Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:06 PM

129 posts, read 566,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Linda,
Cost of living is NOT cheaper here and we have come to realize that the hard way. Summers are much more hot here than in CT, don't know what Alaska has to do with anything. There are some communities without HOA's but they really are far and few between. Education is nowhere near as good here as in CT.

Some of the things that you cannot see until you come here and live are the traffic and infrastructure issues. Much more of a cookie cutter bland lifestyle.
BigHouse9,
I think you skimmed over what I said. I live and HAVE lived in Wake County 20 years, my husband has for 32 years. He's a contractor and knows much of what is happening in the Cary/RTP/Morrisville area since he is right on Davis Dr.
I agree the summers are hotter here, but we are in the South not the North. I remember growing up in CT we could get a cross breeze and be fine. That just will not happen down here. I changed Alaska to CT since that is the comparison and not to confuse the issue any further.

My 3 kids are in the WCPSS, and I do have insight on the WCPSS. I beg to differ on education...Wake County is 3rd in the nation by statistics so it appears to be better.
As for cost of living....I totally disagree. My best friend in CT had to move in with her mother last year to save the family home because heating costs were too high. Sad but true. I will never forget when my grandmother retired and had to down size her home (my grandfather built) to an apartment because she could not afford the TAXES. A higher H2O bill is far better than 2x or 3x the tax bill or heating costs. What will $200K buy in CT vs here. 1/2 the home, maybe a garage, and 2x taxes.
Anything I have stated is from personal experience not because I am on the outside looking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
BigHouse9,
Anything I have stated is from personal experience not because I am on the outside looking in.
Same here. We just see it differently, that is all.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,302 times
What's 'cookie-cutter bland' to one person sounds like nirvana to another. A nice normal life in a nice normal home that I can actually afford, sounds wonderful! I can't wait to find out for myself (awaiting job transfers). I'll always like Ct too and will visit (family here) but our future is there, I truly believe.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
What's 'cookie-cutter bland' to one person sounds like nirvana to another. A nice normal life in a nice normal home that I can actually afford, sounds wonderful! I can't wait to find out for myself (awaiting job transfers). I'll always like Ct too and will visit (family here) but our future is there, I truly believe.
Agreed that to each his own. For me seeing house after house that looks identical and was probably built within a week of the next one with identical sized lots surrounded by strip malls, and divided blvds with light after light after light is not "a nice normal life" or "nirvana". Some folks love working in a sea of cubicals. I go out of my mind.

The only difference I will point out, is those of us making comment actually made the move and actuall lived or are currently living in NC. I certainly wish you the best, and hope you don't find you made a mistake as it's not easy to reverse a large life decision like that.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 AM

15 posts, read 49,408 times
Yes, this state is dying

The future - The young educated people of this state are leaving in droves. I graduated from Uconn and for every kid you hear of who got a job in CT theres 2 who left for Phoenix or D.C, etc.

The state or the newspapers can spin it however they like.

From first-hand experience the job market for the under 30 crowd is infinitely better outside of the state.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 AM

106 posts, read 369,341 times
Not true! You can become a corrections officer I agree except for major league white collar jobs CT is becoming a retail service state in terms of employment - meaning people are finishing college and working at Home Depot or the mall. We used to be a huge defense contracting state and for such a tiny state we had a major firearms industry. Now it's wheedled away and we're being used as a place to live for those working in NYC.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
Not true! You can become a corrections officer I agree except for major league white-collar jobs CT is becoming a retail service state in terms of employment - meaning people are finishing college and working at Home Depot or the mall. We used to be a huge defense contracting state and for such a tiny state we had a major firearms industry. Now it's wheedled away and we're being used as a place to live for those working in NYC.
This is true of the industrial North as a whole. The manufacturing shift started in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan during the very early '80s when the industrial landscape changed (READ: went overseas). New York and New England were able to bear the brunt of it fdue to the large number of white-collar jobs. But now jobs in these areas are heading to North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Texas.

The transition to a service-based economy hasn't been easy. The reasons are many: a labor force that was very union-oriented, unskilled, complacent, living beyond its means, etc.

Being a former-New Yorker, many of us are familiar with the two factories (beer and frozen foods) in Upstate New York where laborers were paid well beyond market. Long story short, both factories closed. Workers making in the 30- or 40-thousand dollar range (this was the '80s!) were only able to find work in the low 20s resulting in many losing their homes.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 15,555 times
Hi Linda, I like your explanation about to live in Raleigh. I am living in Orlando, FL and have 3 kids in High School. Could you please tell me wich High School will be good for them. My daughter love dance class, one of my sons plays trumpet at Jazz Band, and the other one loves to play soccer. They are good students and we are a family who loves the nature.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:44 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra M View Post
Hi Linda, I like your explanation about to live in Raleigh. I am living in Orlando, FL and have 3 kids in High School. Could you please tell me wich High School will be good for them. My daughter love dance class, one of my sons plays trumpet at Jazz Band, and the other one loves to play soccer. They are good students and we are a family who loves the nature.
If you love nature, Raleigh is far from a "nature center". More like suburban sprawl than anything else. If you are set on NC go further West or towards the shore in a smaller town - Raleigh is just stuck in the middle of not much besides muddy lakes and subdivisions.

VA will have a lot to offer as will most of the NE states. New England is a nature lovers paradise.

Just something to think about.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:33 PM

129 posts, read 566,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra M View Post
I think all these activities will be offered to them no matter which school they attend. Of course some schools will have better programs for them to participate in than others. To find all 3 activites in 1 school that excel any other HS can be tough. Such as, 1 HS might have the best football team while another has the best chorus.

If they plan on attending college, I would ask myself...is 1 of the children
a candidate for a full scholarship to a college because of their talent or are 2 of them or all 3? That will help you begin your focus towards a particular HS. I know it is hard to single out 1 child, I have 3 myself, but we know if 1 has particular potential the others don't.
Remember there are many programs outside of school to participate in as well.

Also if grades are a major issue I would look for a high scoring HS to help ensure you they get prepared for college if they plan on attending.

Contrary to the above post there are many things to occupy ones time outdoors. There are bike ridding clubs, nature parks, many lakes, trails, amphitheaters, etc. It is all what you make it.

Hope this helps some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut