Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 PM

879 posts, read 1,661,093 times

Advertisements

I have to second the opinion that CT is full of beautiful homes. One of the big reasons we decided to stay here instead of moving back to where I'm from in TX is the unique and character-filled homes.

BTW, I keep reading this thread title as "Selling my wife in CT"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 PM

294 posts, read 1,086,838 times
I have to agree the homes i have seen so far (via the web) are lovely, i'm moving from CA to CT next year and the cost of homes are a breath of fresh air for me, I can't wait to move.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
These are present in Connecticut, too.
We have McMansions but rarely are they on tiny lots. I am talking about 4,000 sqaure foot homes on 5,000 square foot lots. You can open your window and literally reach out and touch the house next door. Fortunately you do not see a lot of that here. Down south and out west, you see this all the time. I find that a bit strange since there is a lot more land out west and down south so you would think they would build on bigger lots, but they don't. Jay

Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times
I had guests here last evening from the Washington DC area
I met them here on City Data! We had wine and went to the Lotus restaurant in Vernon-They where anxious to meet me because of my help here in assisting them with information about Tolland county. Re housing, recreation, etc. They where very impressed with the area.

They told me they had to get out of the Washington DC area -it had become too hectic for them. They also brought up McMansions- and related to me 3 million dollar homes on postage stamp sized lots, where you could hear the toilet flushing next door- which is what has been built in Northern Virginia and Maryland- they where very surprised how friendly and down to earth people here treated them to the 'angry' and cold manner of the Washington area. And where shocked by the low price of housing.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-24-2007 at 05:01 AM..

Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I had guests here last evening from the Washington DC area
I met them here on City Data! We had wine and went to the Lotus restaurant in Vernon-They where anxious to meet me because of my help here in assisting them with information about Tolland county. Re housing, recreation, etc. They where very impressed with the area.

They told me they had to get out of the Washington DC area -it had become too hectic for them. They also brought up McMansions- and related to me 3 million dollar homes on postage stamp sized lots, where you could hear the toilet flushing next door- which is what has been built in Northern Virginia and Maryland- they where very surprised how friendly and down to earth people here treated them to the 'angry' and cold manner of the Washington area. And where shocked by the low price of housing.

Skytrekker - Isn't it great when you hear back from people who are grateful for your assistance? I have heard back from several people I have assisted and it really makes me feel like I have done something good. I haven't been around these boards nearly as much as you, so I haven't helped as many. I am glad to hear your hard work is appreciated too. You deserve it.

As for McMansions, I do think that one of the reasons they are not a big of a problem here is that we have very strict zoning which restricts house and lot sizes. This helps keep homes proportionate to the property they sit on and the neighborhood they are in. 50 feet between homes looks a lot better than 6 feet. And a 4,000 square foot home looks a lot more reasonable on a one acre lot than a 1/8 acre one. JMHO Jay

Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 AM

67 posts, read 227,869 times
Now now people, both CT and Georgia has it's advantages; CT with beutiful tree covered roads, fall foliage, great seafood, renowned educational standards, gorgeous homes, convienant to NY and Boston as well as the country and seashore. While Atlanta has heat, humidity, traffic, great southern cooking and traffic. And just for fun you can check out the following links on the smartest States, CT is ranked 3rd in the nation. Guess where GA is?

Smartest State 2006-2007

P.S. Just having fun here folks. We all know every State has its pros and cons. No death threats please!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:34 AM

Interesting list. I find it interesting that the top five states are in the northeast (four of which are in New England). Also I find it interesting that the northeast states are pretty much all in the top 20. Guess all those taxes we pay are doing some good. Jay

Old 08-24-2007, 09:40 AM

175 posts, read 671,759 times
Back on topic (with a side note)

Maestro, just bringing her to the area could be enough. It worked for me. I've been looking for a new place to call home for awhile now and with the help of this forum I'm focused on the Hartford area.

And what's not to love? It's beautiful. The surrounding communities are beautiful, each with individual identities but close enough to add up to an area where everything you could possibly want is close at hand - restaurants, shops, arts! Add to that two hours to New York or Boston, a short jump to the shore, the Berkshires, or Rhode Island. I'm swooning. Plus four seasons! Real seasons! And not ridiculously extreme seasons (I'm currently in southern Virginia).

For good measure my husband and I are planning to spend November and December in Hartford to get better acquainted, but as of now I have a hard time believing I'll change my mind.

As a side note - In my search I have spent the last several months trolling the forums for Connecticut, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Pennslyvania, and Delaware and I have to say that Connecticut is hands down the friendliest, most helpful, and proudest forum of the bunch. JayCT and Skytrekker are amongst those who have given multiple helpful suggestions and the major influence in dragging me to the Hartford area (a place I had never even considered). Thanks!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misueno View Post
As a side note - In my search I have spent the last several months trolling the forums for Connecticut, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Pennslyvania, and Delaware and I have to say that Connecticut is hands down the friendliest, most helpful, and proudest forum of the bunch. JayCT and Skytrekker are amongst those who have given multiple helpful suggestions and the major influence in dragging me to the Hartford area (a place I had never even considered). Thanks!
misueno - Thank you for the kind words and welcome to Connecticut. I am sure you will love it here as I do. By the way, you weren't trolling, just monitoring and that is okay, but you shouldn't be shy to ask questions. We are very happy to help. Let us know if you need anything else to help wiht your decision. Jay

PS - November and December are not the best months here in Connecticut. If you like here after being here those months you will absolutely love it the rest of the year.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:15 PM

48 posts, read 145,351 times
I'd try to sell her on the CT. River Valley. Not only because I live here, but it truly is a beautiful part of the state. I've been to Litchfield a few times, and still like this part of the state much much better.

And if you use RT.9 you can get to most of the small quaint towns.
Haddam, Chester, Essex and towards the shore. You can pick up RT. 1 - this goes parallel to the small shoreline towns.

Good luck and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut