Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 PM

140 posts, read 259,257 times

Advertisements

Back in September we made a move here to Connecticut after having a long thought on if we should stay in Arizona, or move closer to some family in Connecticut. We made the move to Milford, CT and now it has been almost 6 months since we arrived.

Since we faced Hurricane Sandy, February Winter Storm, & the recent March Winter Storm and we still love our life here in Connecticut (even after these storms), I can safely say Connecticut will be our home for many years to come.

Milford, Connecticut is one great town, and really has the New England costal town charm we were looking for (I know some here will probably disagree with that statement). The people in Connecticut are very friendly. The towns that I've seen so far have been really nice (Milford, Orange, Guilford, Branford, Hamden, Madison, Clinton, Old Saybrook, Fairfield).

The other thing I've loved about Milford is how much shopping and restaurants there are. I love how I can be in Woodmont and feel like I'm in a very quaint New England town, but drive 10 minutes to all the stores that I shop at (Target, Walmart, Barnes & Noble, Stop & Shop, Whole Foods Market, Dick's Sporting Goods, Kohl's in Orange, the movie theater/mall). I love Milford's downtown with all of its shops, restaurants, the green, the harbor, duck ponds, waterfalls, the church. Milford also has very nice beaches (I really love Gulf Beach and Woodmont Beach the best).

My favorite restaurants in Milford include River Street, Bistro Basque, Bridgeport Flyer Diner, Lasse's, Sloppy Jose's, Friendly's, Pop's Family Restaurant, Mr. Mac's Canteen, Kimberly Diner, and Seven Seas. I also love the events Milford has to offer (way more that the suburb of Phoenix I lived in, we'd have to go to the other side of town to go to fun events in Arizona). Milford's fun events that we've been too and liked are: St. Patrick's Day Parade, Wine Trail, Lamplight Stroll, Tree Lighting/Festival of Lights event, and we went to Pumpkins on the Pier 2 with my neighbors and their little kids.

The only negative I give on my life in Connecticut is the terrible drivers (and of course the bad weather we've had recently, but I can tolerate that weather for all of the scenery/beauty Connecticut has to offer).

I would like to thank everyone in Connecticut for making it a great place to live. I look forward to the spring and summer so we can explore more areas of Connecticut and enjoy the great beauty Connecticut has to offer. I also look forward to buying a house here in Milford sometime in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Glad you like CT. It's a nice contrast to hear against the grass-is-greener negative posts.

You will love the Spring/Summer in Milford. It's a great time.

I think many underestimate its charm as they've never lived here and sometimes have a bad taste in their mouth from the mall and route 1 traffic. Rightly so, but that is only one small part of town. Other than some less-than-great neighborhoods here and there (parts of Devon), it's a great town. The best I've lived in within CT, although I've only lived in northern FFC towns.

Have you tried Joey C's, Bobette's, Beach House, Jimmy's Apizza, Rainbow Gardens, Nello's, Lao Sze Chuan, Momo Sushi, Scratch Baking, Walnut Beach Creamery, Milford Pizza and Mexican (for authentic Mexican), Olive Tree, Bridge House, Dive Bar, or Seabreeze Pizza? Just some of my favorites.

You should also explore towns like Madison, Essex, Chester, Old Saybrook, Mystic, Litchfield, Kent, etc when it's warmer out. They make beautiful day trips.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
I'm glad you both are still happy after 6 months and hope your happiness grows with every year you stay in Connecticut.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,285 times
I relocated to CT from Seattle last August and while I don't harbor any ill feelings toward anyone here, Connecticut has just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm finding it hard to find anyone that I relate to. Most people I have met are just content to go shopping, play golf, and watch TV here. And if I'm trying to find somewhere to eat after 9pm, forget it. What am I missing? I just want to give this place a chance and be happy here but I just can't get used to it. Oh p.s. where is the good coffee hiding?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:28 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Chelski - what city are you in?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelski19 View Post
. Oh p.s. where is the good coffee hiding?
Jojo's Coffee - 22 Pratt Street / Hartford, CT (downtown)

Tisane - 530 Farmington Ave / Hartford

La Palmoa Sabanera - 405 Capitol Ave / Hartford

Hartford Baking Co. / 625 New Park Ave / Elmwood, CT

J. Rene Coffee Roasters - 320 Park Rd / W. Hartford

Cafe Sofia - 984 Farmington Ave / W. Hartford

Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Six months already!

Don't worry too much about the weather, the good part of the year is going to start a few weeks from now (unless the good part for you is the summer weather.)

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-10-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelski19 View Post
I relocated to CT from Seattle last August and while I don't harbor any ill feelings toward anyone here, Connecticut has just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm finding it hard to find anyone that I relate to. Most people I have met are just content to go shopping, play golf, and watch TV here. And if I'm trying to find somewhere to eat after 9pm, forget it. What am I missing? I just want to give this place a chance and be happy here but I just can't get used to it. Oh p.s. where is the good coffee hiding?
Sounds like you're in the wrong part of the state?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Jojo's Coffee - 22 Pratt Street / Hartford, CT (downtown)

Tisane - 530 Farmington Ave / Hartford

La Palmoa Sabanera - 405 Capitol Ave / Hartford

Hartford Baking Co. / 625 New Park Ave / Elmwood, CT

J. Rene Coffee Roasters - 320 Park Rd / W. Hartford

Cafe Sofia - 984 Farmington Ave / W. Hartford
And that's nothing, there's 30+ independent coffee shops in New Haven alone, including another JoJo's. Blue State, Koffee?, and Greenwell have (IMO) some of the best coffee in the state.

Just about every shoreline town seems to have at least one (besides Starbucks).

Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
And that's nothing, there's 30+ independent coffee shops in New Haven alone. (including one of the JoJo's locations)

Just about every shoreline town seems to have at least one (besides Starbucks).
Yeah, I know. I just rattled off the ones I know of that are close to me. New Haven must have a ton - downtown seems to have everything. Much as I like Starbucks, it can't provide what the local ones can as far as ambience (and in many cases, quality.) Up here at J. Rene's, they have Hart School students from the jazz school perform most Fridays - I'm sure there's a few places down in NH that do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut