Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachto4 View Post
Our family loves the beardsley zoo. We've had family membership for the past 3 years and go all the time. I know, it's not the Bronx Zoo, but it's worth the trip for a nice outing with the family for a few hours. It's the perfect size for our kids and we love the carousel, prarie dogs, tigers, and wet-land exhibit. Give it a break...they are doing the best they can.
I agree. I really do not know what the OP expects. I agree it is not the Bronx Zoo but nor should anyone expect it to be. It is a small zoo designed to be easy to get around with families. It is not expensive and it is easily accessable which is something you cannot say about the Bronx Zoo. I think people in Connecticut should be grateful to have it as an option otherwise you would have no choices. I am not saying it is perfect and could not be better but it is not that bad either. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,119 times
I'm here to address the "animal abuse" aspect that was charged. Yes, there has been been animal abuse going on at Beardsley. I volunteered at the zoo as a child and used to be a member. The zoo is mismanaged. The bear that used to be at the zoo was pacing constantly. This is a severe response to lack of stimulation in a small, confined space and he did not do this when he had a mate. Most zoos put pacing animals in larger enclosures with other animals & objects to treat the behavior. If the zoo cannot do that, they ship the animals to other zoos that are better able to take care of them. Beardsley did not do either of these things. I wrote to the zoo because I saw it happening all of the time when I was a member; they did nothing for YEARS about the issue. Every time I would visit the bear would still be pacing. Only recently the bear was removed or died.

About a year ago I heard through the grapevine about some of the inner workings in the zoo and will not be happy until management has changed. (Not being held for libel so I'm not giving any names.) Many of the slower, calmer animals are being taken care of fine at Beardsley but the zoo does not have appropriate enclosures and stimulation for animals that need it. As much as I loved the zoo as a child, I cannot in good conscience go back as an adult.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post

About a year ago I heard through the grapevine about some of the inner workings in the zoo and will not be happy until management has changed. (Not being held for libel so I'm not giving any names.)
Huh? Greg Dancho has been the zoo director for quite some time. It isn't exactly a secret.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Huh? Greg Dancho has been the zoo director for quite some time. It isn't exactly a secret.
I said nothing about Greg.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM

352 posts, read 780,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Many of the slower, calmer animals are being taken care of fine at Beardsley but the zoo does not have appropriate enclosures and stimulation for animals that need it.
Do you know what type of enclosure the tiger is in?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
Do you know what type of enclosure the tiger is in?
The tigers are kept in a concrete area surrounded by 2 fences. There is a pool area in the cement but the last time I was there it didn't have water in it. (I was not there in the summer so it may have been added to account for the heat.) At night they go through tiny doors into a building to sleep. The tigers don't appear abused since they have each other around to entertain themselves. They also appear well fed.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
I have seen the bear pacing, it's depressing to watch. Actually, weren't there two bears? I haven't been there in a year, but I seem to remember there being two. I think the bear exhibit is probably one of the worst, as far as stimulating animals.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,425,999 times
I went there about 2 yrs ago--and although I did not think the zoo was as awful as this, it still left a LOT to be desired. There needs to be a ton of work and animal habitats really reconfigured. The bear--and I recall the tigers too--were in a tiny confinement--really feel awful for them....

They have a lot of work to do on that zoo and need to get on it. Can't the state allocate some money for infrastructure ... you'd think so.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,596 times
I'm pretty much against zoos as entertainment. Sometimes protected habitats do good work for endangered species, when it's part of a concerted breeding effort, but just having exotic animals around that people pay to see? No thanks. I agree there is some educational value and 'wow factor', but that is not enough to justify the conditions and confinement these animals are subjected to. You can learn way more just researching the animals and watching film of them in the wild. Is it as 'cool' or good for children? No.. but that's not a concern of mine.

(let the 'liberal' insults fly)

That said, it is definitely depressing to go into such establishments that are poorly managed and maintained. Quassy in Middlebury is an amusement park that I remember having a period where it was absolutely embarrassingly disgusting - rusty, broken, dirty, depressed staff, etc. No pride at all. I'm not sure if it's been rehabed at all, but I agree the state of these things is sometimes very unfortunate. The 'free market' response to all this is just, let it close down if it's not making enough money.. and if people still go despite it being disgusting, so be it. etc. etc. That makes sense from an ideological standpoint, but it's the communities that have to live with these depressing eyesores - it's not JUST private business.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 PM

37 posts, read 231,791 times
I took my Girl Scout troop of (10 and 11 year olds) there back in May and they LOVED it! Yes, it's not the Bronx Zoo or any other bigger zoo I've visited in my lifetime. But it's the perfect size, centrally located within the state and you can see everything within a few hours. Plus you are supporting the local economy by going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut