Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 AM

26 posts, read 32,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
they said that the democrats have been in power for years now in CT. Maybe that's why the economy is so bad... I've heard the same in states like NC too. They got taxes on everything.. but at least the property taxes are sure cheaper down south.

When will they realize all Keynes does is increase gov. Didn't work in the 30's, 60's, 70's and now. That economist has been shot down by MIT Ph.d. Barro of Harvard in his Nobel.

Now what is the WSJ? Oh, the wall street journal?
Yes. WSJ is short for the Wall Street Journal. Well the only state around here that are low in tax is NH and DE (no sales or income tax only hotel tax of 6%). One of the reasons I own a vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

I've been in NC several times the COL (cost of living) is about 35% cheaper than here; so is DE. Your food bill, gas, electric, entertainment, etc. It is amazing.

I pay $1,250 in property tax on a home I just bought for $450,000 3/4mi from the ocean in DE. Oh so I miss the New Haven Ballet or Philomonic and have to see the American Ballet Theatre or the world class NY, Philly or DC philomonic/symphony when it comes to Philly, DC or NY when I retire let alone my state tax bill.

We do have by the WSJ standards #50 in Gov. with Malloy, Blumenthal was #50 Attorney Gen - now a Senator, one of the worst business climate states, 3rd highest taxes, the least happiest and friendliest. Those are impressive. Oh, I forgot that joke Bysowicz, who cares if mispelled, the old Sec of State whom now is running for Senator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krebman View Post
Yes. WSJ is short for the Wall Street Journal. Well the only state around here that are low in tax is NH and DE (no sales or income tax only hotel tax of 6%). One of the reasons I own a vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

I've been in NC several times the COL (cost of living) is about 35% cheaper than here; so is DE. Your food bill, gas, electric, entertainment, etc. It is amazing.

I pay $1,250 in property tax on a home I just bought for $450,000 3/4mi from the ocean in DE. Oh so I miss the New Haven Ballet or Philomonic and have to see the American Ballet Theatre or the world class NY, Philly or DC philomonic/symphony when it comes to Philly, DC or NY when I retire let alone my state tax bill.

We do have by the WSJ standards #50 in Gov. with Malloy, Blumenthal was #50 Attorney Gen - now a Senator, one of the worst business climate states, 3rd highest taxes, the least happiest and friendliest. Those are impressive. Oh, I forgot that joke Bysowicz, who cares if mispelled, the old Sec of State whom now is running for Senator.
Oh look another bash CT thread. I see you only have 3 posts, so I won't give you too hard of a time, but these topics have been discussed at length, over and over and over and over and over and over and over. (And I'm one of the most outspoken critics FYI) You are not educating anyone.

Although, as has also been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over, NC in no way shape or form has a 35% lower COL. Those of us who lived there and many who currently live there and are trying to get back attest to that.

Having said all that, this state does have it's problems yes. But as many have discovered moving away, New England, and CT specifically aside from the nutjobs in Hartford is a very unique place and that in itself has value. You simply can not, will not ever find a place like the lower CT River Valley in NC. (And in the same geographical foot print the WNC mountains IMHO don't hold a candle to the Green and White mountains.).

I've actually looked pretty hard into DE, but with the glut of retired government workers (Who tend to be big government people who made a fortune off of tax payer money and now don't want to pay any. ) the 70's used to be feel of cities like Dover and fry pan flat topography I'm still not sold.

So anyway, welcome to City-Data, prepare to have what you consider an ideal in your head challenged in ways you never thought possible. I know I have.

Last edited by JViello; 09-25-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
That's funny... I travel constantly and there are plenty of places I have been several times-- yet that's not enough for me to calculate the COL differences to a an exact percentage. I eat in restaurants which I find to be about the same price all over. I don't food shop anywhere but Connecticut. I don't pay gas (except for the rental car and the lowest I've seen is only 12% -15% less than Connecticut). Entertainment? What's that movies? Same price everywhere I've gone-- Maybe a dollar cheaper.

Unless you own property and actually live in these places, I have no idea how you come up with these numbers.

The biggest difference in COL is real estate. Period.

I'm certainly not going to say that Connecticut is not an expensive place to live, but 35% on everyday expenses? I don't think so. My every day expenses only changed about 10% when I moved from Texas to Connecticut. Dry cleaning is dry cleaning...

Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
That was written and it was in the WSJ. I know most of CT only reads the NYT. The editorial of the WSJ loves knocking Malloy as the fiscal economic idiot of all 50 govs.
Why is he a fiscal idiot? Because he did not come into office and immediately slash 3,600 state workers? Because he felt it was better to make a deal with the unions and try and save jobs and keep those people off the unemployment list? Because he is not paying the loudmouth bafoon game like Christie is in NJ? Give me a break. Jay

Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Actually Connecticut ranks as one of the happiest and helatiest states in the country. And if you ever looked beyond those idiot headlines, you will see Connecticut was recently ranked one of the lowest for taxes overall. What makes us different is that we do not have a county level of government so many of the duties and expenses that other states push onto the counties, are done by the state here.

And also I must say, I do not know where you come up with the 35% more expensive for groceries. I think you are just pulling numbers out of your hat. Jay

Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM

168 posts, read 275,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually Connecticut ranks as one of the happiest and helatiest states in the country. And if you ever looked beyond those idiot headlines, you will see Connecticut was recently ranked one of the lowest for taxes overall. What makes us different is that we do not have a county level of government so many of the duties and expenses that other states push onto the counties, are done by the state here.

And also I must say, I do not know where you come up with the 35% more expensive for groceries. I think you are just pulling numbers out of your hat. Jay

REALLY?????

That is what this blog is about.... The state giving kickbacks to corporations. We are 3rd in taxes.. Where are you getting your info The New York Times?

As for surveys I laughed when they said this year we finally did not make the top in a bad thing. We are not the fat state, we are one of the thinest. Hurrah we made it on something. Look at CNBC or Bloombergs or the Wall Street Journal for your info. There web pages are full with great information.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:06 AM

24 posts, read 39,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's funny... I travel constantly and there are plenty of places I have been several times-- yet that's not enough for me to calculate the COL differences to a an exact percentage. I eat in restaurants which I find to be about the same price all over. I don't food shop anywhere but Connecticut. I don't pay gas (except for the rental car and the lowest I've seen is only 12% -15% less than Connecticut). Entertainment? What's that movies? Same price everywhere I've gone-- Maybe a dollar cheaper.

Unless you own property and actually live in these places, I have no idea how you come up with these numbers.

The biggest difference in COL is real estate. Period.

I'm certainly not going to say that Connecticut is not an expensive place to live, but 35% on everyday expenses? I don't think so. My every day expenses only changed about 10% when I moved from Texas to Connecticut. Dry cleaning is dry cleaning...

As an Officer in the Coast Guard I have been relocated 6 times in my 25 years. I have to say CT is the most expensive. My wife moans at the cost of food in Stop & Shop and Costco. My neighbor from Ohio says the same. Even the movies cost much more to go. They are the only ones that talk to us since we moved here. The couple next door from NYC intro themselves however they are only here in the summer and a few times in the winter on weekends. Everyone seems to keep to themselves.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM

633 posts, read 1,645,567 times
Why dont you go to Price Rite and I forgot the other name they are dead cheap as well... we often dont go to Stop & Shop often because of the price... Some these cheaper states didnt have some products that I wanted and some were not that great. I know of one place in Utah that sells down-right cheap that most of the food were spoil and they told me to becareful because you dont want to get sick! SO yea you pay what you get here. So dont even start complaining. If you dont like it here just leave my state I am sick of some people complaining all the time those greedy cheap people and it feels like they're the ones that put this state down. So leave our beautiful state if you whine too much we dont need cry babys here.

Sorry, I dont meant to sound mean I'm just getting annoyed with these type of people.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:25 AM

168 posts, read 275,545 times
Now I heard Unilever's manufacturing plant is pulling out of Clinton. Garrity (sorry about spelling if wrong) flashlights shut down in Madison wh P&G bought them. Pfizer is pulling out of Groton and closing its R&D at Yale in New Haven. Igor is calling a move out of Stratford.

Are they really moving or asking for the Malloy Tax kickback?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 AM

24 posts, read 39,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

REALLY??????

I saw on the business news and I read that CT was one of the top taxed states. Bloomberg's (a very substantial and honest business news corporation) ranks it #1. Sorry if you read backwards; otherwise this is a blatant misconception: especially for a moderator.

By the way everything is expensive here and as said before I lived and relocated numerous times with the Coast Guard so I should be somewhat informant.

The Most and Least Taxing States to Live and Retire In - Yahoo! Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut