Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM

163 posts, read 374,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfordlol View Post
I've noticed more meth head truck drivers lately changing lanes and pushing people into the shoulders honestly.

Maybe he or she spilled his coffee?. Texting is good too. Ct entitlement drivers that mess with Truckers usually end up splattered anyways. The Law of physics take the trophy everytiime.
Pay attention or pay the price.

TRUCKING with JIM. Rt. 91 Meriden,Ct Accident 6/27/12. Text messaging, speeding...??? - YouTube

And a reply to a Wise ass Ct moron:

TRUCKING with JIM. RT91 ACCIDENT RESPONSE. Truck driver on the road experiences. Trucker issues. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 AM

214 posts, read 290,146 times
I like CT drivers because they're the kind of people who are not afraid to go after what they want. Same goes for CT people in general...they go for what they want in life without waiting around for others' approval.

They're not like the awful drivers from other states who go EXACTLY the speed limit, ALL THE TIME. For NO REASON other than that "it's what you're supposed to do."

Last edited by Off-beat; 10-23-2012 at 01:40 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
And you are doing 80-85 Mph? When is too fast too fast?
Once upon a time, there was no established maximum speed on the interstates in Connecticut. The law was, you were expected to travel at a speed appropriate for traffic flow, taking into consideration weather and driving conditions. In other words, people were expected to use common sense. Now granted, this was during the Paleolithic era, in the days before cell phones and ipads, and music was in mono, heard on AM radio.

Then came "The Great Gas Shortage," which resulted in an imposed 55MPH speed limit max on all highways throughout most of the country.

Now, that imposed max limit no longer exists, and is imposed or not by individual states, on individual stretches of highway.

Regardless of the history, one thing has always been constant:

If there are more than two lanes in one direction, and you are -not- either

1. passing someone
2. attempting to pass someone
3. exiting to a left-lane exit
4. travelling lawfully in a commuters' lane, which is typically a left lane and specially marked

then you do NOT belong in the left lane, period. At all. No matter how fast or slow you're going.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

1. passing someone
4. travelling lawfully in a commuters' lane, which is typically a left lane and specially marked

then you do NOT belong in the left lane, period. At all. No matter how fast or slow you're going.
+1

Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Agreed, AnonChick.

I wouldn't call myself an aggressive driver, but rather an assertive one. You can't waffle around when you are entering the Merritt from exit 40 and have a stop sign and then a highway going 70, for instance.

I thought I was going to die the other day getting on the Merritt behind a student driver who decided to get on going 35. Effing A, man.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Once upon a time, there was no established maximum speed on the interstates in Connecticut. The law was, you were expected to travel at a speed appropriate for traffic flow, taking into consideration weather and driving conditions. In other words, people were expected to use common sense. Now granted, this was during the Paleolithic era, in the days before cell phones and ipads, and music was in mono, heard on AM radio.

Then came "The Great Gas Shortage," which resulted in an imposed 55MPH speed limit max on all highways throughout most of the country.

Now, that imposed max limit no longer exists, and is imposed or not by individual states, on individual stretches of highway.

1. passing someone

There were speed limits before the gas crisis of the 1970's, it was just that the states had more control at what they should be. They usually were based on sound engineering judgement like the speed that the road was designed for and accident history.

When Jimmy Carter imposed the limit nationally, it was the stupidest thing I had ever heard. Expecting people driving on rural interstate highways to drive at 55 was really dumb so what you had were hundreds of thousands of normally law-biding people basically breaking the law everyday. not a good law IMHO. I think that is one of the reasons why I became a Republican. Jay

Old 10-23-2012, 04:39 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I thought I was going to die the other day getting on the Merritt behind a student driver who decided to get on going 35. Effing A, man.
I know that they need to bring the students into "real world" driving situations, but in the last couple of years i've often been asking myself what gumball machine these driving instructor's got their licenses from. Some of them are putting students into situations(i.e.: Friday-Summer-P.M. Commute) that they absolutely should not be subjected to so early.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM

519 posts, read 744,237 times
Quote:

1. passing someone

I see you try to spin it trying to assume I'm one of those people who hogs the left lane.. If no then sorry to accuse you, but anyways, IMHO the best drive I ever had (not CT OMG!) was driving I-95 in MD the drivers were so on point it was crazy I was in the 3rd lane and I was doing maybe 70-75 and each can I came up to all moved over.. I think it was around 10 or so cars before I finally changed lanes to get off the highway to get a bite to eat.

My point is at least they know when to move over.. I took the Merritt home on Saturday and I got behind someone that was doing 60 in the 2nd lane.. I hardly ever use my hi beams to flash someone because I think its rude, so I flashed this person twice.. still did not move, so I pass him on the right because he was just hogging traffic and they had the nerve to flash me

Another thing is Why don't some of these troopers catch these people doing 80+ trying to get people to move over? Most people who drive in lower FFC know where they always hang out at..

lets see if I can name the few where I drive..

95 NB

1. CT weigh station parked near the truck exit
2. Top of the hill near exit 5 ramp
3. Ramp near the Stamford, Darien line
4. Rt 7 connector top of hill
5. Exit 13 in Norwalk backed up behind bushes facing both on-ramp and traffic

95 SB

1. Exit 3 on the on ramp facing traffic
2. Exit 12 facing traffic
3. Parked along side between exits 11 & 12
4. SB rest stop entrance or exit facing traffic

Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM

275 posts, read 419,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandah View Post
Come out with it. Who does it? I mean, im an aggressive driver, but you HAVE to be, or else you will get eaten up on the highways in this area. Honestly, if your not (in my view) you are more prone to an accident. Many times have I seen out of staters either get in an accident or almost get in an accident because they either were going to slow, did not know when to make there move when merging lanes, or being tailgated. NO ONE lets you merge into a lane, they just speed up. And tailgating is a silent message to speed the hell up! Who agrees? Disagrees?

BTW, I feel I should introduce myself, my name is Johann, im 26 and live in Stamford. Im interested in this forum because I think CT is awesome and love to hear other peoples views and attitudes on it. And also for the news.

they r not just aggressive, they r dangerous drivers in CT.
They go way over the speed limit, ride your bumper going 65 mph, or even
back roads, & the cops in Connecticut won't do nothing about this super
dangerous situation & all these drivers breaking state laws either!
Why not???

Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM

214 posts, read 290,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
they r not just aggressive, they r dangerous drivers in CT.
They go way over the speed limit, ride your bumper going 65 mph, or even
back roads, & the cops in Connecticut won't do nothing about this super
dangerous situation & all these drivers breaking state laws either!
Why not???
Because we're awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut