Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Non sequitur.

"Hartford" politicians come from...................................where?
If you think that Hartford politicians never lie to get elected, keep their election promises, never cheat, never deceive, never scheme and connive to empower and enrich themselves -- then I got another Brooklyn Bridge to sell you. Sweet dreams!!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:48 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
If you think that Hartford politicians never lie to get elected, keep their election promises, never cheat, never deceive, never scheme and connive to empower and enrich themselves -- then I got another Brooklyn Bridge to sell you. Sweet dreams!!

What does that have to do with them coming from 169 towns and cities in CT?

If you can't continue an intelligent conversation, don't bother posting. Your post above is just gibberish.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
By that token, are you in favor of each town setting their own sales tax rate? Or their own gas tax rate? Or their own emissions fee rate? Or their own registration fee rate? I could go on and on, but i think my point has been made.
That's not a bad point. However, there are certain taxes that would impede commerce. Imagine if businesses would need to charge different sales tax in different towns. That would be a nightmare.

Same with environmental rules and motor vehicles. Imagine if each town had their own rules!! That would be a royal custer****.

Property is different. You can go to somebody's house, and you can assess the house or car. Towns have developed an assessment system and know how to deal with it for many decades.

And you as homeowner don't deal with many towns, just your own town.

One more thing -- as a resident where can you affect lawmaking more -- in your town or on the state?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
What does that have to do with them coming from 169 towns and cities in CT?

If you can't continue an intelligent conversation, don't bother posting. Your post above is just gibberish.
While I think your post is very ignorant of the realities. Do you know that we have a professional political class, regardless where they are originally from? Why does it matter that they came for 169 towns or 75.

Re-read my post after you emerge from the rock you live under.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That's not a bad point. However, there are certain taxes that would impede commerce. Imagine if businesses would need to charge different sales tax in different towns. That would be a nightmare.

Same with environmental rules and motor vehicles. Imagine if each town had their own rules!! That would be a royal custer****.

Property is different. You can go to somebody's house, and you can assess the house or car. Towns have developed an assessment system and know how to deal with it for many decades.

And you as homeowner don't deal with many towns, just your own town.

One more thing -- as a resident where can you affect lawmaking more -- in your town or on the state?

Real property is different. It is unique. It is fixed.

Mass produced auto's? Not particularly unique. And they're movable objects.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 AM

Now even the Feds are coming to fight corruption of politicians in CT. Feds form team to fight corruption in Connecticut | FOX CT

And the Feds will just look at a small part of corruption, but they will not touch systemic corruption, electoral corruption, such as politicians lying to get elected, then go to Hartford and do something different from election promises. And I can go on forever.

These are the people we put our trust in?

Old 02-10-2015, 03:29 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
For the sake of Connecticut, I really hope this bill does not get passed!

Property tax reform fight heats up | HartfordBusiness.com

That is all we need. Tax the burbs more to compensate for the lack tax revenue of the Cities. How about making people that live in the Cities actually get jobs. No, instead we keep giving more welfare out. What a backwards way of thinking. I don't work hard so I can pay for Sha-na-na and her 3 kids to wear Jordan's. if CT passes this, I hope people will leave. I know I will.
This will hinge on whether suburban Dems will support this. My guess is they will not.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM

You can bet on politicians devising "innovative" schemes to tax the hell out of people. Democrats and Republicans are in a race who can launder more taxpayer-money through their hands. So they need new sources of avenue. It'll never end.

Even if it dies, another scheme will pop up, or this one will be revived a few years down the road. Just look at Congestion Pricing in NYC. It was killed 8 years ago, now it is back!!!

They never stop.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:25 PM

287 posts, read 623,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
This will hinge on whether suburban Dems will support this. My guess is they will not.
Of course they won't. Can you imagine Westport folks wanting their children to go to school with non-Westport kids? Only a matter of time until there's regionalization of schools, too…….

Old 02-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Not an unexpected surprise, but a loss of a local merchant:

Classic 'Toy Story' to end in Fairfield: Blinn's plans to close - Connecticut Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut