Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

It's exciting to see such an early major snowstorm, but at the same time I'm seriously pissed. Sunday is the day that I'm supposed to see 5 houses with my real estate agent. I would prefer not to see a property covered in snow if I'm planning on buying it. Dammit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:14 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Last post regarding the models. They pretty much in line with same thing. Now we watch the development .

Winds from Euro - NAM - GFS at this hour39. Looks like the GFS has a stronger storm, NAM has a higher wind field, Euro East more. Take your pick.

This is the preip per hour for Sikorsky... NAM has rain for first 2 hours then all snow for 14 hours. 1.58" liquid. Very hard to believe this. I'm guessing this means rain for 2 hours then mix for another couple hours.

Anyway...

Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Warnings are coming out here and there... Trying to gather some info now... Here's Uptons latest.

"SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/... STILL ASSIMILATING LATEST NWP DATA WITH CONCERNS FOR MORE SNOW
WITH POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATION IN NY METRO. MORE DETAILS AT 4 PM."

Old 10-28-2011, 02:14 PM

NWS Winter Storm Warning:: Hartford, Tolland, Windham

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES OF WET SNOW WITH THE HIGHER
AMOUNTS EXPECTED IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY WET SNOW WILL RESULT IN TREE DAMAGE AND
SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES. THE DAMAGE COULD BE QUITE EXTENSIVE
WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR AN AREA OF WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES.
UNTREATED ROADWAYS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM

This is what I'm talking about...Take note Upton... If nothing happens then its called luck and saved but its always better to give a heads up.

From NWS Albany

"WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH THIS STORM. THERE COULD BE A MAJOR SOCIETAL IMPACT ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF THE FCST AREA. LEAVES ARE ON THE TREES IN THE VALLEYS /ESPECIALLY FROM THE CAPITAL DISTRICT SOUTH/...AND ACROSS SOME OF THE HILLS. 3 TO 6 INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW COULD BE VERY PERILOUS BRINGING DOWN NUMEROUS LIMBS AND POWER LINES. WE HAVE TRIED TO EMPHASIZE THIS IN THE WATCH STATEMENT ! POTENTIALLY...THERE COULD BE NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES. DESPITE NOT HITTING THE 7 INCH OR GREATER CRITERIA...WE FEEL THIS WATCH IS NECESSARY DUE TO THE POTENTIAL SOCIETAL IMPACT."

Old 10-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Winter Storm Warning For Litchfield out

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES FOR VALLEY AREAS OF THE GREATER
CAPITAL REGION...AND SCHOHARIE VALLEY. 6 TO 12 INCHES FOR THE
MID HUDSON VALLEY...CONNECTICUT VALLEY OF SOUTHERN VERMONT...AND
VALLEYS AREAS OF LITCHFIELD COUNTY CONNECTICUT. 6 TO 12 INCHES
ACROSS ELEVATIONS GREATER THAN 1000 FEET WITH LOCALLY UP TO 15
INCHES ACROSS THE EASTERN CATSKILLS...LITCHFIELD
HILLS...BERKSHIRES...AND SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS.

* TIMING...A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE SATURDAY MORNING
AND QUICKLY CHANGE TO SNOW BY AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL CONTINUE
HEAVY AT TIMES BEFORE TAPERING OFF BY LATE SATURDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY WET SNOW COULD BRING DOWN NUMEROUS LEAF COVERED
LIMBS...TREES AND POWER LINES. THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR
WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES FROM THE CAPITAL REGION SOUTHWARD...WITH LONG
DURATION POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE ACROSS THE MID HUDSON VALLEY AND
LITCHFIELD COUNTY CONNECTICUT. ROADS WILL BECOME TREACHEROUS FOR
TRAVEL BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS AT 10 TO 20 MPH...WITH GUSTS
OF 30-40 MPH POSSIBLE ACROSS THE MID HUDSON VALLEY AND
LITCHFIELD COUNTY CONNECTICUT.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 30S ON SATURDAY MORNING FALLING TO THE LOWER
30S BY AFTERNOON AND UPPER 20S BY SATURDAY EVENING.

* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO ONE HALF MILE OR LESS IN THE MODERATE
TO HEAVY SNOWFALL.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This is what I'm talking about...Take note Upton... If nothing happens then its called luck and saved but its always better to give a heads up.

From NWS Albany

"WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH THIS STORM. THERE COULD BE A MAJOR SOCIETAL IMPACT ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF THE FCST AREA. LEAVES ARE ON THE TREES IN THE VALLEYS /ESPECIALLY FROM THE CAPITAL DISTRICT SOUTH/...AND ACROSS SOME OF THE HILLS. 3 TO 6 INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW COULD BE VERY PERILOUS BRINGING DOWN NUMEROUS LIMBS AND POWER LINES. WE HAVE TRIED TO EMPHASIZE THIS IN THE WATCH STATEMENT ! POTENTIALLY...THERE COULD BE NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES. DESPITE NOT HITTING THE 7 INCH OR GREATER CRITERIA...WE FEEL THIS WATCH IS NECESSARY DUE TO THE POTENTIAL SOCIETAL IMPACT."
Having been up in Albany for the 10/4/87 storm I can tell you they are right on that one. Since I "drove into the storm" from downstate I can tell you that everything from Putnam County/Danbury area up to Albany (so I presume western Mass and Litchfield County as well) had power outages galore! I had electric heat so no heat in 30-deg weather and the food spoiled in my fridge as my apt. was out for 2 days.

Probably "OK" down here near the coast but I hope it doesn't come to pass for anyone......

Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Just checked weather underground, and tomorrow's forecast shows rain for FFC during the day, changing to snow at night with accumulations of up to 2 inches. Not sure why these forecasts vary so much.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:57 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
I did a little looking and measurable snow (even 0.1") at Bridgeport/Sikorsky would be more historic than I even thought.

The October 10, 1979 storm (which even produced 2" in Philly) did not produce measurable at Bridgeport (like Central Park, just a trace). Turns out the 1/2" on Oct. 4, 1987 was the ONLY time Bridgeport recorded measurable snow in October.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Welcome back Upton. Always baffles me...

1st image is a still.. Second image will refresh.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormTotalPrecip/StormTotalSnowFcst.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut