Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,228 times

Advertisements

^ Idk but our big hills look and appear like mountains to me... I'm the one that used to live in the rockys, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Stylo, I was thinking the same thing. If I recall correctly, already there have been 4 murders in Bridgeport in 20 days of 2012. New Haven will even have trouble keeping pace.

Like almost all states, there is a giant gap b/w suburban violent crime rates and urban rates in Ct. With just 1/7th the population of the state, its a safe bet the three cities will see more murders than the rest of Ct ..COMBINED. Again, its not unique in this way, but its reckless to not advise people to tread very carefully in any of the cities.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bridgeport is trying real hard to regain that murder capital of CT title again so far this year.
The murders always seem to come in spurts in Bridgeport. You'll see long stretches where there aren't any murders.

And, not to beat a dead horse......----The victims are very rarely just "innocent" people. Yes, i know all about the marches in the street for the teenager recently killed. My FIRST question when i heard about the murder was: "WTF was this kid doing out after midnight walking a dangerous street?" It's undeniably tragic that he was murdered. It's even more tragic that the parent(s) failed to recognize the very obvious danger of permitting him to attend that party and walk home. The next time they hold a rally in Bpt., hold one promoting IQ tests for prospective parents................

Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The murders always seem to come in spurts in Bridgeport. You'll see long stretches where there aren't any murders.

And, not to beat a dead horse......----The victims are very rarely just "innocent" people. Yes, i know all about the marches in the street for the teenager recently killed. My FIRST question when i heard about the murder was: "WTF was this kid doing out after midnight walking a dangerous street?" It's undeniably tragic that he was murdered. It's even more tragic that the parent(s) failed to recognize the very obvious danger of permitting him to attend that party and walk home. The next time they hold a rally in Bpt., hold one promoting IQ tests for prospective parents................
Lots of innocent people get murdered. Look at how many clerks have been shot to death in CT in the past year. The reason there aren't more innocent people being murdered is because most know better than to go into the ghetto at all.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Lots of innocent people get murdered. Look at how many clerks have been shot to death in CT in the past year. The reason there aren't more innocent people being murdered is because most know better than to go into the ghetto at all.
The majority of homicides in CT are drug/gang related. The clerks you mention are a small minority. There is definitely an irrational fear that suburbanites have going into even the nicer areas of our cities. As if upper middle class whites get murdered in droves by going to downtown New Haven, Bridgeport or Hartford.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The majority of homicides in CT are drug/gang related. The clerks you mention are a small minority. There is definitely an irrational fear that suburbanites have going into even the nicer areas of our cities. As if upper middle class whites get murdered in droves by going to downtown New Haven, Bridgeport or Hartford.
That's because they don't go there and they don't live there. You think upper middle class white people go for their evening walk in the north end of Hartford? They'd quickly become a victim. It's not an irrational fear. These are dangerous area's.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Most people also know better than to take a clerk position in a dangerous area, or on a late shift. IDK what the answer would be for those situations.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
That's because they don't go there and they don't live there. You think upper middle class white people go for their evening walk in the north end of Hartford? They'd quickly become a victim. It's not an irrational fear. These are dangerous area's.
Re-read my post...

Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Most people also know better than to take a clerk position in a dangerous area, or on a late shift. IDK what the answer would be for those situations.
Being a clerk is dangerous anywhere. Even in the suburbs of ct, almost every single gas station clerk has had a gun to his head if he's worked there for a few years. Mandatory bullet proof glass should be required for all gas stations.

It's Simply MORE dangerous in a ghetto.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:55 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Do you have a job promoting these cities or something because I don't think you're being completely honest. Bridgeport and Hartford are horrible cities that really offer nothing. The only nice walkable urban area I can think of would we be west Hartford, which is very safe and expensive. To the OP, the suburbs are perfectly safe. CT has a huge gap between the rich and the poor and it's reflected in the crime rate in towns/cities....ie Greenwich being one of the safest and richest towns in the U.S. and right near it is Bridgeport, which is a hell hole.
No I do not get p[aid to promote these cities. But they are not "horrible". Have you ever been to St. Mary's By the Sea in the Black Rock section of Bridgeport? It is stunning. Have you walked around Fairfield Avenue in Black Rock or the city's beautiful Seaside Park? Have you ever been to any of the great restaurants sprouting up downtown or caught a show at the Downtown Caberet? Have you ever been to Bridgeport's North End and any of the shops or restaurants along Main Street? They are not horrible or what anyone would call a hellhole.

Downtown Hartford has many great restaurants and some of the best live theater outside New York. Not everyone wants to live in an upscale suburban community like West Hartford or Fairfield. Your views are very suburban orieted. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut