Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

Hmm... An academic under-achiever with an Evangelical bent who serves as Governor of Texas as President? Where have I seen this movie? How did we enjoy it the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
President Obama is a great president. I just wish he would have went with a public option on health care .

Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
An academic under-achiever
Well, graduating Yale and Harvard isn't really under-achieving, although he had some help getting in.

Disclosure: not a Bush fan.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Well, graduating Yale and Harvard isn't really under-achieving, although he had some help getting in.

Disclosure: not a Bush fan.
Yep, I'll acknowledge-- Rick Perry is likely not as bright as George Bush. Sounds like a horse to bet on...

Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Hmm... An academic under-achiever with an Evangelical bent who serves as Governor of Texas as President? Where have I seen this movie? How did we enjoy it the first time?
You know, I was starting to think that too, I even wondered if Bush was gov. of TX today would he have done something like that "Christian prayer rally" and all.

But then again, I guess Bush didn't have this issue that his super-conservative base may have if they're really picky....

Rick Perry's Inconvenient Truth: GOP Governor Was a Democrat - TIME

(PS If anyone remembers, Gore actually ran in '88 as the "conservative/moderate" Democratic candidate (the article says that he was Gore's TX campaign manager that year)....ironic huh? Of course, James Hansen was just getting started with promoting "global warming" that hot summer )

Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Yep, I'll acknowledge-- Rick Perry is likely not as bright as George Bush. Sounds like a horse to bet on...
I really don't like Perry. Have no interest. (I hate "fake church" to begin. "Dear Lord, we are about to embark on something stupid and dangerous, please look after us and bless us...only us, screw the other people. P.S. Thanks for my 'smokin hot wife' Amen." ) I have my issues with Bush as well on fiscal things, trust me.

But the one thing I can not say and think was simply wrong was painting the man "stupid". He's not stupid. Not in any way, shape or form. In fact, I'm willing to bet those who bet on it in a tangible way, lost hard. I'd go so far to say the man is BRILLIANT. Anyone labeled as "stupid" and has his credentials is a fox.

Just keeping it real.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I really don't like Perry. Have no interest. (I hate "fake church" to begin. "Dear Lord, we are about to embark on something stupid and dangerous, please look after us and bless us...only us, screw the other people. P.S. Thanks for my 'smokin hot wife' Amen." ) I have my issues with Bush as well on fiscal things, trust me.

But the one thing I can not say and think was simply wrong was painting the man "stupid". He's not stupid. Not in any way, shape or form. In fact, I'm willing to bet those who bet on it in a tangible way, lost hard. I'd go so far to say the man is BRILLIANT. Anyone labeled as "stupid" and has his credentials is a fox.

Just keeping it real.
I didn't get any C's or D's in college. Rick Perry got a lot of them. While it was a long time ago, it shows a lack of seriousness, and a lack of intellectual curiosity, and a lack of intellectualism. It's up to you whether you care...

Rick Perry's Texas A&M Transcript

Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
I didn't get any C's or D's in college. Rick Perry got a lot of them. While it was a long time ago, it shows a lack of seriousness, and a lack of intellectual curiosity, and a lack of intellectualism. It's up to you whether you care...

I was talking about Bush not being stupid, not Perry. Sorry if that didn't come across.

For this thread, this guy pretty much says it all.

Felonious Munk Presents: Stop It B! OBAMA PAY YOUR &*%$#% BILLS - YouTube

ETA, besides, I thought we agreed that standardized testing is a joke? I got some C's and D's, mostly because I didn't give a crap and thought the teacher/subject/curriculum was a joke. I got the top grades possible when I wanted too and or it interested me.

Last edited by JViello; 08-11-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

I would've never thought that London and Israel would have big social protests about the same kinds of issues vexing Congress last month (yes, Israel, read about the "tent city protest", the L.A. Times had a big article about it for one, some say it's involving a million people which is about 1/7 of the whole country! It is causing PM Netanyahu to seriously consider reversing some of the austerity measures and cuts in social programs, he is an ex-American (and quite conservative, though not a "Tea Partier") and it's like Cantor or McConnell suddenly agreeing to tax hikes), and I think if we get extreme austerity in the US and it starts to hit people directly who didn't think it would hit them, who knows what will happen?
Here's an interesting NY Times article today on the Tel Aviv protests. Let's see the issues, huge wealth gap, domination by a few corporations, too many tax loopholes for the uber-wealthy and large corporations? Could see this kind of thing here depending how things go post-2012:

NYT: Israelis demand end to staggering wealth gap - World news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

And an earlier article with a photo: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44046894.../#.TkU2o2EhCuI

Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

Not that I want to add to this, but I got C's and maybe one D in college and I am doing very well now. I think it is a lack of maturity and focus at that age more than anything and that can change with time. Believe me I am not fan of Rick Perry but performance in school does not necessarily mean you will not be successful or a good leader later in life. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut