Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM

12 posts, read 12,549 times

Advertisements

Just because a person is a state official, does it mean that they have to get 'extra harsh' treatment - there is no crime committed here, is there?

The extreme reason, in this case racism or some sort of prejudice, suggests itself when the police fail to do what is reasonably fair in the circumstances. Is it more likely that a non-state official in a similar position may have got off with better treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by databeta View Post
The extreme reason, in this case racism or some sort of prejudice, suggests itself when the police fail to do what is reasonably fair in the circumstances. Is it more likely that a non-state official in a similar position may have got off with better treatment?
It's possible. People are angry with state employees.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 AM

12 posts, read 12,549 times
Second that. Have seen business owners/store employees talk disparagingly to town officials, and not just about their taxes

If this premise is true, what we are seeing here is one set of state employees against another of their own ilk - right hand hurting the left hand or vice versa!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's why I said "willingness". Nine times out of ten, the officer will drive the individual to at least a gas station. It's unfortunate that given her circumstances, they couldn't go out of their way to offer ANY assistance to her whatsoever. They could've - they just didn't want to.
Well sure, I agree. But at the same time, perhaps she was just being extremely difficult when they knew she was in front of her friends house they saw no reason to offer a ride. I mean, if you were in front of a friends house would you ask for a ride down the street?

Quote:
I just re-read the story. I was under the impression she just didn't have the correct plate. She had the right player attached but when it was run through COLLECT (the DMV system) it came back as unregistered. There IS another database they can check that lists the VINs of all state vehicles. Only certain officers have access to it but I would see that it was checked before her car was towed - that would be the deciding factor, especially given her position. Yes, it sounds like favoritism, but there is something to be said for giving people breaks when you know the particular issue is beyond their control. Those officers knew damn well that the vehicle was registered and it was likely a mixup on the DMV's part. They just went out of their way to make it difficult for her. By the book? Yes. Morally? Could have been handeled differently.
Perhaps, but what I read in the story was that the database the police check didn't have the correct info.

Either way, I'm more and more failing to see how "race" has anything to do with this. Especially since they knew who she was. Come on man, you and I both know most cops, even the most reasonable pretty much get really obtuse when you start to be an ahole.

Quote:
I disagree. Announcing her position to the officers was not entitlement, it was simply letting them know how/why she has rights to drive the vehicle. That's the first question an officer asks when finding out a vehicle is unregistered - why are you driving it and who gave you permission?
No no, I wasn't saying she was announcer herself as "you know who I am". What I'm saying is they KNEW who she was, but even still, the car could not be driven. Why couldn't the queen just accept it, go to her friends house and get a lift home and sort it out in the morning?

I'm serious, I really smell a ranting b-word here where the cops were just like "oookay then....here is protocol, have a nice evening." Can't blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by databeta View Post
Just because a person is a state official, does it mean that they have to get 'extra harsh' treatment - there is no crime committed here, is there?

What would you consider "extra harsh"? The car was unregistered, the police could not verify that it was. That's the crime. Nappier decided the walking 20 feet to her friends house that she just dropped off was beneath her, and walked home. That's not the cops fault.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Come on man, you and I both know most cops, even the most reasonable pretty much get really obtuse when you start to be an ahole.
I know, that's my point. We can agree that even great cops will go out of their way to stick it to you if you're being a d*ck, but there are a lot of terrible, neanderthal-ish officers (who ARE racist) out there who go too far on a daily basis. Trust me. It's really not out of the question to suggest that even subconsciously, race was an issue.

In most cases I think pulling the race card is disgusting. Here, I'm not so sure. I really hope not.

Even Chief Roberts acknowledges that the officers could have gone to greater lengths.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-13-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I know, that's my point. We can agree that even great cops will go out of their way to stick it to you if you're being a d*ck, but there are a lot of terrible, neanderthal-ish officers (who ARE racist) out there who go too far on a daily basis. Trust me. It's really not out of the question to suggest that even subconsciously, race was an issue.

In most cases I think pulling the race card is disgusting. Here, I'm not so sure. I really hope not.
I guess we are saying the same thing, it just comes down to the chicken or the egg. Who got sh*tty first. Nappier or the cops. I honestly don't know, but logically I can't see the cops just out to give the state treasurer a hard time - it's not like they didn't know *somebody* would be calling their bosses in the morning. I can see a state treasurer used to be chauffeured around and having the carpet rolled out more than not getting pretty pissy at the thought her car was going to get towed and not accepting an error was made at the DMV.

I really hope a race issue was not at hand...but I can tell you this, if it wasn't and she claimed this crap, she needs to step down.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
I guess we are saying the same thing, it just comes down to the chicken or the egg. Who got sh*tty first. Nappier or the cops. I honestly don't know, but logically I can't see the cops just out to give the state treasurer a hard time - it's not like they didn't know *somebody* would be calling their bosses in the morning. I can see a state treasurer used to be chauffeured around and having the carpet rolled out more than not getting pretty pissy at the thought her car was going to get towed and not accepting an error was made at the DMV.

I really hope a race issue was not at hand...but I can tell you this, if it wasn't and she claimed this crap, she needs to step down.
Well, I was talking to a buddy of mine who's friend is a Hartford cop (i know...), here's what he said(he wasnt there, just common inside knowledge...); Nappier was there in the parking lot, the cops were called on an unrelated call at the same spot. The female cop, who was the lead "antagonist" in this drama is well known to be a *itch extrodinaire. They (cops) saw her and the female cop went right into full suspicious mode. When Nappier made it abundantly clear who she was and what she was doing, the cop didn't like that and made her life miserable. The rest you know. She did nothing wrong, her car was and is legally registered and they should have dropped it right there. Just my .02

Imagine if Dickie Blumenthal were found in the north end at 1am...You'd never even know, it would have ended right there!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Well, I was talking to a buddy of mine who's friend is a Hartford cop (i know...), here's what he said(he wasnt there, just common inside knowledge...); Nappier was there in the parking lot, the cops were called on an unrelated call at the same spot. The female cop, who was the lead "antagonist" in this drama is well known to be a *itch extrodinaire. They (cops) saw her and the female cop went right into full suspicious mode. When Nappier made it abundantly clear who she was and what she was doing, the cop didn't like that and made her life miserable. The rest you know. She did nothing wrong, her car was and is legally registered and they should have dropped it right there. Just my .02
This is how I envisioned it as well and speaking to my officer buddies, they seem to agree. We're not hearing WHAT she was detained for (if I'm missing something, please fill me in). As I said, if a white woman from Avon in a Suburban were questioned and she said something along the lines of "I'm dropping off a girl from my child's dance class", it would end right there - no doubt about it.

And with regards to chicken or the egg, JV, what is taught in the police academy is greater than 75% of the time, the way you approach it determines the end result. That's true for almost everything.

As I said, and as the CHIEF said, there are other options officers can take to find out information on a specific vehicle. This officer chose to ignore all that and make Nappier's night miserable.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
This is how I envisioned it as well and speaking to my officer buddies, they seem to agree. We're not hearing WHAT she was detained for (if I'm missing something, please fill me in). As I said, if a white woman from Avon in a Suburban were questioned and she said something along the lines of "I'm dropping off a girl from my child's dance class", it would end right there - no doubt about it.

And with regards to chicken or the egg, JV, what is taught in the police academy is greater than 75% of the time, the way you approach it determines the end result. That's true for almost everything.

As I said, and as the CHIEF said, there are other options officers can take to find out information on a specific vehicle. This officer chose to ignore all that and make Nappier's night miserable.
The DMV is backing up the officers claim that the vehicle was not showing registered by admitting they made a mistake and that the new vehicle was never entered into the system at all.

Connecticut DMV reverses position on state Treasurer Denise Nappier's car- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

Interesting all around. I'm curious to see what comes of this.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
The DMV is backing up the officers claim that the vehicle was not showing registered by admitting they made a mistake and that the new vehicle was never entered into the system at all.

Connecticut DMV reverses position on state Treasurer Denise Nappier's car- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut
Right but again, why didn't they check other sources available to them given it was a state vehicle, and given that she's a high ranking individual?

I agree, it should be interesting to see how this all plays out. My guess is this gestapo police officer approached her aggressively (not uncommon for female officers for some reason), Nappier was taken back and they had words. Things escalated from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut