Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 19,107 times

Advertisements

The ONE thing that drives me craaaaazy and brings out the aggresion is me is the:

Driver in the passing lane.....not passing anyone.

My mother in law does this. She says, no matter how many times you tell her it makes no difference, that if she is going the speed limit, no one should have a problem with it, and if they do...they are the ones at fault........Arrrrrrrgh!!!

I really think this is the main reason for much of the aggressive driving we see. I noticed that someone mentioned this before in a previous post, and stated that you SHOULDN'T be driving in the left lane, ever, IF there are more than two lanes.......Are they saying that you CAN drive in the passing lane IF there is only two lanes?? That makes no sense....but is it true??

To me, the passing lane is for passing, period. And its AMAZING how many times the person who is TRAVELING in the passing lane is the SLOWEST on the highway, causing people to pass on the right.....and simply screwing up the flow of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabagool View Post
To me, the passing lane is for passing, period. And its AMAZING how many times the person who is TRAVELING in the passing lane is the SLOWEST on the highway, causing people to pass on the right.....and simply screwing up the flow of traffic.
And creating a very dangerous situation for everyone on the road. Tell your MIL that her action leads to accidents.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:54 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
I dont know what the passing lane is. If you mean the fast lane then people should be able to drive there. There is too much traffic just fo 2 lanes. They need to increase the speed limit. 55-65 is too slow.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:22 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I dont know what the passing lane is. If you mean the fast lane then people should be able to drive there. There is too much traffic just fo 2 lanes. They need to increase the speed limit. 55-65 is too slow.
People are able to drive there - as long as they are passing. It's the law to keep right, pass left.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

The passing lane is for PASSING. If your going 60 MPH on a leisurely drive in the passing lane move over. if your going 60 MPH in the passing lane to pass someone that's ok, but when the opportunity presents itself, move over. Nothing is more frusterating then sitting behind a Sunday driver on the Merritt going 55 MPH.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Regarding a 2-lane road:

The right lane on a multi-lane road is called the "local" lane. It is primarily for:
1) slow drivers
2) people turning ONTO the road
3) people getting OFF of the road (as in, exiting)

The middle lane is called the "travel" lane, or the "pass-through" lane. It is primarily for:
1) people who are neither getting on, or off the road any time soon, nor are they driving especially slowly, who are trying to keep up with the relative speed of traffic.

The left lane is called the "passing" lane, or the "fast" lane. It is primarily for:
1) People who need or want to pass the people on the right
2) Emergency vehicles needing to get through
3) People exiting/entering the road from a left-lane exit/entrance ramp

When there are only two lanes, the passing lane and the travel lane are merged, and the right lane remains the same. There is no change: if you want to drive slow, get over to the right. If you want to pass people, get over to the left. If someone behind you wants to pass you, move over to the right and let them pass. If everyone behind you is trying to pass you, get over to the right, and STAY there.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 PM

275 posts, read 419,505 times
Default People do the opposite in this state though, pass on the Right and ride someone's bumper in the Right Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
People are able to drive there - as long as they are passing. It's the law to keep right, pass left.
This is such a dangerous situation. I think the Police needs to start hanging out on the freeways & highways and back roads even..
Too many people riding other driver's bumpers, even when they are going the speed limit and then the dangerous driver insists on passing someone on the RIGHT HAND SIDE!

Wow! Talk about an accident waiting to happen!

People are WAY too impatient are far as driving goes in the state of Connecticut in MANY sections...

Which area of Connecticut do you feel is the least dangerous for driving?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM

275 posts, read 419,505 times
Default You got that right.. CT is crazy land, USA LateNiteCruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
Ct is a satillite of Mars.
These drivers are insane.. Sometimes we think about making out our will, before we take off in our car in this state!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:47 PM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
This is such a dangerous situation. I think the Police needs to start hanging out on the freeways & highways and back roads even..
Too many people riding other driver's bumpers, even when they are going the speed limit and then the dangerous driver insists on passing someone on the RIGHT HAND SIDE!

People are WAY too impatient are far as driving goes in the state of Connecticut in MANY sections...

I agree with this post.. about 3-4 years ago I was headed up to Norwalk just passing Stamford and this guy I guess got pissed at the driver in the first lane he drove around her on the breakdown lane to pass her..

I still say he was on drugs but whatever..

I had a guy cut really close in front of me last night I was in the middle lane and he got from behind me and passed me on the right then cut in front of me really close then darted over to the 3rd lane and another car had just cut in front of him so he had to brake.

I let out a nice YES! in the car

Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 19,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post

Am I getting you right? Are u saying that u can't understand why driving the speed limit in a passing lane will create the situation where someone is up on your butt and ends up passing you on the right? Sorry, you're at fault. Going the speed limit in the left hand lane is going too slow. It's a passing lane. If you get passed on your right either you or some one in front of you are riding in the lane when you should be pulling over to the right. If the guy can PASS you on the right, you can drive on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut