Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 PM

814 posts, read 580,761 times

Advertisements

I just read the NYTimes article about heating costs in all of New England this winter. Bills may go up as much as 110 percent. We lived in CT for many years prior to moving out west. We used home heating oil but supplemented that with a wood stove. Wood stoves are the way to go. I don't know much about pellet stoves but hear they are also very good. You still have to maintain a certain temperature so the pipes don't freeze but the wood stove gave us that extra warmth. Down comforters on the beds will keep you toasty at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 04:56 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
I just read the NYTimes article about heating costs in all of New England this winter. Bills may go up as much as 110 percent. We lived in CT for many years prior to moving out west. We used home heating oil but supplemented that with a wood stove. Wood stoves are the way to go. I don't know much about pellet stoves but hear they are also very good. You still have to maintain a certain temperature so the pipes don't freeze but the wood stove gave us that extra warmth. Down comforters on the beds will keep you toasty at night.
Our heating cost is going to be down quite a bit of the low oil prices hold out - we're paying close to $1.00 less per gallon compared to last year so far. (Advanced Heating Oil out of Salem was $2.51 on Friday, and we were usually around $3.50 or a bit higher last winter)

Old 12-15-2014, 05:12 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Oil has dropped 40% since the summer and nat gas is also down substantially. And there is no end in sight to sliding prices. No way heating bills are up this year, let alone 110%. Did the author of the article explain how they reached this conclusion?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:59 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,311 times
Default Yearly Cost to use Oil to heat a 2700 sq ft house

We have a 275 gallon tank and a newer hot water type furnace with radiators. We do have three zones.
The one where the master suite is over the two car garage is off unless it gets really cold. When it gets really cold I will heat that somewhat so the pipes do not freeze. First I will answer your first question; I usually burn about 1,000 gallons of oil from November 1st through mid April. I keep the house at 68 degrees during the week and maybe 70 degrees on the weekend; and the kids complain but I tell them it isn't Florida and to put on a sweater or sweatshirt. I recently discovered Cash for Oil CT and am loving it! I am about to order oil and I am going to pay about $2.40 a gallon WOW! In the really well thought out old houses they put the fireplace and the chimney in the center of the house and this did help keep the house warm. Fact is having wood fires is part of enjoying the winter life in New England and other parts of the country where there are seasons. It is romantic, it is fun and inviting for guests, it is charming and just fun to get the wood in and all that stuff around it. Is it actually fuel efficient as well if it prevents you from having to turn on the furnace that night and you enjoyed it with the family. Then there is nothing like a nice fire! You do have to know NOT to ever burn pine in afireplace as it will spit embers due to the sap in the wood exploding and spitting fiery embers out of the fireplace and you can burn your house down. Burn only hardwoods and make sure you have your chimney cleaned by a referred cleaner do not get anyone that solicits you they are criminals looking to take advantage. Also make sure that you have an adequate chain fence in front of the fire so if you need to leave the room you can safely close the screen around the fireplace. The ones with the chain curtain and then the glass doors that you can close with the air vents that you can open/close at the top and bottom are the best because when there are still embers and active fire going you can close all that up and safely go to bed and not worry.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
We have a 275 gallon tank and a newer hot water type furnace with radiators. We do have three zones.
The one where the master suite is over the two car garage is off unless it gets really cold. When it gets really cold I will heat that somewhat so the pipes do not freeze. First I will answer your first question; I usually burn about 1,000 gallons of oil from November 1st through mid April. I keep the house at 68 degrees during the week and maybe 70 degrees on the weekend; and the kids complain but I tell them it isn't Florida and to put on a sweater or sweatshirt. I recently discovered Cash for Oil CT and am loving it! I am about to order oil and I am going to pay about $2.40 a gallon WOW! In the really well thought out old houses they put the fireplace and the chimney in the center of the house and this did help keep the house warm. Fact is having wood fires is part of enjoying the winter life in New England and other parts of the country where there are seasons. It is romantic, it is fun and inviting for guests, it is charming and just fun to get the wood in and all that stuff around it. Is it actually fuel efficient as well if it prevents you from having to turn on the furnace that night and you enjoyed it with the family. Then there is nothing like a nice fire! You do have to know NOT to ever burn pine in afireplace as it will spit embers due to the sap in the wood exploding and spitting fiery embers out of the fireplace and you can burn your house down. Burn only hardwoods and make sure you have your chimney cleaned by a referred cleaner do not get anyone that solicits you they are criminals looking to take advantage. Also make sure that you have an adequate chain fence in front of the fire so if you need to leave the room you can safely close the screen around the fireplace. The ones with the chain curtain and then the glass doors that you can close with the air vents that you can open/close at the top and bottom are the best because when there are still embers and active fire going you can close all that up and safely go to bed and not worry.
Open fireplaces are not efficient. They essentially suck the warm air out of the house and send it up the chimney. They are nice for ambience, but that's it. If you want to heat your home with a fireplace, you need to install an insert or stove.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
How much to heat 3000 sq ft house with nat. gas in Norwich, CT...might be converting. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:20 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaswannabeuser View Post
How much to heat 3000 sq ft house with nat. gas in Norwich, CT...might be converting. Thanks.
I can't answer your question but natural gas is definitely the most cost-effective way to heat your home today and it looks like that will be true well into the future. Note that there are a lot of variables in answering your question like the age and energy efficiency of the house. You may not save a lot of money but it should definitely be worth converting in the long run. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut