Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 PM

93 posts, read 187,291 times

Advertisements

I cannot understand why gas stations here in CT advertise the price of gas but its cash only!!! Sometimes they list the credit price otherwise you have to figure it out once you get to the pump. Has it always been that way? I know CT is not the only state that does this...just find it very frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
they started dong it last year when the prices for gas sky rocketed and instead of stopping it when the prices dropped a little they continued, MOST gas stations in my area have 1 price for cash 1 prce for credit but i belive its state law that Both prices have to be clearly marked on the pump, if there not both clearly marked you can file formal complaints...
but yeah its all kinds of fun.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM

93 posts, read 187,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
they started dong it last year when the prices for gas sky rocketed and instead of stopping it when the prices dropped a little they continued, MOST gas stations in my area have 1 price for cash 1 prce for credit but i belive its state law that Both prices have to be clearly marked on the pump, if there not both clearly marked you can file formal complaints...
but yeah its all kinds of fun.

They do have it at the pump but its hard to see before driving up to it. Most gas signs I have been seeing only post the cash price. Maybe its that super small print under the cash price? Luckily I am getting used to it so I have been scouting for the stations that have the same price listed for cash and credit.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
If gas goes down about another 50-75c/gallon they'll probably stop it until gas skyrockets again!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
This is not a new thing. It has been around for years. The reason some gas stations do this is that they must pay a fee for the credit card transaction. So instead of charging everyone the same, they give their cash customers a break in the price. Jay

Old 09-02-2011, 06:12 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Ecommerce charges an amount per month (usually $20 maybe more) to provide credit card transactions. Then they take a small fee per transaction. I know this from when I was selling Market America products. So now think about the gas stations which dont give you a break for paying with cash. Nice extra little profit there.

I always pay by card. At a 10 gallon fill up its not worth walking inside waiting 5 minutes to pay cashier and walking back to save $1.50. It's not a lazy thing, I just need to be in and out.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is not a new thing. It has been around for years. The reason some gas stations do this is that they must pay a fee for the credit card transaction. So instead of charging everyone the same, they give their cash customers a break in the price. Jay
Yes but in recent years they seem to only do it when gas prices are high, like maybe about $3.50/gal plus. When they went down after the 2008 financial meltdown this practice was mostly curbed for awhile until they went majorly up again this year......

Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,679 times
I refuse to give my business to a company that overcharges for me to use my Credit Card. It does not cost the station 10 cents per gallon for me to use my card. I would rather spend 3 cents more than the cash price at a different station that doesnt pull that crap.

I usually just get my gas at BJ's in Southington anyway. Last weekend when everyone was charging $3.85-$3.95 for a gallon of regular before the hurricane they were charging $3.66. It's now up to $3.74 but still a lot less than any where else in the area.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i agree jaydez...it makes me sick to see a 10cents a gal difference when (after having our own store i know how much our credit card processor charged) its only a fraction of that in fees per swipe and when you factor volume vs monthly fee for processing its still less than 10cents a gal.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 AM

240 posts, read 537,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
I refuse to give my business to a company that overcharges for me to use my Credit Card. It does not cost the station 10 cents per gallon for me to use my card. I would rather spend 3 cents more than the cash price at a different station that doesnt pull that crap.

I usually just get my gas at BJ's in Southington anyway. Last weekend when everyone was charging $3.85-$3.95 for a gallon of regular before the hurricane they were charging $3.66. It's now up to $3.74 but still a lot less than any where else in the area.
I'll gladly pay an extra 4 cents a gallon when I am getting 3% cash back.

I've been told that credit card companies charge a 4% fee to the store owner for all transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut