Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
That cop is an idiot. There is nothing in there that show Nappier did anything wrong. The cop was trying to make Nappier miserable by NOT exercising her powers of discretion. Nappier should have been allowed to leave with a "sorry for the hassle,ma'am". Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
It may not be public common knowledge, but the license plate numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 are reserved for top elected officials in order of rank. So, number "1" would be Governor, "2" Vice governor, etc. The police of all people should know this.
They do. That's why I'm questioning their actions - and I'm normally pro-police.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
No, the incident report says she turned into the driveway in front of the cop (as in, the officer was following her). Nowhere does it state she blocked the vehicle in.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, the incident report says she turned into the driveway in front of the cop (as in, the officer was following her). Nowhere does it state she blocked the vehicle in.
But, the officer was not following her. The officer was responding to a call at the scene.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
But, the officer was not following her. The officer was responding to a call at the scene.
Yes, a different call. So either the call was in the same complex (which is highly likely) or she was following Nappier for some reason. Either way, if the officer was responding to a high priority call, why was she wasting her time with an "unregistered" vehicle? See why I'm suspicious of the officer's actions? It doesn't make any sense.

But from what I can see, there was no "blocking" of the officer's cruiser. I'm still confused as to how you come to that conclusion.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:52 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by databeta View Post
JV, 'extra harsh' because when the identity of the person was proven and one database did not help, considering that it was a state official, a bit more effort on the part of the police was absent. Plus they seem to have contributed to the ugly situation.

Especially if there are slip ups all around, isn't a person innocent until proven guilty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I've read the news stories and most of the comments here. To me it comes down to one detail and that is did Denise have the number "4" license plate in her possession at the time and show that to the police? If she did everything is moot and the police were out of line.

It may not be public common knowledge, but the license plate numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 are reserved for top elected officials in order of rank. So, number "1" would be Governor, "2" Vice governor, etc. The police of all people should know this.
To both of you I would say on the surface I would agree, but here is the caveat. The car was coming up unregistered, as in no record.

This isn't the car she has always had. The reports said it's a new car that was assigned to her and the records were never entered until 9-2-11. So in essence the car did not exist in the database.

From the perspective of the police, if you can't verify a valid reg or insurance the car goes nowhere. Lets say the police were like "Okay Ms. Nappier, we know who you are and we know it's a state vehicle, have a nice night" and a mile down the road, she t-boned Joe Citizen in a traffic accident and the car was indeed uninsured because the state slipped up. The police would be hamstrung, the public outraged and the state on the hook for huge liability.

So yes, it may have been Madam Treasurer, and yes it may have been a state car, but their was a mistake somewhere and I think the police were correct in not letting the car continue on. Just because it's a state vehicle doesn't make it above the laws you and I have to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As I read this, the ;police are saying they (3 officers) did offer her a ride but she refused. Nappier says they did not make the offer. Someone is not telling the truth. That said, doesn't she have a cell phone? Is there not someone who could have come and picked her up? Sounds fishy to me. Jay
That's what I mean by "It don't add up". It's almost as if she walked home for a good headline. I hate to think that way, but seriously, WTH would you do that unless you wanted to prove a point or make a statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It sounds like cops were being cops. I have some doubts it was because Nappier is black. Many cops are d*cks to everyone.

The last time I was stopped it was by an African American female officer... and she couldn't have been nicer.
Agreed. And right wrong or indifferent what the cops in the North End of Hartford have to deal with on a regular basis does indeed IMO put a certain mindset into the mix. I go there every other month or so to do work for a property owner and it's just a freakin zoo. I can't use any other term, it's just a wild free for all that you really can't grasp unless you spend time there.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
it's just a freakin zoo
LOL - perfect word to describe a lot of neighborhoods in CT.

I hear what you're saying and you're absolutely correct that the car stops there while they investigate. They should've towed her car. But at the same time, a little professionalism on their part couldn't hurt;
"I understand you're upset ma'am, we'll drive you home and it can be sorted out with the state in the morning. In the meantime, this is the number to a cab company that you can call to get to work, and I'm sure the state will reimburse you if what you're saying is correct."
That statement would have solved everything, and I promise you, it wasn't said. But the union claims it was, so it must've been said, right?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:

I hear what you're saying and you're absolutely correct that the car stops there while they investigate. They should've towed her car. But at the same time, a little professionalism on their part couldn't hurt;
"I understand you're upset ma'am, we'll drive you home and it can be sorted out with the state in the morning. In the meantime, this is the number to a cab company that you can call to get to work, and I'm sure the state will reimburse you if what you're saying is correct."
That statement would have solved everything, and I promise you, it wasn't said. But the union claims it was, so it must've been said, right?
Agreed. I want to believe the union rep...but, ah, I don't trust poisonous snakes. lol

As for the "zoo"...man, you just can't explain it. I remember just two weeks ago, coming down Albany avenue. People just walking across the street willy nilly darting out from parked cars, cars just stopping in the middle of the street double parking and people getting out, cars pulling right out in front of you, people shouting to each other all over the place, trunk rattling bass boom in every third car, and then out of a side street come two quads just blowing onto Albany ave without even looking and cranking down the street full throttle swerving in and out of cars in both direction lanes etc. I just sat there shaking my head. Zoo, absolute zoo.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:

Why should the car have been towed? The officer wrote the wrong VIN on the police report. She took it off the paperwork Nappier had (her previous car) and never bothered to verify it to the actual VIN on the car. State registered vehicles don't carry insurance cards and it would have been a simple matter for the cop to verify the reg through alternate means available to them

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Agreed. I want to believe the union rep...but, ah, I don't trust poisonous snakes. lol

As for the "zoo"...man, you just can't explain it. I remember just two weeks ago, coming down Albany avenue. People just walking across the street willy nilly darting out from parked cars, cars just stopping in the middle of the street double parking and people getting out, cars pulling right out in front of you, people shouting to each other all over the place, trunk rattling bass boom in every third car, and then out of a side street come two quads just blowing onto Albany ave without even looking and cranking down the street full throttle swerving in and out of cars in both direction lanes etc. I just sat there shaking my head. Zoo, absolute zoo.
HA! You couldn't have explained it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Why should the car have been towed? The officer wrote the wrong VIN on the police report. She took it off the paperwork Nappier had (her previous car) and never bothered to verify it to the actual VIN on the car. State registered vehicles don't carry insurance cards and it would have been a simple matter for the cop to verify the reg through alternate means available to them
I think the officer should have investigated further, which she didn't do (secondary databases). But even then, if there's no recognition of registration, as JV said, and she t-bones someone, it's on the cops. That said, they knew damn well it was a mixup and should have went out of their way to help a fellow citizen. Put down your 'bad guy (girl), I can scr*w you over' front and assist someone who is being screwed over through no fault of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut