know Nothing Party.

As well Scott Brown, Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe have been maligned by the Republican leadership. It looks like John McCain is also being sidelined. Jim DeMint is the classical nutter favouring a "balanced budget" amendment to the Constitution, and establishing English as the official language of the US. I like Scott Brown, Susan Collins, the old school John McCain, and Olympia Snowe (as I liked Chris Shays, M. Jodi Rell, and Rob Simmons) but to say they are now the mainstream power-brokers in the Republican party is pretty farcical.

Cambium,

I don't know where Fox got its' numbers, but most of the "debt" under Obama was putting the Wars of Afghanistan and Iraq on the books, something the predecessor's administration chose not to do. The wars only since their inception basically cost about $1.4BN a day. The problem Obama faces, and needs to deal with, is receipts.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:

Unless the Republicans get find a moderate candidate, they're gonna get their asses kicked. Mitt Romney is the closest thing that comes to being a moderate and even that is a stretch. Republicans have moved so far to the right over the last 30-odd years it is staggering. They just don't represent me anymore. That being said, I'm less than thrilled with Obama running for a second term, but considering those who are running against him I am likely to do so, because he's the lesser of evils. This has become the basis for how lots of people vote nowadays, and this points to a larger trend: People today don't vote for the candidate they love, they vote for the candidate they don't hate. People love to say voting is a responsibility of the citizens, but since most politicians neglect their responsibilities (serving the public, not their douchebag lobbyists), it's gotten to the point where people vote not out of enthusiasm but out of obligation. Unless there's some politician who has the balls to tear down K Street and start representing their constiuents, regardless of who wins in 2012 the campaign slogan should be "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
I once heard Marion Barry's campaign slogan was "the devil you know." Kind of fitting.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

All jokes aside I'm not a Tea Party member, but as a whole have no issues with them. They are peaceful, play by the rules and hold fast to values we have long forgotten.

Backwoods freaks? Like Scott Brown? Susan Collins? Jim DeMint? Lindsay Graham? John McCain? Rand Paul? Ron Paul? (One of them backwoods with a Ph D) Marco Rubio? Olympia Snowe?

Point is, I don't think you are being very fair about the party based on your description above.

Or do you mean if they have any form of Southern accent, that makes them stupid and backwoods? If so I can make a similar case for Shooomah, or Charlie Raaangal.
Oh, come on JViello. Let's go through your list:

Scott Brown is a fluke. He will NOT be re-elected in MA, and will have to change his party affiliation to be a political contender in that State.

Republicans have wanted to boot Susan Collins from office for a LONG time. Just like her cohort Olympia Snowe. Furthermore, they are NOT Presidential candidates, nor will they ever be.

No idea who Jim DeMint is. AKA, not a national candidate for anything.

LINDSAY GRAHAM? Seriously? Seriously. I'm not even going there.

John McCain was a pretty decent Republican, but he got served by Obama, and will never run again for the Presidency.

Neither Rand & Ron Paul will ever win a Republican primary.

The only credible Republican you listed is Marco Rubio. He's a bit too conservative for my taste, but at least he's intelligent.

The point of my post was to point out the awful slew of Republicans vying for the Presidency as of NOW. Bachmann, Pawlenty, Palin (cough, cough), Perry, etc., etc. Romney is the only hope for Republicans in 2012. Sorry.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
As well Scott Brown, Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe have been maligned by the Republican leadership. It looks like John McCain is also being sidelined. Jim DeMint is the classical nutter favouring a "balanced budget" amendment to the Constitution, and establishing English as the official language of the US. I like Scott Brown, Susan Collins, the old school John McCain, and Olympia Snowe (as I liked Chris Shays, M. Jodi Rell, and Rob Simmons) but to say they are now the mainstream power-brokers in the Republican party is pretty farcical.
Perfectly said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut