Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 02:42 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times

Advertisements

Think the only people I met in CT are from Virginia, Texas, PA, Ohio, Maine, MA, NC and NH. Most of them had ties up here the rest not sure why they made the move ha. Most of the people I know have moved from CT to FL, MA, Texas, Washington State, and California.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:48 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Think the only people I met in CT are from Virginia, Texas, PA, Ohio, Maine, MA, NC and NH. Most of them had ties up here the rest not sure why they made the move ha. Most of the people I know have moved from CT to FL, MA, Texas, Washington State, and California.
you forget NYC, Westchester County, Long Island

Old 04-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Haven't met much from NYC area just a few retirees in Litchfield County area. Know a few who transplant out of the Westchester area to Putnam County NY though.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:42 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
CT Blowing Chance To Fix Property Tax Problem - Hartford Courant

Old 04-02-2016, 06:08 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Excellent. What area are you in?
I'm in College Station, TX.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:12 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times
Yale is not native to New Haven, btw. But Yale has built a life in New Haven with many tangled webs. It has also taken 3 centuries to build a big campus, which you just can't leave. GE can just move into a new skyscraper. Not so for Yale. It'll take a lot to uproot Yale from New Haven.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
I don't think the author is a CT native, otherwise he would know exactly why we have 169 separate towns with separate zoning laws.

This is also very wrong when they state

"Wasylenko specifically recommended that Connecticut increase its housing production and decrease its housing costs by easing zoning restrictions to compete economically with neighboring states. Unfortunately, towns will never allow this so long as their fiscal interests lie in inflating property values and reducing education costs."

Towns in CT never seek to reduce education costs. If we're lucky costs may remain flat for one or two years, but they always rise.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:46 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
This is an important part of the calculation that I overlooked when I was first thinking of leaving CT. I was considering moving to Greenville SC, where $46,000 income was supposedly equivalent to $60,000 here. Seems like a great improvement in COL. However, if the COL was 24% lower or whatever that is, the salaries turned out be even less than that, something like 30% or more lower. In the end, you'd be left with a truly lower standard of living.

And that does not even factor in things like social security which depends solely on income (COL being irrelevant) to determine how much money you will have in retirement. You really want to spend your working years in a high income area. The low COL havens will still be waiting for you when you're done.
I wouldnt move anywhere making less than what i was making. I move from ct to sc outside of charleston making my same salary. The col is what you make it. Its hard to go by average data. My monthly light bill in ct was around $175 to $250 and i wasnt home much. My light bill in sc with ac set on 71 72 is around $100. But at the end of the day its not solely about money. Its about where you see yourself at.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't think the author is a CT native, otherwise he would know exactly why we have 169 separate towns with separate zoning laws.

"Wasylenko specifically recommended that Connecticut increase its housing production and decrease its housing costs by easing zoning restrictions to compete economically with neighboring states. Unfortunately, towns will never allow this so long as their fiscal interests lie in inflating property values and reducing education costs."

Towns in CT never seek to reduce education costs. If we're lucky costs may remain flat for one or two years, but they always rise.
State/Towns could do all that and just add a small school tax to the bill.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:41 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
State/Towns could do all that and just add a small school tax to the bill.
First rule of tax club is to NEVER add a tax. Second rule of tax club is NEVER add a tax. Once a tax is implemented it will never go away. We also don't need to copy Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut