Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
It's not normal for large corporations to move their headquarters. It's unusual. UTC has been moving division HQs out of Connecticut for a long time now. You can bury your head in the sand or do something about it.
The only one I know of is Hamilton Sunstrand which merged with Goodrich to form UTC Aerospace Systems. It was based in Windsor Locks where there still is a massive facility that UTC is upgrading right now. Don't know of any others. Jay

Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Not sure if anyone focused that two agencies downgraded connecticuts bond rating. Basically lower bond ratings equal Connecticut pays a premium on bonds issued which means higher payments. Blah blah blah.

Not a bad thing. The next round of bonds issued is $510 million. I will be buying Connecticut bonds. Just because CT isn't doin so hot doesn't mean we all have to suffer and complain. I'm taking advantage!!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
61 Additional Judicial Layoffs Push Statewide Total to Nearly 1,000 - Hartford Courant

Aetna Will Keep HQ in Hartford 'Until Further Notice'

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-a...520-story.html

Old 05-20-2016, 11:51 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
CT has highest unemployment rate in New England, East Coast, rank 40th out 50th states

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Connecticut jobless rate remained at 5.7 percent in April | The CT Mirror

Old 05-20-2016, 12:08 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
What does Aetna mean by 'until further notice'?! Is it until they get some type of bailout or does it mean once they open up Louisville?

Sounds to me like they are mimicking GE with there " real estate team".

Old 05-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What does Aetna mean by 'until further notice'?! Is it until they get some type of bailout or does it mean once they open up Louisville?

Sounds to me like they are mimicking GE with there " real estate team".
My guess is he is trying to negotiate a deal with Malloy and is putting maximum leverage on them until a deal is done. That has been what business experts have been saying since the merger was announced last year. Personally I am against the mergers. I think it just creates companies that are too big to serve the people properly. Just look at the banks. Hard to argue with Bernie when he says they should be broken up. "Too big to fail" meant nothing back in 2008. The same could happen with the giant insurance companies. Jay

Old 05-20-2016, 12:27 PM

413 posts, read 317,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My guess is he is trying to negotiate a deal with Malloy and is putting maximum leverage on them until a deal is done. That has been what business experts have been saying since the merger was announced last year. Personally I am against the mergers. I think it just creates companies that are too big to serve the people properly. Just look at the banks. Hard to argue with Bernie when he says they should be broken up. "Too big to fail" meant nothing back in 2008. The same could happen with the giant insurance companies. Jay
A better guess is that like GE (gone), UTC (moving HQs out), Aetna is going away probably later this year.

And more Bernie votes ain't gonna keep them. It's the reason they are running -not walking- out of the state. Connecticut has one of the worse business climates in America. Hartford is bleeding population and jobs.

Time to try something different.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:41 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
IMO, for Aetna and Cigna, it would be very easy for them to change the HQ to Louisville and Indianapolis after their mergers. I don't know why they wouldn't, to be honest - they have nothing to lose and a lot to gain in terms of corporate taxes. They can keep their current offices in CT without having to move that many people. It's just the C-suite that would need to be based at HQ (IF they still are "the c-suite" after the mergers). I'm sure in both cases they are talking to CT to get concessions, or will after the mergers go through.

Last edited by BicoastalAnn; 05-20-2016 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-20-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
A better guess is that like GE (gone), UTC (moving HQs out), Aetna is going away probably later this year.

And more Bernie votes ain't gonna keep them. It's the reason they are running -not walking- out of the state. Connecticut has one of the worse business climates in America. Hartford is bleeding population and jobs.

Time to try something different.
What headquarters has UTC moved out? I have yet to see an answer. Jay

Old 05-20-2016, 02:54 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Glass Door: Hartford No. 25 For Jobs In America - Hartford Courant

Another list, but another in a trend that puts Hartford-area up with many other cities for young professionals. The area's that are losing population continue to be exurb and ultra suburban communities. Let's see how the next generation of home buyers balances commute v space before we write an obituary on the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut