Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:50 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I live in an area where I don't know as if anyone would do anything for me in a pinch. I have never found the people in CT to be cold and miserable but that is more than likely because I am not cold and miserable. My realtionships with my friends run a lot deeper than a casual 'Ma'am' or 'Sir' as well and I truly think that is worth more.

Wake County is not known for its school systems and a friend of mine, who is a teacher, left the system to teach in Johnston County. She has indicated that Wake is in poor shape, only getting worse and is so glad to be out of there.

There is a beauty in CT that can not be surpassed at times. And the best part is that it is right outside your window. It rises above the whole commuter mentality and cookie cutter life style too. It really is the definiton of quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 05:57 PM

193 posts, read 245,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_labrador View Post
- Bible belt... or close enough. Scary stuff. If you’re jacked up on Christ this is the place to live.
I'm originally from NC, though I've lived in Austin, TX for quite awhile, and this made me laugh.

A friend of mine who is originally from a small NC town and now lives in LA says that "all people (in his hometown) want to do is eat barbecue and talk about Jesus."

Anyway, NC is really a great place to call home but I too would prefer San Diego/Portland/Seattle. I can also understand why some people, particularly northerners, would never feel like they "fit" in North Carolina. Lucky for them I-95 also runs North.

Last edited by HookEmHorns; 03-26-2007 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
On my own trips to Raleigh, I never saw a confererate flag anywhere. I saw many flags for the college basketball teams. I imagine a few folks probably do have confederate flags, like the one I saw on a truck in East Hampton CT recently.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 AM

wanderintonc - That is a good point - I don't see any around where I live but if I head down to the South of Raleigh (Garner comes to mind), I have a seen a few down there. But for the most part, you are dealing with transplants.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmegger83 View Post
Funny, I know, but they both looked at me with smiles and one said "Oh, bless your heart!!" Now why couldn't they give me a dirty look and say "shove it"? I'm not a fan of the fake attitude.
THAT'S what I'm taking about when I say relationships are very superficial there. I hate fake, detest it. Tell me how it is, and I'll eat the meat and spit out the bones. Don't give me some mamby pamby "bless your heart" deal. Personally I think blowing smoke up someones rear is more insulting than telling them the truth.

Quote:
The accents. I thought they were cute before the cruise. Now they're just annoying. I'm not a fan of those who sing when they speak.
Yep. I think a lot of accents are annoying including some you here around here but something about the VA/NC/SC/GA accent grates me to the bone.

Texas? Not really so much. Can't explain it.

Quote:
Sorry for the rant, but I would NEVER move to a place that lacks culture, honesty and open-mindedness just to save a few dollars. In CT, you get what you pay for.
That's been my take as well. After adding it all up, "cheap" just wasn't worth it for me...so I did a "YOUEE" ( )and headed home.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Bighouse9 posted this on the "time to leave ct" thread. I took the liberty of reversing the states' names. I think that the message is appropriate for this thread too.

"We all get it, you don't like NC. I have a feeling you will find the poor aspect [sic] of things wherever you go, even in CT. The prople [sic] in NC are wonderful folks and it is a beautiful area with so much to do. Try to concentrate on the positives of things and I am sure you will find more of a better quality of life."

Old 03-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Horns, you are so off. I have gone out of my way to not bash NC. I have tried to make valid points for others in a logical and reasonable way and share my experiences. Try opening you rmind to other opinions. Physician heal thyself as it is obvious you want to find the negative in this stuff. Now go and troll another board.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 PM

BigHouse9: My comments weren't directed at you. To my knowledge you have not bashed NC (though other folks certainly have). I simply wanted to properly attribute the quote.

My point was that some people simply will not be happy no matter where they find themselves.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 PM

139 posts, read 636,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
My point was that some people simply will not be happy no matter where they find themselves.
Hey, I resemble that quote

Sort of like, "no matter where you go, there you are."

Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 PM

15 posts, read 49,405 times
If I had a job and a house in Hartford...I wouldn't leave

I live in Fairfield County and the expense and congestion just aren't worth it

Having lived upstate I experienced the Hartford area - Its a great place for a family - the cost of living is pretty good (especially comparative to Fairfield County) - and the people are freindlier and less stuck up - Also people from Hartford County have no conception of the term "traffic" - Your cars actually move on the highway! -

CT isn't a place where i'd spend my youth (why i'm moving) but if I had a family the Hartford area is great -
Its like that UConn commercial though - I like CT, But where are the jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut