Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 AM

168 posts, read 275,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here is a link to what I was referencing

CT News Junkie | Report: CT Business Taxes Lowest of Any State

Jay

See where you're coming from. That is business and we are talking about CT Gov big business kickbacks.

Joe Blow has to pick up the tag. Remember the cost of petro/gas in NJ is about .40-.50 a gallon cheaper and you do not pay a car tax or boat tax.

Those two taxes hit almost everybody. That is about a $1000 to a couple.

Car tax avg. $400-600. Drive 30 gallons that is about $13 a week which is about $650-$700 a year.

Fleet business in CT pays this.

By the way Arm & Hammer I shop at Costco and CT is my second home. I was brought up in Fairfield CTY. I also live in NYC. I probably make a lot more than you and I still clip coupons. By the way Stop & Shop is not that cheap. Funny, however you say that because I go to the one in Branford because it is a lot cheaper than Madison's and shop at the BigY when there are sales.

Big ticket items COSTCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a frugal my wife is not as bad as me but hey we like my summer fun with my kids and my Disney winter trip. So don't act so high and mighty. I could afford a Benz or a Beemer easy, but I drive a Nissan Rogue and my wife a Honda mini van. Both cars made in the USA down south in AL.

She made fun of me as Stop & Shop when I bought 5 Mitchum deodarants for $3.00 with coupons and got mayo and mustard free with a 38% savings on total shop. She was laughing while the checkout lady said 'he is good at that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 AM

26 posts, read 32,552 times
Don't argue with a typical insular Yankee. They are like the Catholic Church was to Capericus and Gallileo. Typical vacation is to the Cape. Never been to Yosemite, Tetons, Yellowstone, Joshua Tree, Everglades or Europe.

Why go to Disney when e have Six Flags and Lake Componce?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krebman View Post
Don't argue with a typical insular Yankee. They are like the Catholic Church was to Capericus and Gallileo. Typical vacation is to the Cape. Never been to Yosemite, Tetons, Yellowstone, Joshua Tree, Everglades or Europe.

Why go to Disney when e have Six Flags and Lake Componce?
Where I live in CT, most people have never been to the "Cape". If people go on vacation, it's usually Caribbean, South Florida or out of the country. In fact, more people I come across in CT have been to Europe than the "Cape".

You're pretty clueless.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Where I live in CT, most people have never been to the "Cape". If people go on vacation, it's usually Caribbean, South Florida or out of the country. In fact, more people I come across in CT have been to Europe than the "Cape".

You're pretty clueless.
Pretty much spot on. I've never been to the Cape. Have no desire of dealing with Boston's finest and the congestion. I'll head to Maine or Northern New England.

Then again, Italy, Bermuda etc were always good options too.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 AM

337 posts, read 1,024,073 times
As an early-20's guy, CT is pretty mind-blowingly expensive when it comes to day-to-day expenses. I'm from Missouri, where basic food items like fruits, veggies, grains are around 30% cheaper. For the $575 I pay for a tiny one bedroom studio in Hartford here, I could have a huge 1-bedroom apartment with a doorman in a nice neighborhood of St. Louis. A movie here costs $10-11 at night and most theaters don't offer meaningful student discounts anymore, but in the Midwest it's still around $6 if you have a student ID.

I was up in Portland, ME a few weeks ago and the Whole Foods has cheaper groceries than Stop and Shop does here! And to top it off, salaries for my profession are higher in the Midwest than here.

CT is too damn expensive and I'm leaving once I get my degree. Seriously considering Canada due to their excellent, inexpensive public education and super-high salaries for my field which help balance out high taxes and COL. Plus their country is, you know, stable.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
CT is too damn expensive and I'm leaving once I get my degree.
You and all the other people your age. It's really too bad. Almost all of my friends have relocated and only a handful have moved back due to circumstances beyond their control. Some do miss CT, but wouldn't move back because of the COL. DC seems to be the hotspot with folks my age.

Stamford has a lot of mid-20s professionals working there, but a huge percentage of them live in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut