Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 AM

444 posts, read 820,454 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been here a whole 3 weeks , and I'm noticing that rent is either REALLY high for OK/Nice places, and REALLY low for NASTY places. But the middle ground does not exist. I think that some of the EXPENSIVE/OVERPRICED places cost too much because this is not BOSTON or Silicon Valley, but I get taxes are high. My question is are the EXPENSIVE/OVERPRICED places supposed to be haggled down? Or do the landlords really want that much?

Is rent negotiable here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Generally speaking, apartment complexes/buildings do not negotiate. Private owners(SFH/Condo/Multi-Families) may be willing to negotiate.

You won't find "the middle ground" in these towns. You're either going to find good and pricey, or cheapo, get your foot in the door for the town's amenities apartments.

If you want middle ground, you'll have to expand out to more average communities, like Manchester.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM

163 posts, read 240,636 times
Have you checked the Yankee Flyer?

The Yankee Flyer® Home-Page

Lakeview Apartments in Farmington is good place to start out. It may not look like much, but it's actually a very nice, safe, friendly apartment complex at a decent price.

http://www.apartments.com/Connecticu...rtments/502850

Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
private owners will negotiate. If you have good credit, and can put down right away the maximum deposit allowed by CT law, which is two months' rent, along with first month's rent, you can probably get them to bring down the price by five to ten percent. Also, if you are willing to sign a longer lease, such as a two year lease, you could probably get the price down a little more, since they know they won't run the risk of it sitting vacant for a month, or having to paint. If someone came to me offering to sign for two years, with the full deposit and first month's rent ready, and the references from prior landlord checked out, I'd give them a discount on the rent. But if you don't have all that, I would not discount at all.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
The three towns you mention are among the most desirable in greater Hartford so of course they are pricey. You may not think they are worth it but thousands of people do, that is why the owners can ask the prices they do. It is simply the law of supply and demand which our economy is based upon. I would suggest you either consider other towns that are in your price range or increase the amount you pay or look at more modest homes. Jay

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 PM

444 posts, read 820,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
private owners will negotiate. If you have good credit, and can put down right away the maximum deposit allowed by CT law, which is two months' rent, along with first month's rent, you can probably get them to bring down the price by five to ten percent. Also, if you are willing to sign a longer lease, such as a two year lease, you could probably get the price down a little more, since they know they won't run the risk of it sitting vacant for a month, or having to paint. If someone came to me offering to sign for two years, with the full deposit and first month's rent ready, and the references from prior landlord checked out, I'd give them a discount on the rent. But if you don't have all that, I would not discount at all.
On, say, $1650, you would drop rent to ~$1485 for someone with a good rental background, 2x rent deposit, 1+ months rent in hand, and a >750 credit score?

I'm just wondering if the higher rentals are even worth looking at? And, outside of location, I don't think they are worth all that much. I know Farmington seems to be like this amazing place to locals, but should rent really match that of Boston burbs or Silicon Valley? Is there something I'm missing? Something locals are really into?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
In my personal experience, you may sometimes be able to negotiate $50 cheaper but never really more then that. That is a high demand area and if you aren't willing to pay full price....someone else IS! I would suggest expanding your search into other surrounding towns which may have cheaper rents, or renting something smaller or less updated then you would prefer. Either that or you will have to up your budget.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
On, say, $1650, you would drop rent to ~$1485 for someone with a good rental background, 2x rent deposit, 1+ months rent in hand, and a >750 credit score?

I'm just wondering if the higher rentals are even worth looking at? And, outside of location, I don't think they are worth all that much. I know Farmington seems to be like this amazing place to locals, but should rent really match that of Boston burbs or Silicon Valley? Is there something I'm missing? Something locals are really into?
I do not think you really understand how rental prices work. Farmington is one of Hartford's most desirable suburbs so it will command and get rent prices that are among the highest in the region. It is not near what you would pay for a comparable rental in a comparable community outside Boston or Silicon Valley in California (though Fairfield County will).

I am sorry but you are really coming off that you think that the greater Hartford area is beneath you or at least that you would rather be in Boston or California. What you are missing is that there are great areas to live outside the ones near the largest cities in the country. Unlike Boston, we do not have the congestion, noise and aggrevation of living in a large city. You can drive 10 minutes and be in some of the most beautiful countryside in the country. You can drive an easy hour north and be in the mountains, an easy hour south and be at the beach or 2 hours to southwest and be in one of the greatest cities in the world (which is New York, not Boston). You can go to fabulous restaurants and not have to wait for hours for a table. You can go to world class theater without paying through the nose or waiting months for tickets. The quality of life here is very high and if you cannot appreciate it, maybe you should reconsider moving here. Jay

Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
That area is also among the best school districts in the state. Families are willing to pay for top schools and nice homes with conveniences close by. If the prices are too high for you then simply look in lower rent areas in the surrounding towns such as Bristol, Windsor, or Newington.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
For the rent reduction scenario you provided, 1600 for a one year, maybe 1575 for a two year contract. Unlikely to get landlord down farther unless unit is empty and it's end of month and you're going to move in next week, so they'd be losing a month of rent unless they get you in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut