Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

I was in East Hadden, CT today and I really loved the feel of it. Not familiar with the area but between talking to some locals and driving I think its a great spot for anyone who wants a New England feel and not a City/overpopulated feel.

I just posted 3 photos if your interested. Thread takes while to load because of all the photos..

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...l#post23273058
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 13,024 times
I think that Southington is the closest town in Central Connecticut that fits most of your criteria. It has a very nice downtown with a lot of restaurants and shops, schools are solid (don't know too much about them), and unlike many other Connecticut suburbs, it is not stifflingly affluent. I know it is a very popular community for families, and real estate is a bit more affordable.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourcycler View Post
My wife, soon to be daughter, and I are contemplating a move to the CT area (we are also open to the Hudson Valley, MA, VT, NH AREA). We are looking for the following in no particular order:

1. Good schools
2. A mix of blue and white collar - not a place for just the wealthy.
3. Beautiful walkable downtown with great shops, restaurants, cultural offerings
4. Family friendly with recreational opportunities for kids
5. More historical looking neighborhoods and town center as opposed to a modern cookie cutter town
6. Easy access to parks both in and a short drive from town
7. Great place to raise a family where many other 30 and 40-somethings with children live
8. Not a city. Has more of a quaint New England charm with big trees and green spaces.
9. Anywhere in New England within a 20 minute drive to hiking trails, mountains, or large hilly green spaces to enjoy nature.
10. More of a progressive, open minded community
11. Affordable - 4 bed / 2+ bath for under $500,000.

That's it! Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Perhaps North Adams, MA and Keene NH, and areas surrounding portsmouth NH. And consider some of the 'north shore towns' of MA, as well. Beverly, Newburyport, etc. Search the forum; lots of info. [These don't all fit your list to a tee, but are just some ideas, to give you more of an idea of the areas.]

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I was in East Hadden, CT today and I really loved the feel of it. Not familiar with the area but between talking to some locals and driving I think its a great spot for anyone who wants a New England feel and not a City/overpopulated feel.

I just posted 3 photos if your interested. Thread takes while to load because of all the photos..

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...l#post23273058
East haddam is beautiful but it is not realy convenient to much shopping. The nearest major supermarket is in Colchester and that can be a long trip from parts of town. Your ice cream could easily melt before you get home on a warm day (this is a guide that supermarkets use when looking for store locations). Jay

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
East haddam is beautiful but it is not realy convenient to much shopping. The nearest major supermarket is in Colchester and that can be a long trip from parts of town. Your ice cream could easily melt before you get home on a warm day (this is a guide that supermarkets use when looking for store locations). Jay
Thats partly why I did like it. No big box stores nearby. I dont know about anyone else but out of the million choices on the shelves I only pick like 30-40 of those items. I prefer sticking with local markets. We're spoiled as a society, and if, or when, all those choices goes away, many people wont know how to cope.
One thing I would need is more cell towers up there. LOL

This is the other reason why I loved it. View from Deck of house I was at.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I hate shopping at big box stores. Avoid it all I can. I probably go to Lowes the most, followed by Target. That's about it. Target trips are rare.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I hate shopping at big box stores. Avoid it all I can. I probably go to Lowes the most, followed by Target. That's about it. Target trips are rare.
Same. The only "big box" I go to is Lowes or Home Depot because every homeowner ends up there at some point.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times
New London or maybe Mystic, although Mystic is tourist trap hell in the Summer. You will get your fill of historical buildings,however. The shoreline towns mentioned definately, although I would not say they have a mix of blue collar and white collar. They are basically Yuppie white collar towns. For the demographic mix you seek you would be better off further up the coast in New London area. This area has historical buildings, heck, you could purchase a home built 100-200 years ago there. Norwich is another possibility. It is an overlooked city, although the downtown is not much to be excited about.

Last edited by katnip kid; 03-06-2012 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: add clarify

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
New London or maybe Mystic, although Mystic is tourist trap hell in the Summer. You will get your fill of historical buildings,however. The shoreline towns mentioned definately, although I would not say they have a mix of blue collar and white collar. They are basically Yuppie white collar towns. For the demographic mix you seek you would be better off further up the coast in New London area. This area has historical buildings, heck, you could purchase a home built 100-200 years ago there. Norwich is another possibility. It is an overlooked city, although the downtown is not much to be excited about.
I wouldn't call Branford and Milford yuppie white collar towns, would you?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I wouldn't call Branford and Milford yuppie white collar towns, would you?
Not even close. Branford and Milford are both solid middle class towns. There are some massive waterfront estates in both towns, and some trailer parks in both towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut