Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Today at noon, Malloy will announce his budget to the General Assembly. On the whole, it looks like gimmicks, fake promises and lies. The reduction in sales tax is a joke (he was the one who raised it) because he is keeping the tax on clothing so that is a zero sum. He is reducing hospital reimbursements and closing a prison. No State layoffs or early retirement plans.

The Malloy solution: Deep cuts, new tax revenue, deferred promises | The CT Mirror

The one thing he is keeping is the surtax on businesses.

CT is a loser state as it is in regards to businesses. There are no big companies knocking down our doors to come to CT. Doing this proves "CT is Not open for business."

I thought 2015 was CT's Year, looking forward I see nothing more than more part time jobs and small businesses closings.
My business is doing just fine here. I also operated businesses in Texas. Essentially no difference. I think this is the case because I don't think much about the government in terms of operating my company. I don't care who the governor, or president is-- I just try to make decisions good for my business and employees.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Maybe if you're big and important enough to join the race for the bottom-- but we're just too damn small.

Connecticut has one of highest percentages of self-employed and small business ownership. Most people work in a small business, not a large one.

Regardless of what you think of state budget, it has less to do with business success than you think. Why not blame opportunistic businesses that move to their units to right-to-work states where workers are unprotected and can be paid 30% less?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I thought 2015 was CT's Year, looking forward I see nothing more than more part time jobs and small businesses closings.
Then you have little signs embedded in news stories: Police Urge Awareness Amid Spike in Burglaries

From the article:
Quote:
Also, there have been numerous copper thefts, in which thieves steal copper piping and other scrap metals from within vacant buildings, he said. There are many vacant houses in town, creating targets for thieves seeking to steal metals for their scrap value, he said.
The part I bolded is not something that would have been said about Newtown a decade ago.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Then you have little signs embedded in news stories: Police Urge Awareness Amid Spike in Burglaries

From the article:

The part I bolded is not something that would have been said about Newtown a decade ago.
I don't believe they mean abandoned homes, just homes that are not immediately being occupied like in between new tenants or owners, vacationers or snowbirds down south for the winter. There have pretty much always been these types of vacant homes in Newtown and there are many in every town. Jay

Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 PM

720 posts, read 920,160 times
Default CT Future Economy

Positive article.

UConn think tank predicts state’s economy will flourish in 2015 | The CT Mirror

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Connecticut is one of the only states where the economy has improved since pre-recession levels. Much of the middle class is in disgust with how this state is being run because of high taxes and dishonesty within our own government. I do think 2015 would be a great year for Connecticut. The governor has proposed some good things for our state and even though it has some negativity. You cant seem to please the people of Connecticut anymore because we've been lied too and beat to the bush. I watched the governors budget address today and I liked some of the things he mentioned. One of them was lowering sales tax which is one of the states largest revenue gainers and eliminating the unpopular business entity tax. He is also calling for a 30 year transportation plan which includes widen Interstate 95, replacing the Hartford viaduct, and fixing the Waterbury mixmaster, just to name a few. I dont think its necessary to widen all of Interstate 95. I think its too complex and will cost too much money. Widening Interstate 95 from Stamford to New Haven seems more reasonable. In my opinion, i think the state should lower the car tax and gas tax while adding tolls on Interstate 95 in Greenwich and Stonington, Interstate 91 in Enfield, and Interstate 84 in Danbury and Union. Connecticut residents would pay less in toll fees than residents out of the state because Virginia, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey drivers combined make up more highway drivers than in state drivers alone. Connecticut is the heart of the northeastern market and if you want to drive to anywhere in New England from the south, you HAVE to drive through Connecticut. Have them pay for it. Its unfair for us to pay tolls in MA and NY so why not here. Its one of the reasons why we have so much traffic. Out of the state drivers are driving through here because they dont want to pay to use the highway. When im talking about tolls, im not talking about the stop and pay tolls. Im talking about the electronic tolls that you see in New Hampshire and other parts of the country.

Last edited by HumpDay; 02-18-2015 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 07:23 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't believe they mean abandoned homes, just homes that are not immediately being occupied like in between new tenants or owners, vacationers or snowbirds down south for the winter.
They're not abandoned. They are empty because they aren't selling and the 'owners' have moved out. The number of homes in that status in Newtown is vastly larger than it was pre-2008.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Looks like the new outlet mall at Foxwoods will be adding a lot of new jobs (+900). That is good news. Jay

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/arti...WS01/150219918

Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks like the new outlet mall at Foxwoods will be adding a lot of new jobs (+900). That is good news. Jay

Tanger to hire 900+ for Foxwoods outlet stores | HartfordBusiness.com
What a horribly written article. Tanger isn't hiring those people-- The outlets themselves are.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
As Jim Calhoun once said "Not a dime back" he didn't care about the state, I thought he was 100 percent correct and it was hilarious

Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
If anyone sees anything regarding cuts to the votech high schools please post it. It would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut