Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Dont believe it. It's changing as I'm typing this response. China graduates ~1 million engineers every year. They will, in the not to distant future, be in the lead.
Quantity does not equal quality. Look at where the top engineering schools in the world are--they are mostly in the US. China has HUGE problems with fraud and academic dishonesty. They also have well-recognized problems with developing entrepreneurship and critical thinking.

I always wonder why the whiners continue to whine instead of just leaving the state for Arizona or wherever they consider to be paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:33 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Quantity does not equal quality. Look at where the top engineering schools in the world are--they are mostly in the US. China has HUGE problems with fraud and academic dishonesty. They also have well-recognized problems with developing entrepreneurship and critical thinking.

I always wonder why the whiners continue to whine instead of just leaving the state for Arizona or wherever they consider to be paradise.
True enough, but where we have a project or program and can put, say 10 engineers on it, they put 200. I've seen it and experienced it in my current job. We are enabling it as well. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out in the end; just don't believe all the hype about the "dumb chinese"...they aren't all dummies.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
True enough, but where we have a project or program and can put, say 10 engineers on it, they put 200. I've seen it and experienced it in my current job. We are enabling it as well. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out in the end; just don't believe all the hype about the "dumb chinese"...they aren't all dummies.
That's very true. I'm Chinese as well, btw. But bioscience is one of the areas where the US still has a significant lead. China's not going to solve its systemic and cultural problems anytime soon. Would you be willing to be treated by a doctor with data from a Chinese clinical study, or an American one?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
I train a lot of foreign trained engineers in programming langauges and technologies. My experience is that the style of learning / teaching overseas (and I would say this goes for China and India) favors rote memorization over creativity and problem solving. Foreign software engineers can often emulate what I demonstrate with perfection, yielding the same result. However if I change the problem up-- even slightly-- they have difficulty adjusting their solution. American software engineers appear to often be just the opposite-- creative problem solvers, but have more difficulty with step by step procedure that must be memorized...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:12 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
I guess that's an ideological difference we have. I firmly believe that just because we are in the red doesn't mean we should stop investing, but that we should invest smarter. I think this is a smart investment, since we will most likely remain leaders in science for a long time. China and India have lots of money but not the culture or infrastructure for scientific innovation. Manufacturing is not a smart investment since the overall industry is fading in this country.
So we are pretty much bankrupt and the government should keep spending money? Where do you supposed that money will come from? Have seen our national debt? Should we just keep on borrowing?

It's coming to an end sooner than later. Government doesn't "invest" government spends other people's money.

There is nothing smart about a region depending on federal and state government dollars for industry. Nothing. It's a house of cards that will and is coming crashing down.

Maybe that's how it's done in China and the former Soviet Union, but not here. And I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be a disproportionate amount of Asian doctors working here so please don't give me the "dumb Asian" thing. Just look at UCONN's roster.

Quote:
Is that what you think this is, whining? Seriously? Do you not realize if anything how fickle federal funding can be?

I want long term stable sustainable growth for this region. Government propped up enterprise is not it.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
So we are pretty much bankrupt and the government should keep spending money? Where do you supposed that money will come from? Have seen our national debt? Should we just keep on borrowing?

It's coming to an end sooner than later. Government doesn't "invest" government spends other people's money.

There is nothing smart about a region depending on federal and state government dollars for industry. Nothing. It's a house of cards that will and is coming crashing down.

Maybe that's how it's done in China and the former Soviet Union, but not here. And I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be a disproportionate amount of Asian doctors working here so please don't give me the "dumb Asian" thing. Just look at UCONN's roster.

Is that what you think this is, whining? Seriously? Do you not realize if anything how fickle federal funding can be?

I want long term stable sustainable growth for this region. Government propped up enterprise is not it.
I don't think you understand how basic science is conducted. By necessity, the government must pull a lot of weight. A massive number of ideas need to be investigated before you can even begin to identify clinically (and commercially) promising ones. So whine all you like, but this is simply how scientific discoveries happen. Don't like it? Don't go to the hospital or doctor next time you get sick. Stop getting checkups. Stop getting vaccines. Stop taking your medications. The discoveries made with government research funds save, prolong, and enrich your life. The government educates the doctors and scientists who will take care of you. It establishes the food and drug safety regulations which keep you safe. It tracks flu and other epidemics and produces vaccines in a timely manner. It eradicated huge public health problems like polio and smallpox.

How many Nobel Prize-winning discoveries do you think were funded privately? Very few, I'd imagine. If you can find some statistics, I'm interested to know.

There are some things private industry just can't do, yet they must be done. Basic science research is one of those things. I'd be interested to hear what your magic private company is, that will do it all without government help.

Finally, you are misunderstanding our discussion about China and India. We are talking about their domestic science industries, not Chinese-American or Indian-American doctors/scientists.

Last edited by bomgd3; 09-30-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:30 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand how basic science is conducted. By necessity, the government must pull a lot of weight. A massive number of ideas need to be investigated before you can even begin to identify clinically (and commercially) promising ones. So shout all you like, but this is simply how scientific discoveries happen.

How many Nobel Prize-winning discoveries do you think were funded privately? Very few, I'd imagine. If you can find some statistics, I'm interested to know.

There are some things private industry just can't do, yet they must be done. Basic science research is one of those things. I'd be interested to hear what your magic private company is, that will do it all without government help.

Finally, you are misunderstanding our discussion about China and India. We are talking about their domestic science industries, not Chinese-American or Indian-American doctors/scientists.
63.7% of all our scientific research in the United States is privately funded. Just something to think about.

Funding of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you never answered my question about where we are supposed to get this money.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
63.7% of all our scientific research in the United States is privately funded. Just something to think about.

Funding of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you never answered my question about where we are supposed to get this money.
BASIC science is a very specific subset of science. It's the research that identifies and investigates at the very lowest level of biology. For example, companies are not going to invest in the mechanisms of potassium channel activation, so the government will do so in hopes of deriving a therapeutically useful product from it 50 years down the line. Pfizer may spend lots of money developing a drug targeting a promising protein, but the actual protein will generally be identified and characterized by publicly funded scientists at places like UConn.

The money's already there. The government should continue to invest strongly in science and spend less on war, welfare, and entitlements. And there is a lot of waste in the system that can be cut out, including in science.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
I guess that's an ideological difference we have. I firmly believe that just because we are in the red doesn't mean we should stop investing, but that we should invest smarter. I think this is a smart investment, since we will most likely remain leaders in science for a long time. China and India have lots of money but not the culture or infrastructure for scientific innovation. Manufacturing is not a smart investment since the overall industry is fading in this country.
I have gut feelings that >50% of lab grunts there (if it's built) will be of the Chinese or Indian nationality. Investments in genetics are not smart, it's scary on all levels but it promises "elites" control on the unheard of before levels. I just don't understand why plebeians are so excited about that, mark my word, sterilizing GMO burgers are on the way .

Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I have gut feelings that >50% of lab grunts there (if it's built) will be of the Chinese or Indian nationality. Investments in genetics are not smart, it's scary on all levels but it promises "elites" control on the unheard of before levels. I just don't understand why plebeians are so excited about that, mark my word, sterilizing GMO burgers are on the way .
Sorry to bring up the most obvious example, but what if you or your wife has the BRCA mutation? If prophylactic mastectomy saves her life, will you still think that investment in genetics is not smart? And again, we are talking about the United States science industry versus India and China's. I'm sure there will also be British nationals working there.

The mainstream media has you scared of science with their manufactured controversies. Take off that tinfoil hat and think for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut